Options

Display of thumbnails on left

synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
edited February 26, 2014 in SmugMug Support
In my legacy galleries using the smugmug style, those that I made stretchy would display a variable number of columns dependent on the screen width.

In the new smugmug, I only see three columns, leaving huge gaps on wide screens. I added the red boxes to the image.

Is this a "feature" of the preview mode, or will I get the same stretchy behavior I had before when I unveil?

This morning I happened to click on inspect element and suddenly the display changed to what I expected it to be -- though only in the Chrome debug mode.
Brandon Smith
http://redwoodtwig.com
Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    Welcome to the Smugmug new crappy "smugsmug style." It's those R/L page chevrons that they
    added that is causing the terrible page display with all the wasted space. The legacy site for this
    style was optimized to use all available space. They need a complete redesign of this style.

Portraits are especially bad with the gaps.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/Birds/Birding-2014-January/2014-01-Yardbirds/i-XHLSzVw
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    Brandon,
    It looks like you're comparing a portrait with a landscape oriented photo. To prevent the thumbnail layout and buttons to constantly rearrange when moving through photos of different orientation and aspect ratio, the thumbnails have to stay sized the same. Give it another try with a landscape photo. You'll notice that there's just a small gap between thumbnails and the actual photo to allow for the page navigation chevron to show.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2014
    There is still a huge gap around the thumbs with a landscape photo.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    And underneath on mine. A massive dead area.
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    Gap depends on screen width... if the "gap" is large enough for one more icon then there would be added another column of icons... if not you get some extra "dead" space...

I think is is caused by the new flexible layout which depends on the screen width.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2014
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    Gap depends on screen width... if the "gap" is large enough for one more icon then there would be added another column of icons... if not you get some extra "dead" space...

I think is is caused by the new flexible layout which depends on the screen width.
    Both your screen shots have huge gaps on both sides and in the middle. Legacy was optimized to not
    have these gaps and the thumbs and main photo was always bigger.

Visitors have no idea that there are any comments without scrolling.
  • Options
    phaserbeamphaserbeam Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Both your screen shots have huge gaps on both sides and in the middle. Legacy was optimized to not
    have these gaps and the thumbs and main photo was always bigger.

I have set wide side margins...thats why i have some gap there.
    The top screenshot does not show much gap between preview and thumbs, this is the place for the "Prev"-page button. I do not call that "gap" or "dead" space... i like the bigger page-buttons... The bottom screenshot has some gap there, but that depends on the screen width.
    If this is a result of the flexible design to get better results on different screen sizes then i prefer that against thumbnails that change size just to get rid of any extra space. And i do not see any other solution except change the site of the preview image.

What do you prefer if there is only space left for 3,5 thumbnail columns while you could only display three columns? Bigger Preview photo to fill the gap? Bigger thumbnails to fill the gap? Bigger side margins to remove the gap? None of these solutions is better then the gap.
    Allen wrote: »
    Visitors have no idea that there are any comments without scrolling.
    I hate comments, that's why they are all disabled.. no need for scrolling :D
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2014
    The big photo is sized depending on the space available in the browser window. The thumbs fill
    the remaining area. It's a proven fact that in some (most in my case) screen sizes that the large
    photo is smaller then it was on legacy. Also the thumbs are smaller.