Options

Disabling "new smugmug preview"

tfboytfboy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
edited February 6, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I'm still on the legacy smugmug and may look at going over to the new system in the near future.

However, since once asking for a preview, it always seems to default to the new layout. Of course, I can click on the "View legacy smugmug", but frankly, it's a pain having to do this on every category and gallery I go to.

So how can I disable the new smugmug preview? This has to be a server-side setting, yet I can't find it so am worried there's no way to disable and undo my regrettable click :(

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    Hi Xavier,

Once you've migrated to the New SmugMug, you can use New and Legacy SmugMug side by side. Your visitors will only see your Legacy site until you choose to publish your New SmugMug site.
    After logging in, the site will default to the New SmugMug - that's not something you can change. However, switching to Legacy SmugMug is something you can do with the click of a button at the top of your page and vice versa.
    For details on using New and Legacy SmugMug side by side, check out this page.

It is not possible to revert to Legacy SmugMug. Once migrated, you can only use New and Legacy SmugMug side by side until you publish your New SmugMug. I'm sorry.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    Thanks Sebastien,
    Although I have to say it's a major let down not being able to go back. I can understand once a migration has taken place, old settings might be lost, but whilst I'm sitting on the fence, it's a real annoyance to have to say "no" every time I go into a gallery. I now wish I hadn't asked for the preview if I knew it wouldn't be able to disable it.

Can support not just click a button / change a setting from their so that it's as if I had never asked for the preview at all and revert permanently to the legacy view until I'm ready to migrate? If you have both saved, surely it's easy to go back headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    tfboy wrote: »
    Thanks Sebastien,
    Although I have to say it's a major let down not being able to go back. I can understand once a migration has taken place, old settings might be lost, but whilst I'm sitting on the fence, it's a real annoyance to have to say "no" every time I go into a gallery. I now wish I hadn't asked for the preview if I knew it wouldn't be able to disable it.

Can support not just click a button / change a setting from their so that it's as if I had never asked for the preview at all and revert permanently to the legacy view until I'm ready to migrate? If you have both saved, surely it's easy to go back headscratch.gif

I'm unclear why this happens like this for you. I spent months working between the two worlds and didn't have a problem.
    I don't know what the fix is, if there is one, but my thoughts are:
    - You use the word "preview". The Preview function is funky and can cause problems. I never used it so I'm not sure what those would be. In case this is contributing, use this method instead: When in Customize mode, click DONE, then PUBLISH. Ignore Preview altogether. Publish is private to you only until you unveil, after which it's publish to the public.
    - Use one browser type for Customizing and a different browser for legacy. I think I recall that if I was Customizing, and went to view Legacy in the same browser, the system would revert me to Customize. (I think that's what happened.) As long as I stayed in Legacy in a particular browser, I don't think I got booted into Customize.

I'm not 100% sure if this was all there was to it but you might give these a try.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    OK, here's the problem.
    Each time I go to a gallery, I get this bar at the top
    3061030036_pRDqp2g-O.png

I can click on the legacy view and the bar goes away, and I get the original (what I want for now) view.
    As soon as I go to another gallery, it switches back to the new preview view so I have to click again on the legacy.

Also, the settings and customisation screens are different so each time I want to change a setting, I have to first go to legacy, then go to settings.

When the new layouts were first announced, there was an opt-in to have the preview function. It looks like as soon as you've enabled that, you can never opt-out. Each time I log in, I get this new look preview which I just don't care about right now.

It's not the end of the world, but it nags me having a particular view that I don't want forced onto me each time with no ability to disable it.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    Check to see if third party cookies are allowed. Switching back and forth between legacy
    and NewSmug I think is saved in a cookie.

That bar at the top is the NewSmug customizing menu that shows only when logged in.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    Hmm, it seems better now: I don't have to do it for each time I change gallery. If I log out and log back in, it's back though! (and I'm not blocking cookies or anything, using the same browser, etc).

Looks like I'll have to live with it, but still, it bugs me!
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    I believe SM required you to "start the ball rolling" for the new design, and part of that brings the top blue bar into your world.
    I still think if you thoroughly clear cookies and maybe re-start, and work in two different browsers, life will be more manageable. Would be interested to hear if that's the case.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2014
    It's normal that each time you log into your account, you'll see the New SmugMug first.

If you're still seeing an issue when going between galleries, that sounds like a cookie issue as others have suggested. Maybe you have some extension / add-on installed in your browser that is interfering with cookies? Try disabling all extensions.

Instead of logging in from your domain, you can try logging in via www.smugmug.com to see if that helps.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero