Options

Which Backpack Is This?

dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
edited February 23, 2014 in Accessories
While drooling through the pictures over on the McLaren Automotive FB page, I came across this post:

i-XdG2z3N-L.png

Ok, a car under glass with a bunch of press, got it... but wait?

What is this bag that the majority are using? (of the bags I can see).

i-b5XMRsN-L.png
Duke

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2014
    At a guess.... this one (or one of its Lowepro siblings). I recognized the orange tabs from when I was shopping for my roller bag last autumn :D

ProRunx350_stuffed.jpg
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    Just wondered how many normal people (ie those who shell out their own money to buy gear) store gear without caps on lenses?
    ... or are they the same bods who advertise cam bodies on fleabay with gaping holes where body caps should be?

pp
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2014
    Just wondered how many normal people (ie those who shell out their own money to buy gear) store gear without caps on lenses?
    ... or are they the same bods who advertise cam bodies on fleabay with gaping holes where body caps should be?

pp

I wonder if it has anything to do with branding? Lnes caps usually have a logo on them. As far as ebay, thats just plain ignorance or they dont have the body cap.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2014

pp

I do
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2014
    LowePro and ThinkTank dominate the market. At least as far as I can tell.

As for storing lenses without caps, I put very particular filters on the front of my lenses so I don't "have" to use lens caps. I still do use them when I am putting my gear away for the day, but if I need quick access to gear, I'll run without them. As to body caps, I always have them on. ALWAYS.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2014
    If you're looking for a backpack that stores a lot of gear and is built well without breaking the bank, check out the Kata Bumblebee PL-220. It's the one I ended up after a lot of research. I've had it for about a year now and have gone on a couple major trips with it and it's awesome.

bumblebeeb.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2014
    I wonder if it has anything to do with branding? Lnes caps usually have a logo on them. ...

Probably ... but there are enough 3rd party, non-branded caps that could be used ...(or cover / remove branding)
    Just strikes me as daft - a Co making bags to keep expensive cam gear all safe 'n snug ... and then depicting it all stashed in this manner.

As for storing lenses without caps, I put very particular filters on the front of my lenses so I don't "have" to use lens caps. ...

Conceptually the same in my book - you're protecting the 'really' expensive glass with stuff that's less so / more expendable ... for the sake of convenience (I'd assume?) ...basically a transparent lens cap :)

pp
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    Probably ... but there are enough 3rd party, non-branded caps that could be used ...(or cover / remove branding)
    Just strikes me as daft - a Co making bags to keep expensive cam gear all safe 'n snug ... and then depicting it all stashed in this manner.

Conceptually the same in my book - you're protecting the 'really' expensive glass with stuff that's less so / more expendable ... for the sake of convenience (I'd assume?) ...basically a transparent lens cap :)

pp

Simply put, glass looks sexier than a lens cap. They're in the business of selling camera bags. Fast food companies spend 4 hrs making the perfect burger for their promo photos, so I don't blame a camera bag company for doing this.

Regarding real-world use; yeah when you shoot in highly active situations there is no time for caps. That is why I have dedicated padded pouches / compartments for my lenses so I can drop them in without front or rear caps. As a wedding photographer, it's just kind of a way of life. You can use high-end UV filters, but I find that even the best ones still give weird artifacts when shooting certain lighting conditions, especially on fast primes with spectral highlights. Ghosts galore, even with a really pricey B+W multi-coated filter!

That, plus I frequently have to use ND and polarizing filters so it's just dumb to have to un-screw a protective UV filter every single time.

I personally opt for using lens hoods much more religiously than either filters or caps. All my Nikon, Tokina and Sigma lenses came with great hoods. ;-) (Sorry Canon users...)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum