Options

Travelling with gear at the handluggage

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited February 6, 2014 in Cameras
Hi all,
I will have to take a flight in a few days and I was only thinking taking a large backpack with me. Did you ever had problems with your gear at the handluggage? Any recommendations?

Regards
Alex

Comments

• Options
    FiddlestixFiddlestix Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2014
    I have a camera backpack in which I carry my 5D Mark III as well as 5 lenses, filters, my laptop and a few accessories and have had no problem taking it on flights either domestic or international (other than the fact that it is heavy!). I have not carried my tripod onboard but will typically pack it in my checked suitcase. Carrying the tripod in a tripod case usually is not a problem on international flights (originating outside the US) but the domestic TSA folks may balk at that idea.
    Images from SE Asia - some like it HOT
    http://fiddlefoto.smugmug.com

Cheers!
    Stix
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2014
    I travel quite often with all kinds of camera gear. Basically, Alex, my main question is: what type of gear are you hoping to transport, and what is your photographic endeavor? For example a traveling wedding photographer will want to pack their gear VERY differently than a traveling backpacker / hiker, etc.

I've been flying with lots of gear for almost 10 years now, and I've always maintained a policy of "my camera never leaves me". This means that I don't even trust carry-on overhead bin space for most / all of my most expensive bags. I put them in a bag that is small enough to go under my seat as a "personal item", which the TSA has the least, most loose regulations about. Meaning they don't care about weight or shape at all, as long as you can cram it under the seat.

In this under-seat bag, I usually put a small laptop, 1-2 camera bodies, and 2-3 lenses. This only works for mid-sized bodies, not flagship bodies with vertical grips or any lenses larger than a 24-70. Or for example you could fit a single body, one 24-70, a 16-35, and one 70-200 maybe. I use the Tenba Messenger bag for this and it is perfectly sized.

Basically, this bag contains my most expensive body/bodies and lenses.

Then in the overhead compartment: For hiking I put a larger, mid-sized backpack that has random other lenses, a spare camera body or two, and whatever other "junk" I might need such as chargers, batteries, or other accessories. However for weddings and other such jobs, I prefer to use a rolling suitcase. Pelican is the best, and they have specific sizes that are acceptable for domestic or international travel. Thinktank is also very awesome, and looks a little more incognito. (It looks just like a regular suitcase, while a Pelican always screams "expensive stuff inside!"

Good luck!
    =Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2014
    Just know that european airlines are stricter about both bag size AND weight for carry-on; they will pull you if they think it's too big/heavy. I ususally pack bags-within-bags so I can pull things out at the gate if I need to; has always worked well for me.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Backpack
    Hi.
    I was looking for a backpack that has also a separated compartment for some clothes for a day of staying.
    The major problem where I am stuck it looks like that the safe dimension should be
    50cm, 40 cm and 25cm.. which is too small. Funny is that most bags that are tagged as hand-luggages typically are larger.

1. What is the size of your hand luggage? It would be safer to stay in the dimensions other have
    2. Once in an aiport they were looking each lens separately .. they were asking me to remove caps and they were looking inside each lens.. Did you ever have similar experience?

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    Hi this was the answer that should have been here
    http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=244949

can some moderator delete this and move the above as an answer to the link above?
    I am sorry for the mess

DELETE ME PLEASE
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited February 4, 2014
    The two threads are merged.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2014
    I just wanted to also add to divamums answer.
    There are cases that in domestic european lines if the hand luggage does not fit inside the 50,40,20 cm dimensions they will force you to drop it off earlier (they might not charge you for that, but still camera and lenses will not be with you)

Alex
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    Keep in mind that if you're asked to check your carry-on it will be treated like all checked baggage; i.e., very roughly. Since I fly all the time I get priority seating and never have to check my carry-on (though I once was asked to, but I refused on the grounds that I had some very expensive camera gear in it). If you're in danger of having to check your carry-on you might want to be sure it's packed well.

I've never had a problem carrying a lot of camera gear on the plane, though I once was asked to demonstrate that the cameras and lenses actually worked. Unfortunately most of my travel assignments are for sports events, which means a 400/2.8, a 70-200/2.8, three bodies (all 1D bodies) and much other gear. I don't have the option of carrying everything on the plane, so I spit it up. It always scares me to check baggage with camera gear, but I use a well-packed hard case and lots of padding. I've never had a problem--and it's insured--but I suspect that one day my checked baggage will get lost and I'll be in trouble.

As an aside, most stadiums I shoot at require a security check. However, it is very cursory and I could hide a lot of explosives in those larger lenses if I wanted to. Always makes me a little nervous when I see another shooter that I don't recognize, especially if they look out of place.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    alaios wrote: »
    I just wanted to also add to divamums answer.
    There are cases that in domestic european lines if the hand luggage does not fit inside the 50,40,20 cm dimensions they will force you to drop it off earlier (they might not charge you for that, but still camera and lenses will not be with you)

Alex

Which is why I pack a bag-inside-a-bag so I can separate the camera gear and keep it with me, no matter what. The only time I've been asked to gate-check, that's what I did and it worked out fine.

You might also want to check out some of the purpose-designed bags for flying:

http://www.tenba.com/Categories/Carry-on-Compatible.aspx
    http://store.lowepro.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?features_lowepro=197&q=carry+on+compatible
    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/search.aspx?find=carry+on

There are others, too. Again, if you pack a smaller bag with camera gear into a standard carry-on bag, you can then split it up if there's a problem. Has always worked for me! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2014
    jhefti: thanks for the answer. divamum thanks for the links
    The think still bothers me is even tha the bags that are sometimes considered as carry on compatible they tend to have larger dimensions... If you use backpacks what is your model?

Alex
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited February 6, 2014
    The think still bothers me is even tha the bags that are sometimes considered as carry on compatible they tend to have larger dimensions... If you use backpacks what is your model?
    I use an F-Stop Loka with either a large or small Pro Series ICU depending on how many lenses I am taking with me and whether I intend to stuff my clothes for the trip in the same bag. If there isn't overhead space for the bag I can pull the ICU and place it under the seat. That lets me keep the camera and lenses with me.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2014
    jhefti: thanks for the answer. divamum thanks for the links

Alex

I don't use a backpack, but I think if you just google around you'll be able to find something well within regulation sizes. There are LOADS of quality camera-friendly backpacks out there. Check the manufacturer websites (and there are more than these, which are just the first few I thought of): Tamrac, Lowepro, Kata, Tenba, Crumpler, Thinktank, Domke, CaseLogic etc etc. There are loads of them, you just need to look to find what you need and want at the price you're willing to pay.

And, again, there is NO harm in taking a regular carry on and putting a bag with your camera gear inside it. How much gear are you trying to carry?
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited February 6, 2014
    divamum wrote: »
    ...There are LOADS of quality camera-friendly backpacks out there. Check the manufacturer websites (and there are more than these, which are just the first few I thought of): Tamrac, Lowepro, Kata, Tenba, Crumpler, Thinktank, Domke, CaseLogic etc etc. There are loads of them, you just need to look to find what you need and want at the price you're willing to pay.
    I would add F-Stop to the list of manufacturers that are worth a look.

--- Denise