Options

Help...what is this in the picture?

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited December 19, 2005 in Technique
I shot some pics of the house lit up for Christmas...and they were not all that good, but I at least learned that I need to take a flashlight with me next time (digital is so nice to be able to try try again!).:rofl

Anyway, in looking at them, a few have these "green dots", one of which I have circled below. They seem to match the spacing of the front porch lights, which are far too overexposed in this photo. What causes this? How do I eliminate?

48954428-M.jpg

For the record, I am shooting with a Rebel XT, ISO 200 (probably an issue), and on a tripod at long exposure. I am using a 35-80 MM USM, that was a significant upgrade at the time from a kit lens (on my film Rebel xs). So not high end glass, but hopefully better than the kit lens.

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 19, 2005
    Might be some flare caused by the angle those over exposed lights hit the lens. If it is flare, that is. I see a little twinkle over on the far left window too (different color though). So maybe they are reflections ne_nau.gif

Tough to shoot Xmas lights. It makes it easier if you shoot these places within an hour after sunset. There's not as much difference between the sky and the lights. Any latter and you wind up under exposing the house (unless you paint with light) while still over exposing the lights headscratch.gif Or, you could try blending 2 different exposures. Take on for the highlights and one for the shadows then combine in PS. Of course you need to make sure to use a tripod and change speed not aperture.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero