Options

Client Share-On-Facebook Button

DBRDBR Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited February 27, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I understand how to add a social media icon to a gallery, so that visitors can click "Like" or "Share", and put a link on their Facebook pages. I do not see a way to allow them to easily post a link to one of my pictures, or to embed it in their timeline (with or without attribution). They can't really tag people in a link.

How can I make this work?

Thanks!

David

Comments

• Options
    LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2014
    Hi David,

In your Gallery Settings, under Social you have the option to show sharing options. If you turn that on, and say yes to external embedding in your security and privacy settings, your visitors will be able to post your images on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Give that a go, and the share icon and the links should be available to your visitors.

I hope that helps!
    Lindy
    Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2014
    Thank you Lindy! It looks like I have another problem. That works - so long as the gallery in question is not in a password-protected folder.

My client's privacy is their own. It is not appropriate for me to post my pictures of them on an unprotected venue, but I would like them to be able to share. The way I currently handle this is to password-protect a top-level folder, and organize pictures in a folder hierarchy of public galleries under that. My clients can log in once, and then look through all the images (from their group). However, apparently because of the protection on the parent folder, even with allow embedding, my users do not have Share to Facebook as one of the options in the share menu.

What am I doing wrong? Surely there is a way to allow embeddable pictures to shared on Facebook.

David
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited February 27, 2014
    DBR wrote: »
    ... password-protect a top-level folder, and organize pictures in a folder hierarchy of public galleries under that. My clients can log in once, and then look through all the images (from their group). However, apparently because of the protection on the parent folder, even with allow embedding, my users do not have Share to Facebook as one of the options in the share menu.
    You're not doing anything wrong. But - if you want to protect the photos with a password you eliminate the option to share on Facebook. If you want to allow your viewers to share photos they must not be in a password-protected gallery. A gallery that resides in a password-protected folder is also password-protected.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2014
    Thanks, Denise. That's disappointing. That's what I thought Allow External Embedding meant. If not, what does it mean? Where can I find documentation on all SM's sharing and protection options, so I can better understand their intent and how they actually work together?

Thanks,
    David

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,245 moderator
    edited February 27, 2014
    DBR wrote: »
    Thanks, Denise. That's disappointing. That's what I thought Allow External Embedding meant. If not, what does it mean? Where can I find documentation on all SM's sharing and protection options, so I can better understand their intent and how they actually work together?
    Allow external embedding is used in combination with the privacy settings.

See http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1229910.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2014
    That calls out the privacy settings, but not visibility like Allow Embedded. There is a linkthat looks like it addresses this, but it's broken.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk