OOYCZ #3 - Story

KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
edited February 18, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
Been away for a long time, thought I'd drop back in and try to reconnect. No idea what OOYCZ stands for, but when I was participating in the challenges regularly a few years ago, it was a wonderful learning experience for me.

Anyway, here's what I've been working on...

20140213_739_001-XL.jpg
Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 14, 2014
    Welcome back Kinkajou!

You can find what OOYCZ means by reading the first sentence in the OOYCZ Guide. (Which is mandatory to read for these challenges!)

I like where you are going with this image! The black and white with grainy texture is perfect unity for the mood that is dripping from the subject. Kudos!
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2014
    Hey, Kinkajou! It's great to "see" you again. :D

The steam from the teapot is a great touch. What has got her so tied up that she is ignoring that whistle? I think a tighter crop might work better. The bottom of the island doesn't really add anything. And maybe take away about half of the refrigerator. See how you like it.
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2014
    Glad to see someone else working on this. I do like the kettle steaming in the background. Because of the pose, I almost expected to see some alcohol, but I guess she wouldn't be drinking and also boiling water for tea. Love the dishes in the sink. I would like a little less backlighting as it makes it hard for me to see the details.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    This is wonderful. When I read JAG's comment, I thought it said something dripping from the faucet, so I looked around in the photo, and found the water running. That detail, along with the kettle's steam, helps tell this story. Can you lighten this photo up? I think it's supposed to be dark to match her mood, but just a bit so I can see the details?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited February 18, 2014
    I agree that this is great at telling a story! The "set" is perfect. I appreciate the way the dim lighting emphasizes the mood of the photo but would like to see it brightened just a bit - overall or selectively. Very nice!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    Thanks so much, guys! Great to be back and see some familiar faces... er... avatar names :)

I was definitely struggling to decide how dark to take the shadows, so I appreciate the feedback on that.

Jag - I read the challenge rules, especially since things have changed while I was away... but I guess I missed that sentence hahaha! I think I've figured out since then that it stands for 'out of your comfort zone' :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!