Options

1902 delahaye oa

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited February 28, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
The French company, Delahaye, got its start in 1895 building rear-engine cars. During the 30's and 40's, some of the most beautiful and sporting cars ever made came from their organization. They are highly prized in the collector car market.

This Delahaye is a 1902 OA. It was the first front-engine car they made. As is often the case with cars from this period, there are so many design and mechanical features to focus on that it's almost bewildering. Look at that radiator treatment at the very lower front....bump anything at all and you walk home. Check out the front and rear lighting systems, notice all the levers, the wooden " fenders ", it just goes on and on. Quite fascinating.

This car is powered by a single cylinder, 1330 cc engine putting out an astounding 8 HP. I'm surprised they could hold the thing on the road. The 3-speed belt-driven transmission drives both rear wheels via massive chains.

This particular car is one of only two survivors from that year's production of about 200 cars. With the exception of a front floor pan, this car is totally original....amazing. It has, of course, been beautifully restored. This car was rescued from underneath an apple-crate woodpile where the original owner's family had left it for over 50 years.

Amelia%20213%20424-X3.jpg

Amelia%202013%20426-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2014
    Fascinating indeed!

Those fenders are a true work of art thumb.gif

Thanks for another installment from "Tom's fascinating fascination with beautiful cars" clap.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2014
    That is beautiful! Love it!
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Fascinating indeed!

Those fenders are a true work of art thumb.gif

Thanks for another installment from "Tom's fascinating fascination with beautiful cars" clap.gif

Well, pard, I was tempted to say how much this thing mesmerized me but I was afraid you would put the posse on me. Actually, I'd love to have you along with me on some of these shows. But, knowing your penchant for fine things, it might not be a good idea to have both of us running around drooling over expensive iron.

Take care buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    That is beautiful! Love it!

Thanks for the visit. I shudder to think what this restoration process cost. The skill sets required, and the total man-hours involved, all add up to some really big numbers.

Keep your great work coming. I look forward to it.

Tom
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,882 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2014
    Beautiful car and shots my friend. I like history and I always appreciate the context you provide, thanks!
  • Options
    JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2014
    Love the blue on this car, just POPS! And the fenders....wow, simply amazing work
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
    http://www.photospaced.com
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2014
    Juano wrote: »
    Beautiful car and shots my friend. I like history and I always appreciate the context you provide, thanks!

Thanks for your support, Cristóbal. I'm with you...the cars mean a little more to me if I happen to know something about their history. Collector cars, in particular, seem to be ripe with stories.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2014
    JeffC230 wrote: »
    Love the blue on this car, just POPS! And the fenders....wow, simply amazing work

You got that right, Jeff. This car started speaking to me from way down the fairway. This event is staged on a golf course which I helped develop years ago. Along came a Ritz-Carlton and then the Amelia Island Concours....which is entering its 19th year. Who would have figured.

Tom
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2014
    Now you are making me want to move back to Florida! We have a car show/fund raiser coming up in May, but I doubt I will see anything as beautiful as the autos you get to see and photograph! Keep them coming Tom!!!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2014
    Gary752 wrote: »
    Now you are making me want to move back to Florida! We have a car show/fund raiser coming up in May, but I doubt I will see anything as beautiful as the autos you get to see and photograph! Keep them coming Tom!!!

GaryB

Hey, Gary, I sure appreciate you stopping by. The weather you guys have had this year is also reason enough to haul buggy back to Florida.

I am blessed to have the Amelia Island show right in my backyard. A great many exhibitors and knowledgeable car people now rank this show right there with the Pebble Beach show. They both have earned their way to the top....kudos to Bill Warner and his folks for reaching such a prestigious plateau.

I'm thrilled to be able to share what I see with all you car guys and gals.

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    This is one neat car. Getting into the backseat would be a challenge headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2014
    Dogdots wrote: »
    This is one neat car. Getting into the backseat would be a challenge headscratch.gif

Hi Mary,

You've got a sharp eye....I'm surprised that no one else picked up on that " challenge ".

Actually, you enter the back seat from the rear of the car. Look low at the rear near the brass fixture. You'll see a black metal foot step extending outward. On the body section right above the foot step, you'll see a chrome handle....twist that handle and the center section of that body panel will fold downward, revealing some step structures. There's another chrome handle further up on the left, near the top of the seat. Lift that latch handle and the entire center section of the back seat swings to the right....allowing access to the rear seat. I'm assuming that the driver or front seat passenger would have to execute these procedures to get the rear seat passengers in or out.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    Beautiful car! I had the pleasure of shooting this 1938 Delahaye 135 MS Coupe by Figoni et Falaschi, their designs are truly amazing.

29-X2.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2014
    p27rpy wrote: »
    Beautiful car! I had the pleasure of shooting this 1938 Delahaye 135 MS Coupe by Figoni et Falaschi, their designs are truly amazing.

29-X2.jpg

This is truly beautiful! I don't even care about cars, but I do love photography and I think all these car shots will cause me to develop car fetish as well.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2014
    Hi theo,

That's a great shot of the 1938 Delahaye. The French cars of that period, including Delage and Bugatti as well, were the most beautiful ever produced.

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2014
    Hey Stumblebum,

The more folks shooting cars, the better. We all bring a different perspective to the scene. Get on board and show us what you come up with.

Tom
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2014
    Hey Stumblebum,

The more folks shooting cars, the better. We all bring a different perspective to the scene. Get on board and show us what you come up with.

Tom

I really didn't know these beauties existed. I mean this is piece of art like any other!

I live in SJ and visit Carmel/Monterey often. Laguna Seca race track is close to me. Never been there, but dream of getting few shots. There are lots of car shows in pebble beach and such....I may have to go now! Keep em coming!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 28, 2014
    "Delahaye". You have to love that name. The cars are as beautiful as the name-look at the two examples here.

Great photos.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    "Delahaye". You have to love that name. The cars are as beautiful as the name-look at the two examples here.

Great photos.

You know, Ian, these cars were as functional as they were beautiful. In the 30's, they were sought after by " gentlemen " racers for their performance and handling. Sadly, the advent of WWII disrupted all of the French automotive industry. Post WWII, though, saw Delahaye emerge once more as a manufacturer of cars with styling and panache unequalled by anyone. From about 1947 to 1951, Delahaye produced cars that were truly stunningly beautiful.

Tom