Lenses for travel photography

iswoolleyiswoolley Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 27, 2004 in Cameras
I'm making the transition from film to digital, and simultaneously manual to auto focus. My Canon T90 & A1 kit, with 20mm and 85mm lenses is up for sale, and a EOS 300D has taken it's place. I shoot mainly for fun, and when I'm travelling around by motorbike.

What I want is recomendations on a maximum of 2 lenses that would cover the majority of the 20mm to 300mm range.

Obviously they've got to have the EF mount, and I'm looking in the future to go for a full frame sensor so I want to avoid EF-S lenses. I would buy L glass if I thought I could carry it on my bike, but I suspect lenses like the 70-200 f2.8L are just too bulky for the bike. So, opinions gratefully received.

Iain

Canon EOS 300D: Monument to the Latvian Riflemen in Riga, Latvia.

Comments

• tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2004
    iswoolley wrote:
    I'm making the transition from film to digital, and simultaneously manual to auto focus. My Canon T90 & A1 kit, with 20mm and 85mm lenses is up for sale, and a EOS 300D has taken it's place. I shoot mainly for fun, and when I'm travelling around by motorbike.

What I want is recomendations on a maximum of 2 lenses that would cover the majority of the 20mm to 300mm range.

Obviously they've got to have the EF mount, and I'm looking in the future to go for a full frame sensor so I want to avoid EF-S lenses. I would buy L glass if I thought I could carry it on my bike, but I suspect lenses like the 70-200 f2.8L are just too bulky for the bike. So, opinions gratefully received.

Iain

Canon EOS 300D: Monument to the Latvian Riflemen in Riga, Latvia.
    I've found the 28-135 IS USM lens (converts to 45-216mm 35m equivalent) to be a great all around lens. That coupled with the 75-300 (120-480mm) would give you almost the coverage you want. They are both fairly light. The quality isn't "L" quality, but the 28-135 produces great photos. I am a little less enthusiastic about the 75-300, but it does a decent job. Both are fairly affordable. There are, of course, many other options, but they are going to be quite a bit more expensive. There is a 75-300 DO lens that is very nice, but more $$. To get down to 20mm you are looking at more $ as well. The 1.6 conversion factor actually increases your effective focal length as you may know. You would need an 12mm lens to get a 20mm effective focal length. Hope this helps.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com