Options

Generating Google Sitelinks

dannybirrell83dannybirrell83 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 25, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

I'm at a bit of a dead end. I'm slogging my guys out trying to maximise the SEO on my site but the Sitelinks Google are coming up with are crazy.

They seem to be getting the links from keywords I had embedded in photos using Lightroom. Obviously I don't want this.

Can anyone advise me of the best way to point google to relevant sitelinks such as my page headings?

Ps. I've even tried blocking the keyword URLs in google webmaster tools, that did the trick for a day, but they seem to be picking them up again.

Hope some of that makes sense :-)

Thanks for any help.

Danny.

www.dannybirrellphotography.co.uky6yqagyh.jpg

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited February 24, 2014
    Interesting... your post made me look at my search results and I'm seeing something that I need to change too.

I don't know why the individual keywords are showing up, but - when I did a site:www.denisegoldberg.com what I'm seeing as default text for folders is coming from Account settings... Discovery... Search... SEO Settings, Homepage meta description.

If a gallery has a description, that is showing.

I didn't set a description for my folders, I'm going to do that now. It's clearly important and needed.

It feels like best practice is to
    • use Account settings... Discovery... Search... SEO Settings, Homepage meta description as the base description
    • add a meta description for each folder
    • add a description for each gallery

Hopefully someone from SmugMug will jump in and comment about the entries generated for the keywords. I have no idea how Google orders the results - it appears that the keyword entries with the homepage meta description are pretty important in the overall scheme of things but the text used there doesn't make much sense (to me).

--- Denise
  • Options
    DanCarl97DanCarl97 Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Interesting... your post made me look at my search results and I'm seeing something that I need to change too.

I don't know why the individual keywords are showing up, but - when I did a site:www.denisegoldberg.com what I'm seeing as default text for folders is coming from Account settings... Discovery... Search... SEO Settings, Homepage meta description.

If a gallery has a description, that is showing.

I didn't set a description for my folders, I'm going to do that now. It's clearly important and needed.

It feels like best practice is to
    • use Account settings... Discovery... Search... SEO Settings, Homepage meta description as the base description
    • add a meta description for each folder
    • add a description for each gallery

Hopefully someone from SmugMug will jump in and comment about the entries generated for the keywords. I have no idea how Google orders the results - it appears that the keyword entries with the homepage meta description are pretty important in the overall scheme of things but the text used there doesn't make much sense (to me).

--- Denise

Unfortunately, folder descriptions are broken. They'll still have the Homepage Meta Description. The only way I've been able to avoid this is to put the description text at the top of the page and hope google picks that instead.
  • Options
    dannybirrell83dannybirrell83 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 25, 2014
    Thanks for the replies.

I think it might be something to do with the way I'm displaying my photos.

I don't use galleries. I just have a page titled 'latest work' and I insert collage style photographs and text on that page.

I don't particularly like the look of galleries or think that they suit my site but fear I might have to start using them to solve the SEO problem.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,244 moderator
    edited February 25, 2014
    DanCarl97 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, folder descriptions are broken. They'll still have the Homepage Meta Description. The only way I've been able to avoid this is to put the description text at the top of the page and hope google picks that instead.
    Thanks for that information.

If anyone else is trying (wanting!) to use folder descriptions please add your voice to the bug report Descriptions Not Working.

--- Denise