Options

OOYCZ Challenges #3 Instructions - Tell Me A Story

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited February 12, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is the Instructions thread for OOYCZ Challenge #3. You have from February 1, 2014 till February 22 , 2014 to shoot before I put up the entry thread. Then you will have 3 more days before entries will be closed.

I will be out of town for most of the month, but will have access to internet and will do my best to post the entry thread in the morning of the 22nd (if not late the night before).

Please note that I have extended the shooting time to 3 weeks. That should give everyone plenty of time to capture just the right image. I have made changes to the OOYCZ Challenge Guide to reflect this change, as well as added a clause that you may critique or comment on final images AFTER the points have been posted, this is for those who did not get a chance to enter. Please read the OOYCZ Guide before you enter.

The theme this time around is "Tell me a story". Your image MUST have people in it. Whether it is a set up and posed image or a spontaneous capture, the image must tell a story on its own without words. It would be up to the viewer to decide what kind of story it is telling.

As a spin, it might be fun if during critiquing, the people who are critiquing say a sentence or two about their interpretation of what the story could be! But this part will be OPTIONAL. The owner of the image should NOT tell us what the real story is behind the image until after the Final points are given out.

Here are some examples:

This one was posed: #1
JMMed1371-L.jpg

Posed: #2
jmmed2261d-L.jpg

Spontaneous: #3
JMM_1822edbw-L.jpg

Spontaneous: #4
JMM_1751ed-L.jpg

Spontaneous: #5
JMM_1818ed-L.jpg

Just for fun, everyone and anyone can comment on this thread about the above images. What story do you see in each of the images? If you only want to do one image, go for it! Maybe give them captions too. Have fun!

Comments

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    I won't do the posed ones although I really like the first one. Looks like sisters who are telling secrets. But I am uncomfortable with photos of children in some cases as I feel they are vulnerable in that they probably can't or won't refuse to have their photos taken and therefore they are easy prey for photographers. I have, however taken some for this challenge, but they are not my children (or grandchildren).

I'm guessing that #3 is a man begging at someplace perhaps in India near where there is a market and people have parked their motorbikes (guessing a market as there appear to be people in the background with bags which might be purchases).

#4. I'm guessing that these women have some items (scarves - beads) to sell (maybe to tourists) and they are gossiping while waiting for some to pass that they can sell stuff to.

#5 I'm not sure - looks like a man with money in his hand leaning against a car, but I don't know why.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2014
    Anyone working on this challenges? Or is it too OOYCZ?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2014
    I am but I just downloaded a bunch of photos from my camera today. Are you going to tell us how close our guesses are?
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2014
    JAG wrote: »

I think it would help if this type of challenge was in a separate folder. The other challenges use a single thread for all the submissions, where this one uses separate threads for each contestant. With different titles for each OOYCZ thread it can be confusing as to which thread a person critiqued, plus the other two challenges - mini and alphabet, update the highest level thread. Thus, a person can't quickly see what the latest posting is for a OOYCZ competition.

Call it "Dgrin Critique Challenge", or something similar and after a contest is over archive all the threads and start a new OOYCZ challenge in a clean folder. This folder would be under "Shots" and under "The Dgrin Challenges".

Just a thought.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2014
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I won't do the posed ones although I really like the first one. Looks like sisters who are telling secrets. But I am uncomfortable with photos of children in some cases as I feel they are vulnerable in that they probably can't or won't refuse to have their photos taken and therefore they are easy prey for photographers. I have, however taken some for this challenge, but they are not my children (or grandchildren).

I'm guessing that #3 is a man begging at someplace perhaps in India near where there is a market and people have parked their motorbikes (guessing a market as there appear to be people in the background with bags which might be purchases).

#4. I'm guessing that these women have some items (scarves - beads) to sell (maybe to tourists) and they are gossiping while waiting for some to pass that they can sell stuff to.

#5 I'm not sure - looks like a man with money in his hand leaning against a car, but I don't know why.

The posed ones were for DSS challenges years ago that I entered. The children used are now almost fully grown and are my youngest daughter and her best friend. I had their permission as well as the parents of her best friend. The kids always loved to pose for me as I tried to tell stories with my images. Whether the stories were real or make believe to them.

#3, 4 and 5 was taken in Antiqua Guatemala . The man begging was somewhere in the middle of town where all the action was going on. The contrast was that everyone ignored him. Except for myself, no one noted he even existed. The two ladies were vendors haggling out territory issues and the guy with the money was outside a corner store. It was payday that day in Guatemala, there were lines at the banks that stretched around corners and were very long.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2014
    I think it would help if this type of challenge was in a separate folder. The other challenges use a single thread for all the submissions, where this one uses separate threads for each contestant. With different titles for each OOYCZ thread it can be confusing as to which thread a person critiqued, plus the other two challenges - mini and alphabet, update the highest level thread. Thus, a person can't quickly see what the latest posting is for a OOYCZ competition.

Call it "Dgrin Critique Challenge", or something similar and after a contest is over archive all the threads and start a new OOYCZ challenge in a clean folder. This folder would be under "Shots" and under "The Dgrin Challenges".

Just a thought.

Phil

I am not sure what you mean. But there is only one entry thread when we do have it and then there is a critique thread. The pre posting is totally voluntary and each person starts their own thread if they choose to do so. This learning part is how the challenges use to be and what we are trying to encourage once again. I am not seeing a need for creating another challenge board. That would confuse people even more.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2014
    The top photo of the kids is adorable. I wasn't criticizing your children but the photos that I've taken of my own children, sometimes they don't like to see them 45 years later.

I posted some additional photos for criticism in the thread I started. I'd like to know what others think of them
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited February 12, 2014
    JAG wrote: »

At this point, it's a long shot whether or not I will be entering this challenge. We were without power for 4 days with below freezing temps (no generator, no auxiliary heaters), are still dealing with problems from the power outage, and have another storm hitting us tonight with the potential for lots of snow, high winds and possibility of more power outages.