Options

How to create a subcategory?

tntctntc Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
I have an upload tool that uses the 1.2.2 API. It creates albums and uploads photos. For example, I've uploaded many albums in Category "unsorted", Subcategory "2013".

I used to create new Subcategories using the web interface. Now the web UI lets me create FOLDER "2014" in Category "unsorted". But .../1.2.2/?method=smugmug.subcategories.get
returns a list that does not include my new Folder/Subcategory.

I added a gallery and photo via the web interface, but the API still does not see this Folder as a Subcategory.

Is a folder at that level not a subcategory? How do I create a subcategory instead of a folder with the web interface, so the API usage will find it? I see that the 1.3.0 APIs are still "subcategory" not "folder".

Thanks,
-troy

Comments

• Options
    tntctntc Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    OK. Google turned up a link to the old management UI, http://www.smugmug.com/homepage/newsubcat.mg
    After I used it to create a Subcategory "2014" (the same as the existing Folder), my upload tool worked.

The gallery "fake" and photo I added earlier to try to force "2014" to exist are in the Folder when viewed via the New Smugmug Preview.
    When viewed via Legacy Smugmug, the "fake" gallery is under a top level Category "Smugmug Preview".

Should these be my take-aways?
    • Don't manage via the new web interface if you're still publishing the old web interface.
    • You can't create categories via the new WEB interface, which severely hampers the API.
    Thanks,
    -troy