Options

Image Captions?

ChuxterChuxter Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited February 12, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I have a block of 3 photos on my home page. Each directs to separate galleries when clicked. Although the images are descriptive of the type of galleries they link to, I would like to be clear and put a "caption" or something associated w/ each photo that describes the underlying galleries.

Here is my site:

http://mavpcapix.smugmug.com/

I have succeeded in creating a Title for this block, but so far have failed to find a way to put individual captions on the photos. I read this w/ no success:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93290

Can anyone help me?

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    If it was me I'd use an html block which can be configured anyway you want.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    You can also try using the Logo content block (under Content > Design). A logo content block can contain a photo and text. You can choose the font for the text, and also set a Click to URL. You can set the logo image to appear above the text when you configure that. That may be the easiest way to do what you want without having to use custom coding.

Alternately, you could simply add a text content block beneath each of your photos, or use 3 single photo content blocks / 3 text blocks.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2014
    Josh, would a Logo content block be able to link to a folder that contains galleries?

Meanwhile, I'll play with changing those to individual photos and add text blocks to each.

Thanks!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    I don't think you will get the flow of the images/text together expanding and narrowing the browser with separate boxes. Logos would though.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2014
    Chuxter wrote: »
    Josh, would a Logo content block be able to link to a folder that contains galleries?

Yes, you'd just need to set the Click URL for the logo content block to the folder's URL.
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2014
    I've had little luck w/ individual photo blocks, but not for the reason Al mentioned. I could not seem to get the blocks positioned where I wanted! :-(

I'll have a go at the Logo block...
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2014
    When I created a Logo Block on the Home Page, I copied the URL from the one that shows up in the Organize view. In my case it was:

http://mavpcapix.smugmug.com/organize/GalleryCollection

When I Save and Publish, then click on the logo image, it takes me to a strange view. I think it's going into the Organize view, but it looks different.

Looking at the URL [above], I wondered if that is the URL you intended me to use. If it's not, where do I get the right one?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2014
    On a whim, I removed "organize/" from that URL and now it works. :D

After 6 marathon days, I'm still making "dumb" errors. ne_nau.gif

The next thing that I don't like [and want to change] is the Text associated w/ the Logo Block is stuck against the image. It looks terrible. I have tried:
    • Adding spaces in front [but those are stripped]
    • Adding a Tab [but it was stripped too]

BTW, I didn't expect those to work...just being thorough.

My logo has some transparent space around it [it's a GIF file], but that transparent border looks BLACK, instead of letting the dark grey of the rest of the empty space in this Theme come through. If I could get the border to be transparent, it would not look so bad...plus, I could just add some extra transparent space on the right side, which would move the Text over. But NO! Here take a look...

http://screencast.com/t/VCJAcYyalh1N

Do you guys have any suggestions? [that's a silly question]