Options

Adorama and Westcott

PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited March 8, 2014 in Accessories
Ordered a 7' Westcott umbrella from Adorama and tried it out a couple weeks ago. Very cool, although a slight breeze will carry it away.

The diffusion 'sock' (pretty big to call a sock) had a slight tear when I opened it up. I followed Adorama instructions and returned it. A few days later I figured I would send an email asking for status assuming they should have received it at least. To my surprise it had been received, replaced, and on its way back to me. Arrived the very next day.

Great service handling the return (always the fear of 'mail order' buying), and very happy with the product.

Now to get the 70-200/2.8 (from Adorama of course) for some killer portraits with the 7' umbrella!

Comments

• Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2014
    Ordered a 7' Westcott umbrella from Adorama and tried it out a couple weeks ago. Very cool, although a slight breeze will carry it away.

The diffusion 'sock' (pretty big to call a sock) had a slight tear when I opened it up. I followed Adorama instructions and returned it. A few days later I figured I would send an email asking for status assuming they should have received it at least. To my surprise it had been received, replaced, and on its way back to me. Arrived the very next day.

Great service handling the return (always the fear of 'mail order' buying), and very happy with the product.

Now to get the 70-200/2.8 (from Adorama of course) for some killer portraits with the 7' umbrella!

I was delighted to read that this was handled so speedilly and wanted to thank you for posting your feedback.

Just as a by-the-way, in addition to using our regular customer service channel, DG members are always most welcome to email me directly in the case of any query, concern or complaint! Helen@adorama.com
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited February 20, 2014
    WTG Helen and Adorama. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    lightcatcher2014lightcatcher2014 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited March 5, 2014
    Alien Bees have PLM system which is a giant parabolic umbrella. They also have a diffusing front panel. I use it with AB800 in the studio.

i will not take 7' umbrella outside unless have the money to buy a replacement one and good liability insurance to pay for the damage it would cause when falling on somebody's head. Careful not to insure anyone...

Cheers.
    --
    Trifon Anguelov
    Portrait and Wedding Photographer, Mountain View, CA

http://www.weddingphotographyblogger.com
  • Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    I swear I am not paid by Adorama.....

After typical good service with giant umbrella I decided to take the plunge and order the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC. $100 rebate in March and I have a couple HS Seniors to shoot so I go for it last Saturday. On a whim I decided to drive over to Vegas for the day on Tuesday for WPPI show (great show, going for the classed next year). Stopped by Adorama booth and first thing I see is a sign for Tamron lens, $200 off if you buy at show. Hmmm, I guess I could buy another one and return the first when it gets delivered? Told the nice lady at booth (Meirav) my saga and she gave me her card and said go talk with Tamron and gave me a name to ask for. Got to Tamron, told him the story and that I purchased from Adorama....no problem. Gave me the rebate form and said enjoy the lens. Additional $200 rebate for a total of $300 off an awesome lens. wings.gif

Lens is great, using it today.

I agree with Lightcatcher, umbrella only goes outside if someone is assigned to hold it. I use my monolight with it indoors and the amount of light spread and diffusion is amazing. Can be too soft and shadowless if you're not careful. I did get the silver lined one so when used without diffusion cloth the light is a bit more specular and gives a nice look.

Cheers.