Options

Starting Over?

ChuxterChuxter Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited February 10, 2014 in SmugMug Support
On day-3 of my 2-week trial, I was so confused and could not get anything to work the way I wanted, I decided to start over. I created a new folder titled, “New Pages” and a folder inside it called, “Photo Galleries”. I moved my two existing galleries to that folder. I created two pages inside the “New Pages” folder; “Seminars” and “Socials”. Then I selected “New Pages” and wanted to “customize” it [although I suspect that "customize" is more advanced in SM lingo than what I'm trying to do].

I’m watching your “How to Create and Build a Page” video as I’m doing all this…trying to step through it as I create and customize this new page. At 2:56 the video voice says, “…locate and click on the page in your organizer.” The visual on the screen shows the “Site Pages” selected [highlighted] and the operator clicks on the first page to the right. This causes “Not feeling where this page currently lives? Drop it into any folder you’d like. To customize this page, visit it on your site.” to appear. The operator does that [click on the “visit it on your site” link]. I have no idea what "feeling" means in this context, but it's probably a SM idiosyncrasy?

When I tried to emulate that, it didn't work: I don’t want to customize one of the pages INSIDE the highlighted page, but rather the highlighted page itself. Hmmm…

I go up one step in the hierarchy and highlight the site and then click on the "New Pages" folder. I cannot proceed [I assume because you don’t allow changes to folders?]. What happened makes sense [in retrospect] but I still can't get SM to do what I want!

When I launch my SM site it has a white background [default, I think]. The logo is a teal color in all lower-case letters. The Photo Galleries folder shows at the top with the two galleries below. It’s ugly and not what I want! If I click on the Logo or Home, everything changes to something I created days ago. The background is dark grey, the logo is orange of a different face [but still all lower case!], and all the photos in one of the galleries are there as quite large thumbnails. I can’t seem to control anything! I can’t control the size of the thumbnails. I can’t control the dimensions [rows vs columns] of Galleries. Most significant, I can’t control what comes up when I first launch my SM site. And I can't seem to start over so that these strange [to me] things will go away.

I wanted to start over, but I didn’t! I cannot seem to make SmugMug behave. Do I have to delete EVERYTHING and start over from ZERO? Sheesh, that will be a lot of work. I have read other members on dgrin who wanted to start over and failed. I believe that they had to contact Customer Support to get them to delete everything as it apparently can't be done from this end?.

I have communicated with SM Customer Support extensively. My thread is about 15 posts long at this juncture. We seem to only do a couple of posts per day, so this has dragged on. I never get the same Hero twice [well, I did get the same one once, but in general it's a new "face" every iteration]. These Heroes have been pretty good and write reasonable English sentences. But they occasionally fail to read all the posts carefully and make mistakes. I understand how hard that must be, but it causes me to have to spend hours writing and documenting replies, correcting their errors instead of proceeding forward to a solution. The last reply says I'm being sent to the Specialized Customization Heroes, but I suspect my problems are more basic. I don't need help w/ CSS scripts yet.

:dunno