Options

7D 3-round Burst

crmitchecrmitche Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited February 18, 2014 in Cameras
I just picked up a new-to-me EOS 7D a few weeks ago. I am digging it! Is there a way to limit bursts to a set amount, say three rounds? Third party firmware is OK by me.

Cheers
Craig
http://craigm.smugmug.com/

"When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do." Walt Disney

Comments

• Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2014
    Craig, you mean to say you haven't read the manual yet ? :)

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 10, 2014
    The base camera doesn't do it and I'm not aware that Magic Lantern does it either. You could use AEB with 1/3 stop bracketing, and then correct the two +- exposures by 1/3 of a stop in the raw converter. It does beg the question though -- what's your application for this?
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, RTFM is kinda useless for stuff like this. I thought about the bracketing, and maybe how to "fool" it into 0-stop increments. I'm shooting running, triathlon and cycling events and using small jpeg's. My last event I had over 10K images. That would be a lot of PP.

Cheers
    Craig

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 10, 2014
    You could automate that with a batch image editor like ImageMagick to perform: Exposure += -(EC)
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited February 10, 2014
    I'm betting that you could use a remote shutter release (wired or wireless) and a custom circuit to provide a fixed number of pulses to trigger the camera. You would have to either create the custom circuit yourself or have someone create it for you, but I don't think it should be too much of a project. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2014
    Okay, I'm now officailly lost :)

Are we talking about capture or editing ?

Cheers, Don
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2014
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I'm betting that you could use a remote shutter release (wired or wireless) and a custom circuit to provide a fixed number of pulses to trigger the camera. You would have to either create the custom circuit yourself or have someone create it for you, but I don't think it should be too much of a project. thumb.gif

If making one of these, I'd suggest that it's got a frequency (interval) control for 'tweaking / fine tuning' purposes ...

pp
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2014
    Check out CamRanger.. Might have that functionality.. Not sure..
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2014
    crmitche wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Yeah, RTFM is kinda useless for stuff like this. I thought about the bracketing, and maybe how to "fool" it into 0-stop increments. I'm shooting running, triathlon and cycling events and using small jpeg's. My last event I had over 10K images. That would be a lot of PP.

Cheers
    Craig

you took 10,000 pics at just one event?
    wowzaa
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2014
    Take your finger off the shutter button after 3 shots.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2014
    Take your finger off the shutter button after 3 shots.

:D

I shoot the Spartan Race. Its not uncommon to shoot over 20,000 shots in a 2 day event. My 7D has atleast 200K on it. I keep waiting for it to quit on me, but it keeps on going. I have a back up rig ready to go when it does.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2014
    Kikoprice wrote: »
    I shoot the Spartan Race. Its not uncommon to shoot over 20,000 shots in a 2 day event.

Why? Does anyone actually buy them? Enough to make it worth it? Or do they just admire them online and move on? Or is this just for fun?
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited February 14, 2014
    It's big business. If you're shooting a big event like a Spartan or Rock N Roll event, you're typically contract at a nice hourly or day rate and depending on the agency you may be using their gear or renting your gear to them. No PP, no marketing and no direct customer contact. I netted a little under $6K last year working a couple weekends a month. I shoot smaller events myself and generally end up netting $250-500 with about a 6 hour total investment.

• Options
    KikopriceKikoprice Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    No need to buy pics anymore, they are FREE! Yes Im paid and yes its a lot of fun. There are some incredible athletes running these races with all sorts of stories to tell. Im allowed to show someone a little extra love {a few more clicks} if the action warrants it.
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2014
    crmitche wrote: »
    It's big business. If you're shooting a big event like a Spartan or Rock N Roll event, you're typically contract at a nice hourly or day rate and depending on the agency you may be using their gear or renting your gear to them. No PP, no marketing and no direct customer contact. I netted a little under $6K last year working a couple weekends a month. I shoot smaller events myself and generally end up netting $250-500 with about a 6 hour total investment.
    Kikoprice wrote: »
    No need to buy pics anymore, they are FREE! Yes Im paid and yes its a lot of fun. There are some incredible athletes running these races with all sorts of stories to tell. Im allowed to show someone a little extra love {a few more clicks} if the action warrants it.

Excellent. Sounds like you both have a good business model - paid up front or under contract - NOT just shoot, upload, email, pray for sales!

And Kiko, your photos are not free, they have value! The event organizer passes the cost on to the participants in the registration fee.
    -Jack