Options

Issue with search bar / keywords; not all photos reseponding.

TravWilliamsTravWilliams Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited February 26, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hey everyone! I'm stuck on an issue with keywords and searches:

I regularly shoot big events, use keywords to sort things, and send my client a series of links to those searches. In this case, I have uploaded a gallery of over 500 images, but only a select few photos show up in the searches. The gallery is public, allows searching, etc.

As far as I can tell, all gallery settings are normal, and the keywords ARE in the photo's metadata on Smugmug.

Everything was uploaded via Lightroom, as I usually do it, with keywords included.

Any ideas?

Example; here is a pre-searched link, showing 42 photos (should show over 100 with that search): http://www.brokenbanjo.net/search/?c=everything&n=travwilliams&scope=node&scopeValue=0&q=OSA#q=Bus+Tour%2C+organic+seed+growers+conference

And here is the full gallery: http://www.brokenbanjo.net/Client-Galleries/Organic-Seed-Alliance/OSGC14/

Thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    Is a subset of the result, video files? I think currently there is a bug with keywords not working with videos.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    ChancyRat, there aren't any video files in the batch, just photos.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    ChancyRat, there aren't any video files in the batch, just photos.

headscratch.gif
    Okay... there were a lot of problems with keywords, and SM has been very busy re-writing code for them. Issues to do with multi-word keywords, whether you used double quotes, commas, or semis to separate them, and at one point if a multiword keyword was last in the group.

If you go into the captions/keywords area to review your keywords, are they all there the way you meant them to be?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    It looks like they are as I meant them to be yes; the only difference is that I had them comma-separated, and they were converted by smugmug to semicolons.

Again, I don't think anything is different in my process than usual, so it's very frustrating. Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    That gallery is in a style that you can't see the keywords on photos.

Checked your /keyword page and see some keywords with a '
    db's pong and pool

KW's with a ' will not be found with a ' in them. Search words though finds them.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=239449
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    Is there a semicolon after the last keyword of each image's keywords?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    Allen, do you mean by this, "That gallery is in a style that you can't see the keywords on photos", that those images would not come up in a keyword search either?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    Allen, all of my galleries are in that style and haven't had any issues. What style would you recommend? As for the apostrophe, thanks for the tip; none of the current photos have one in their keywords.

Here's an example: by searching something like "seed swap, OSA" (two keywords associated with this image), this should appear, amongst others: http://www.brokenbanjo.net/Client-Galleries/Organic-Seed-Alliance/OSGC14/i-cWqnGn6/A

As you can see, those keywords are in the metadata. The weird thing is, 42 photos DO show up in this gallery (try searching for "2014, OSA"), but the entire gallery was uploaded at once, the same way.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    Update: It looks like the variable was simply time...it took Smugmug a few hours to register all of my keywords. While they DID appear in my photo metadata immediately upon upload, they did not appear in my searches. Four hours later, when I returned to the gallery to work the issue out, all keywords appear to now be registering in my searches.

So, the take away seems to be, wait a little while!

Thanks, all.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2014
    There was just a new update from SM on keywords also you may want to review, fyi:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=244751
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2014
    You are correct, for keywords to be included in searches, they need to be fully indexed, which can take time. Thanks!
  • Options
    GeorgespyrosGeorgespyros Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    The thing is, that last time i tried, indexing keywords would take 5-10-20minutes.
    Now it needed over 10hours for keywords to be indexed, which to be honest is disastrus for me.

Has something changed recently?
    Is it one time thing? Will it be taking so long from now on?
    I need to know, so next time i take my measures. (i.e. not start advertising it before i am sure all is online etc)
  • Options
    yaypieyaypie Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    The thing is, that last time i tried, indexing keywords would take 5-10-20minutes.
    Now it needed over 10hours for keywords to be indexed, which to be honest is disastrus for me.

Has something changed recently?
    Is it one time thing? Will it be taking so long from now on?
    I need to know, so next time i take my measures. (i.e. not start advertising it before i am sure all is online etc)

Keyword indexing time varies. Usually it's pretty quick, but when the indexing queues get backed up it can take longer. It's sort of like traffic on a highway; if lots of people make lots of changes at once, there can be a bit of a traffic jam.

Recently we've been doing some work behind the scenes that has caused a lot of changes to get queued up, which may explain the delays you were seeing. This shouldn't happen often though, so I wouldn't worry too much.