Splashy Collisions

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited February 25, 2014 in Holy Macro
Been a while since I posted a shot...

So having seen the outstanding and utterly inspirational images by a guy over on POTN, I ended up with a Splash Art kit for Christmas :).

Realising one hot shoe mounted flash was seriously not cutting it, I purchased a second flash and two wirefless 2.4Ghz transceivers. Some gels and a bit of opal perspex to diffuse the flashes from behind the subject area.

This afternoon saw my first real attempt at collisions and after a few minor tweaks here and there I began to see them happening in front of my eyes. These ones are simply water for now

Colours provided by various gels on my flashes.
IMG_8128.jpg

IMG_8124.jpg

IMG_8122.jpg

IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8120.jpg

IMG_8158.jpg

IMG_8151.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2014
    Success! Bravo!!!clap.gifclapclap.gif
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Cheers Stumble, Brian :)
  • JeffC230JeffC230 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    #3 looks like a mushroom! awesome job!
    Jeff K.
    Newbie in Action
    http://www.photospaced.com
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2014
    Very cool - literally and figuratively!

I hope that was water in the glass and not beer - lol.

If you have a photo of the setup, sure would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited February 24, 2014
    Thanks Jeff, Phil :D
    Hehe no beer, just water on this occasion.

I haven't taken a picture of the set up just yet however I can describe it easily.

I am using a Splash Art Mk II kit which is basically a tritation type kit, a small electronic box which I can control the droplet frequency, sizes etc.

This was dropping a couple of droplets into a wine glass from about 30cm above. Behind the wine glass is an A3 5mm thick sheet of opal perspex. Placed behind that was my Canon 430 EX II and a Yongnuo YN 560 Mk III flash. 2.4Ghz transceiver on the camera and one on the 430. The YN 560 has one built in.

Each flash had the little wide angle flash diffuser pulled down over the flash keeping a small flash gel in place. i experimented with different colours from a single colour to a two tone. in some cases, both flashes set to 1/16th power and on a couple of other shots, one at 1/16th, the other at 1/32nd. Basically, the sheet of opal perspex acts as a nice big diffuser whilst giving a lovely plain background.

I have purchased some Xanthan gum to ever so slightly thicken up the water. This I believe will give me taller towers and more controlled collisions.

I'll get a shot of the setup asap for you.
    edited February 25, 2014
    Hi Phil, a photo (cell phone) as requested. The flashes sit behind the perspex with the gels on.

i-JJ88hXG.jpg