Options

Opinions please - 70D or USed 1D series??

BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
edited February 24, 2014 in Cameras
I know there are 1,000 threads of this type but I have a very specific choice about which I'd like the informed opinions of you people.

On a lark I bought 1 1D Mk 2 (well used) last November. I seriously enjoyed it BUT, being well used, it died about a month ago so basically I got a 3 month rental for $400.00 LOL.

Anyway, I bought a used 1D Mk 2 N from Adorama but, unfortunately it has to go back since the AF isn't functioning properly. No problem there, Adorama sent me an RMA form and return label within 6 minutes of my speaking with Customer Service.

I really did fall in love with the 1D series but I'm also considering a 70D (likely through Canon Loyalty). Obviously the used 1D series will be 50-60% of the price of a 70D and I don't care a whit about video, which I can do with my T3i if really necessary. However, I'm curious about the real life performance of the 70D and the technological differences with the older 1D Mk 2.

Opinions anyone? Anyone familiar with real life on both cameras??

It's my decision and I won't blame anyone else if I screw up. I would just appreciate the consult.
Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited February 17, 2014
    I still have, and use, 2 - Canon 1D Mark II bodies, and a Canon 40D. I've been looking at the 70D and I do like the rendering of the 70D RAW files on a modern Adobe ACR (Photoshop or Lightroom). Compared to the older 1D series bodies, the high-ISO noise signature and dynamic range are very nice and much better than the older 1D series bodies and ACR.

However, the older 1D series RAW files do much better processed in Phase One Capture One software. Not equivalent to the 70D and ACR, but still very nice and perfectly capable of professional results.

Shutter lag and viewfinder blackout are longer for the 70D than for the 1D Mark II/IIN bodies, but still quite good. Expect a little less responsiveness with a 70D. (A perceptible difference but not a dramatic difference.)

Autofocus performance of the 70D is looking like it''s very similar to the 7D (according to user reviews and professional reviews alike), so it's very, very nice in good light and slowing in indoors and low light. You already know what the 1D Mark II is like, with stellar performance in good light and still-very-good performance in lower light and indoors (although AF accuracy does drop a bit with lower light).

Metering on the 70D is predictably excellent, using Canon's best metering system. The 1D Mark II/IIN metering is no slouch, but I suspect that the 70D is improved.

Durability rating for the 70D is 100,000 actuations, vs 200,000 actuations for a 1D Mark II/II N and 300,000 actuations for a 1D Mark III/IV.

Of course, it's hard to know the actuations of many (most) bodies before purchase, and it's a gamble whether you might be on the winning side or the losing side of value.

Ultimately, I recommend purchasing what you "need", when you need it. Ultimately either of these bodies is very capable for most types of photography. Since you can rent a 70D for a few days for $50-$60-ish dollars, why not rent one to decide for yourself if it works for your needs?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 17, 2014
    Others may disagree, but I've found the DXOMarks sensor ratings to be pretty accurate to real world performance. Comparing the DXOMark sensor ratings shows something very interesting; the sensor performance is almost identical between the two cameras. The 70D pulls a rating of 68 compared to the 1DMKII's rating of 66. That's despite the fact that the 70D contains 20MP while the 1DMKII is only an 8 MP camera. Both of those are pretty mediocre ratings compared to many modern DSLRs.

On the other hand, the Canon 6D sensor rating is 82 which is a massive difference. Most of that difference is in the high ISO performance. According to DXOMarks for example, ISO 900 on either camera you mentioned is equal to ISO 2300 on the 6D. If you're shooting in low light, this may be a big deal to you. However for studio work with strobes, or for bright outdoors work, you probably won't see any difference.

If you're limiting your choices to just the 70D and 1DMKII, then it really depends on what you intend to shoot and which features of each camera may appeal more to you. Ziggy just covered that nicely in his post above.

Here's a link to the DXOMarks page comparing the sensors of all three cameras. http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-70D-versus-Canon-EOS-6D-versus-Canon-EOS-1D-Mark-II___895_836_431
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2014
    I have yet to hear of somebody with a 70d who isn't over the moon with it (anecdotal over course, among my own acquaintances, but FWIW). The shots I've seen from it are STUNNING. I can't imagine going as much bakcwards in useability features as the older 1d's offer; I even find the 5dII somewhat lacking in that department and still miss the customisation and technical advances of my 7d (although I love the FF sensor). I'd definitely go for the newer model, as I'm not sure what you'd gain from the 1 - it may have been flagship once upon a time.... but not any more.

IMO, the only thing which might serve you and your needs better at that price point would be a used full frame camera.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2014
    Thanks everyone.

Since I recently lost my winter quarters I have time and now you've given me more to consider.
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2014
    Last quarter of '13 I decided to 'do something' about winter 'problems' associated with my 1Dm3 (stops wkg in the cold ... long story) ... and end up having to use a 40D in such situations.

Could've bought anything (within reason / budget) including a 7D or 70D and whilst am aware of the crop factor + Mp issues and newer tech blah blah etc ... ended up getting another used 1Dm3.

Mad Brit, eh :)

pp
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    I bought a very mint condition 1DIII a year or so ago from Adorama. Moved up from a 20D so huge difference, but I have used some more modern models here and there.

My reasons were faster autofocus for action/sports/marching band/events/etc. Also larger sensor, although not full frame. The quick to focus time, fps and definite image improvement over 20D (same vintage as your 1DII) were huge and enjoyable. No video which is fine for me. Only downside I see vs more modern cameras is the high ISO use. That is where new sensors have really gained so if you shoot in the dark and really want usable 3200 or 6400 iso shots the older sensors won't deliver (except for journalistic/sports type).

Right now I am looking to complement the 1DIII with a 6D for my portrait work. Might go for a used 5DII, but the features of the 6D for just a few hundred more are hard to resist. Good luck. Lots of good cameras out there just 'one generation' back. Remember, a few years ago we were all blown away by a 1DIII and then a 5DII and lots of people did great commercial work with them.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    Did you consider getting your 1D mk2 N fixed? Depending on what's wrong, simply "dying" usually costs no more than a few hundred bucks to get it capable of surviving another 2-4K clicks!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Bilsen wrote: »
    I know there are 1,000 threads of this type but I have a very specific choice about which I'd like the informed opinions of you people.

On a lark I bought 1 1D Mk 2 (well used) last November. I seriously enjoyed it BUT, being well used, it died about a month ago so basically I got a 3 month rental for $400.00 Laughing.gif.

Anyway, I bought a used 1D Mk 2 N from Adorama but, unfortunately it has to go back since the AF isn't functioning properly. No problem there, Adorama sent me an RMA form and return label within 6 minutes of my speaking with Customer Service.

I really did fall in love with the 1D series but I'm also considering a 70D (likely through Canon Loyalty). Obviously the used 1D series will be 50-60% of the price of a 70D and I don't care a whit about video, which I can do with my T3i if really necessary. However, I'm curious about the real life performance of the 70D and the technological differences with the older 1D Mk 2.

Opinions anyone? Anyone familiar with real life on both cameras??

It's my decision and I won't blame anyone else if I screw up. I would just appreciate the consult.

you shoot a lot of portraits, have you considered the 6D?
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2014
    I can consider it all I want but it's way out of budget Brett. This is still a non-revenue hobby for me.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Bilsen wrote: »
    I can consider it all I want but it's way out of budget Brett. This is still a non-revenue hobby for me.

at one point a refurbished 6D was selling less than $1,400, higher than 70D and used 1D series but a full frame model (with limited features) seems a better choice for portraits.