Newer Light Ring

PixelCharmPixelCharm Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited February 7, 2014 in Holy Macro
Hey I've started with taking macro shots. I was researching and saw that it helps if you have a light ring. I checked on line (I have the Canon Rebel 4ti) - and I don't want to invest a lot of money until I have played a bit.

So I bought a cheap Newer Macro Ring Light for $30.00
any thoughts or suggestions?
Anyone use this?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,065 moderator
    edited January 31, 2014
    I moved this to the "Holy Macro" forum, where we discuss things relating to macro and close focus photography.

A ring light designed for macro and close focus is often a valuable addition. It's not a "magic bullet" for lighting, however. (It will not solve all of your macro lighting problems.)

Macro and close focus photography can use all sorts of different lighting, depending on the subject matter. Please review the content of this thread:

[thread=64695]Macro Lighting discussion[/thread]
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2014
    Assuming it is a LED light it will be useful when taking shots where you need some extra light.
    I'm not sure it is capable of taking the role of a full blown flash where you use the flash to supply most if not all of the light and use the short duration time of the flash as a way of increasing the effective shutter time. This technique is very useful for moving subjects.

Brian V.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited February 7, 2014
    Post a few pics for us to look at , ring lights are not the best type of light available for good lighting in macro shooting.
    Depends on what subjects you are shooting. Good for studio work static objects .