Options

What is Best SEO technique for Captions and Keywords

jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
edited February 1, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Ok I have always been fuzzy about what to put in photo caption and keywords for SEO best practice.

for example if i have 400 photos of Jen's Sweet 16 birthday party in DC should i just bulk copy and paste text - Jen's Sweet 16 birthday party DC

in every caption of all the photos?

And copy paste same keywords in every photo - sweet 16,birthday party,DC

Is this correct and good for SEO? Or would having the same captions and keywords for all the photos be considered spamming and hurt my SEO instead which someone said might happen if you have duplicate captions and keywords?

I don't relish having to create unique captions and keywords for all 400 photos.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2014
    Captions and keywords should be specific to what can be seen in each photo as that's a key to allowing search engines to determine what is in the photo. I'd advise against using the same caption / keywords since search engines indeed might see this as a form of spam or simply could ignore additional photos.
    After all, the gallery title / gallery description usually already includes this sort of information.

If you have to choose between creating individual captions and keywords, I'd say keywords are more important.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    jinspinjinspin Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2014
    Thanks. This is reply i got from smug support - Yes, captions should not be used like keywords. You don't have to use captions, the keywords will do the SEO for you. Just don't make the captions the same as the keywords or that could be considered bloating.
    So duplicate keywords is ok but duplicate captions is not ok if you have hundreds of photos in gallery.
    Being able to do bulk duplicate captions is what is misleading then. It makes you think it is ok to duplicate captions just like keywords - which can hurt your SEO. And this is not explained anywhere that I have seen.
    So for SEO best practice if i have hundreds of photos of same event it is ok to bulk duplicate keywords on all photos but I would leave captions blank - unless i can put something unique in captions for a photo beyond gallery description.
  • Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2014
    So are titles and captions treated the same with respect to SEO?