Water balloon explosion!

zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited December 22, 2005 in Holy Macro
First time trying this out. It's pretty fun.

49024682-L.jpg

Anyone else ever do this type of shot before?

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    What type of trigger did you use?
    zed wrote:

What type of trigger did you use?

I'm fascianted with this type of stop-action photography. Awhile ago there was a thread in dpr about how to use a sound trigger to capture balloons popping. They were doing air-filled balloons. I was curious and wanted to build such a trigger some day. A quick Google search shows these links to similar cool images and techniques of a similar type:

http://www.trevorshp.com/photos.htm
    http://courses.ncssm.edu/hsi/ie302/photos/2005-6/C2/a/Thumbs.htm
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • zedzed Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I have seen some of the same links you put up. But, I also found what I think is a teacher at the school in your second link. He has a website where he sells different types of triggers. Very cheap for a sound trigger with delay is like $18. He shows you how to do everything...really, really good info if you like this kind of stuff. http://www.hiviz.com/index.html
    I have not ordered anything yet. But, here is what I did (very easy and no special components).

Camera on tripod at one end of the bathtub.
    Black construction paper taped to the wall at the other end.
    Coat hanger, hanging from the shower head to hold the balloon.
    Puncturing device in my left hand and the shutter release cable in the other.
    Then it's all about timing...POP, shutter, repeat with the next balloon.
    It will work with the flash mounted on the camera although I have a flash extension cable. So, my flash was on the outside of the tub on another tripod to the left of the balloon. The timing was really pretty easy since I was using both hands. And, since the balloon is hanging, it will hold it's shape for a little bit while it is falling. If you don't have a flash cable, leave the flash on the camera. Pointing the flash up to bounce off the ceiling will give you a nice lighting effect on the water. Overall, it will be a bit dark but you can lighten it up in PS.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    zed wrote:

49024682-L.jpg

all i can saw is WOOOOOOOOOOW.thumb.gifclap.gif Nice job.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Excellent
    zed wrote:

Ive seen a shot of a bullet going through an egg :D

This is an amazing shot you've shown us here, and thank you for explaining just how you did it clap.gif excellent work Zed clap.gif Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    well done
    an entertaining shot which has been well executed-thanks for the explanation
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    zed wrote:

49024682-L.jpg

Absolutely love it! I have always loved capturing water in motion! thumb.gif