Options

About the home page.

EllenmacEllenmac Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited February 1, 2014 in SmugMug Customization
As a new user of Smugmug and a senior (not that computer literate ) I have not found how to get only the Galleries to show on the home page instead of pictures. I would appreciate any help here. Hope it is not to complicated. I watched some video clips which completely confused me.

Comments

• Options
    Smug EricSmug Eric Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 333
    edited January 31, 2014
    You should just need to go into the customize menu and drag a galleries or a folders content block onto your homepage, then in the options for that block choose where you want the block to pull the galleries or folders from in your site.
    Eric
    Support Hero and Customeister
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2014
    I must be stupid but my Galleries do not show for me to drag them on to the home page. I tried to do what you said, but no luck with that.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2014
    Ellenmac wrote: »
    I must be stupid but my Galleries do not show for me to drag them on to the home page. I tried to do what you said, but no luck with that.
    A galleries box will show a gallery group from whatever folder you set the for. Or you can set it to
    recent and few other things in "Select From".

How many galleries do you want to show?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2014
    A friend of mine has all his galleries showing on his homepage, i like that it is showing all the different categories that he has. He live in Canada and I in Australia so I cant ask him how it,s done.
    I have only four galleries so far. I figure that when I upload more pictures even though they will go in to their respective galleries they will also show up on my home page as well. I don't particular
    like that. Thank you by the way for trying to help me, but I fear I dont understand what you are talking about.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2014
    Add a folder box to your homepage and set "select from" to "current location". This will at least
    show all your category (legacy term) folders or top level folders.

Or set it to only the folders you want to show by using "choose".
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2014
    Sorry Allan, How do you create a folder box. I did make a folder I did not see a thing called to current location. I moved the folder to Ellenmac but it does not show any different from what it showed before. I watched the video for 50 some thing minutes, but by the time it was finished I had forgotten what he did.
    It is very frustrating for me, I don't consider my self stupid but this I dont understand. I am a person who like to see in written form with pictures how to do thing so I can follow the instruction better. I hate when I cant get what I would like to see. Looks I wasted my 60 dollars.
    here is my http://ellenmac.smugmug.com/ perhaps you could have a look and see were I am going wrong please.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2014
    On your homepage at the top click customize > customize site
    On the right flyout make sure "homepage" is highlighted.
    On the right flyout click the content tab

Under "Add Content Blocks" click on "navigation" to expand it then
    Find "folders" and drag with your mouse over to the page.
    - You will see a long horizontal green box show up.
    let go of the mouse

On that box (blue I think) in the left corner click on the wrench
    click basic tab
    For "Select From" set it to "top level"
    The box will now show all your top level folders (categories on legacy)
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    On your homepage at the top click customize > customize site
    On the right flyout make sure "homepage" is highlighted.
    On the right flyout click the content tab

Under "Add Content Blocks" click on "navigation" to expand it then
    Find "folders" and drag with your mouse over to the page.
    - You will see a long horizontal green box show up.
    let go of the mouse

On that box (blue I think) in the left corner click on the wrench
    click basic tab
    For "Select From" set it to "top level"
    The box will now show all your top level folders (categories on legacy)

Allan your blood needs to be bottled. I printed your message out and followed the instructions. Well my folder is now showing on the left side of my homepage. Now i need to know how do i remove the pictures which are still there on the right side, or do they need to stay there?
    Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2014
    Ellenmac wrote: »
    Allan your blood needs to be bottled. I printed your message out and followed the instructions. Well my folder is now showing on the left side of my homepage. Now i need to know how do i remove the pictures which are still there on the right side, or do they need to stay there?
    Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it.
    You can remove the existing photo box by clicking the trash can in the upper left.

You can move the new box to a page wide position. Grab the up/down arrow icon top left of box, hold mouse down, drag around till the box gos page wide.
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    You can remove the existing photo box by clicking the trash can in the upper left.

You can move the new box to a page wide position. Grab the up/down arrow icon top left of box, hold mouse down, drag around till the box gos page wide.

I did get rid of all the Photos. But the to get the new box page wide I did not manage, but it does not matter that much. I will probably add a lot more folders in the future. Thank you Allan again.clap.gif