Options

Sb-26 vs 800,900

alaiosalaios Registered Users Posts: 668 Major grins
edited March 8, 2014 in Accessories
Hi
I want some help with a second hand speedlight sb 26. If I understood it right this is an older version flash, but capability wise is very close to 800,900.
It has sync capability, it supports ttl, and it has a very good optical trigger.

What would you consider a good price range for that flash?

Regards

Alex

P.S Other more portable alternatives with same capabilities and not more costy than 100 euros second hand?

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2014
    What Nikon body are you planning on using with this flash?

If you are just going to use this manually as an off camera flash to be triggered optically or with CLS, you can use the SB-26. Be advised that you cannot alter the power of the SB-26 remotely with you commander like the more modern flashes.

If you are doing on camera flash work with a Nikon body newer than a D70, you will likely be disappointed with the ttl capability of an SB-26 and would be better served with an SB-800 or SB-900.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2014
    The best "affordable" old Nikon flash is the SB80DX. It's the last one before the SB800 came out, I think, and I really like it because it has a metal hotshoe unlike all the older ones.

Anyways, the awesome thing about the old Nikon flashes is that you CAN control them wirelessly, with the right trigger system. I personally use the Radiopopper JRX system and it works great at controlling the SB80DX wirelessly. I haven't tried the SB26 but it should work similarly.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2014
    Hi
    great idea the SB80DX. It looks also bit smaller and perhaps can be squeezed to some big coat pocket. Few more questions
    1. I did not understand if it supports TTL or not. I have a nex-7 camera that has TTL support
    2. I also understood that it can be also triggered optically. That means that one can even use it with crappy compact cameras. Right?
    3. What is the sync port?
    4. I have also a nikon p7700 compact camera and I have heard that it can use nikon flashes remotely. Would it work in that case?

Regards
    A.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited February 27, 2014
    alaios wrote: »
    Hi
    great idea the SB80DX. It looks also bit smaller and perhaps can be squeezed to some big coat pocket. Few more questions
    1. I did not understand if it supports TTL or not. I have a nex-7 camera that has TTL support
    2. I also understood that it can be also triggered optically. That means that one can even use it with crappy compact cameras. Right?
    4. I have also a nikon p7700 compact camera and I have heard that it can use nikon flashes remotely. Would it work in that case?

Regards
    A.

If you want TTL capabilities on a Sony/Minolta body then you "must" use a Sony TTL compatible flash. A Nikon TTL flash will only provide TTL on a compatible Nikon body. In other words, each camera manufacturer uses their own, different protocol for both flash pin connectors and for electronic signals, and you can't normally mix-and-match between manufacturers of cameras and flashes.

In your case, the Nikon flash "will not" provide TTL flash control with a Sony Nex-7 body. There may be some remote control of "some" Nikon flashes and your Nikon P7700 camera, but you will have to research somewhat to find probable limitations. (Yes, the Nikon P7700 has a "Commander" mode for remote flash control, but different Nikon flashes may provide varying levels of TTL compatibility.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    Hi

Regards
    A.

Yep, I routinely jam an SB80 into my back pocket when wearing dress pants at weddings, even with a small radio trigger velcro-ed to the side of the flash. I really love their compact size combined with generally robust construction. It takes a really long fall directly to concrete to destroy one. ;-)

You wont' want to use optical triggering except in an extreme emergency. It is just not reliable for professional work, you'll want to use some sort of radio trigger. I personally use the RadioPopper JRx system, which you can see me explain in greater detail here: http://www.slrlounge.com/radiopopper-jrx-wedding-photography-field-review

The PS Sync port is a connection port on the side of most professional flashes. To be honest, I really hate using it, but it was the port of choice for the original professional standard, Pocket Wizard. However nowadays most radio triggers connect to the hotshoe of a flash instead, which seems to be much better and more streamlined.

=Matt=

radiopopper-jrx-review-3.5mm-cables.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2014
    Hi thanks,
    few more comments and many thanks for both great answers.
    I am skipping TTL for now.. too much money and I still have a lot of "homework" to do with basic flash.

Optical trigger might be fun to use, I guess even a crappy compact camera can benefit from an external flash, and optical trigger would be needed in that case.

I understand that wireless triggers become more and more used these days even for professional work as they are easy and fun to use. That perhaps can save money if I loose the sync port.

Actually I am intresting in a flash that is not that bulky so I can hand held if needed and squeeze to some pocket has optical trigger, embedded bounce card (for getting some catch light on the eyes) full manual control, some zoom control and easy to put gels on it.
  • Options
    edited March 2, 2014
    Hi thanks,
    few more comments and many thanks for both great answers.
    I am skipping TTL for now.. too much money and I still have a lot of "homework" to do with basic flash.

Optical trigger might be fun to use, I guess even a crappy compact camera can benefit from an external flash, and optical trigger would be needed in that case.

I understand that wireless triggers become more and more used these days even for professional work as they are easy and fun to use. That perhaps can save money if I loose the sync port.

Actually I am intresting in a flash that is not that bulky so I can hand held if needed and squeeze to some pocket has optical trigger, embedded bounce card (for getting some catch light on the eyes) full manual control, some zoom control and easy to put gels on it.

Yes, that is exactly what an SB80DX is offering, with or without a small radio trigger. If you're going to use the flash within arms' reach of your camera and the camera has a pop-up flash, I'm sure that 90% of the time you could get away with a simple optical trigger. Just make sure that you can control your on-camera flash to be a significantly reduced power, otherwise it may overpower your subjects and negate the whole point of using flash off-camera in the first place. Most pop-up flashes have manual control or least TTL that can be dialed way down to -3 or somethign, though.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2014
    Hi thanks I will go by the sb80dx as I am on starting phase. I will try to use it at the beginning with my on camera flash and see how it works. I do not care that I will not be able to change the settings of the flash wireless. I am a flash student and is good to to do the hard work at the beginning.
    Few more things that come into mind.
    1. an inexpensive flash tripod
    2. batteries and recharger. Which ones and why
    3. good one, with a bit inexpensive flavor of wireless trigers that I can mount on my nex camera
    4. How one can use the flash with a compact camera . Is a bit tricky to find which aperture value to use. I guess that what aperture values my flash has on it would be for a full frame camera and not for aps-c or a compact with 1/1.7 or 1/2.3 sensors.
    5. At sb80dx can I rotate it 360 degrees?
    6. Does it have a diffuser and a bounce card?
    7. Where I can buy gels for this flash. What is the cost?
    Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited March 5, 2014
    Hi thanks I will go by the sb80dx as I am on starting phase. I will try to use it at the beginning with my on camera flash and see how it works. I do not care that I will not be able to change the settings of the flash wireless. I am a flash student and is good to to do the hard work at the beginning.
    Few more things that come into mind.
    1. an inexpensive flash tripod
    2. batteries and recharger. Which ones and why
    3. good one, with a bit inexpensive flavor of wireless trigers that I can mount on my nex camera
    4. How one can use the flash with a compact camera . Is a bit tricky to find which aperture value to use. I guess that what aperture values my flash has on it would be for a full frame camera and not for aps-c or a compact with 1/1.7 or 1/2.3 sensors.
    5. At sb80dx can I rotate it 360 degrees?
    6. Does it have a diffuser and a bounce card?
    7. Where I can buy gels for this flash. What is the cost?
    Regards
    Alex

I believe that the Nikon SB-80DX supports both (non-TTL) "auto" flash and manual flash control. That should give you some creative choices. Be aware that the SB-80DX will not attach directly to your NEX body without using an adapter of some sort. Simple adapters exist to use the (non-TTL) "auto" flash and manual flash capabilities.

Here is a PDF file of the user manual for that flash:
    http://www.nikonusa.com/pdf/manuals/Speedlights/SB-80DX.pdf

From that PDF you can see what is included with that flash and how the different features and functions work.

For a remote flash trigger, and on a tight budget, most any simple radio trigger system will do, but again the transmitter must be designed for use on your NEX body (or adapted to work on your NEX body), and then the receiver portion needs to work with the SB-80DX flash. I recommend just getting the Sony/Minolta to ISO flash adapter and an ISO-foot-based radio slave unit.

A popular simple radio trigger/slave set:
    Cactus V5 Radio Slave Set

Sony/Minolta flash adapter:
    JJC Hot Shoe Flash Adapter MSA-10 for Sony NEX 3 NEX5 MSA10

(Note that I have not used these products myself. Please check the Internet as well as the above web sites for user reviews of the products.)

Instead of a camera tripod, I suggest using a light stand and adding an umbrella bracket. For the stand itself, I recommend an air-cushioned stand, at least 10 feet tall. (Taller stands tend to have broader bottom leg spreads for better stability. Air-cushioned means that the stand won't collapse too quickly, potentially causing damage to anything mounted to it.)

Light stand:
    Savage 10' Aluminum Air-Cushioned Lightstand, Three Section, 5/8" Top Stud with 1/4"-20 Thread

Bracket:
    Adorama Universal Swivel Holder - Umbrella Bracket with Adjustable Flash Mount

I am hoping that others have suggestions regarding filter gels for that flash. (I tend to improvise.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2014
    I just wanted to say thanks for getting so good answers in this forum. I am too tired to read answers now carefully, my 10 old month daughter consumes all energy I have. But I will do tomorrow with a better brain.

Alex
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2014
    Hi
    thanks for the nice answers. few more questions as I start to understand the area.

1. IF the 80dx has an integrated wireless receiver I am wondering if there are some nex to nikon wireless adapters. The typical I see is that people tend to emulate the hot shoes making the flash believe that the flash is mounted on camera. That makes of course bottom of the flash more bulky and perhaps flash harder to be hand held.

2. what is the guide number of a flash?

3. My camera has fastest shutter speed of 1/160 when using on camera flash. How many stops ND filter should I buy to be able to work at noon where sun can be really strong?

4. As I do not have TTL support how the 80dx compares with the Yongnuo flashes (they have good reputation). Rught now what I do not like is that they look bulky for me compared to the 80dx that looks pocketable.

Regards
    Alex
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2014
    For a Gel kit for your flash I like the one that Scott Robert Lim sells at: http://scottrobertla.com/scott-robert-studio/srs-strobie-130/gel-kit/ There are hundreds of colors and are pre-cut. He even provides a simple way of attaching them, and they won't break the bank at $30.00

If you're just starting out and want to learn full manual flash I highly recommend his Creative Live course "Crazy Stupid Light" at $149.00 (sometimes on sale for $99.00) That is available here: http://www.creativelive.com/courses/crazy-stupid-light-scott-robert-lim

To view other items he sells, go to: http://scottrobertla.com/scott-robert-studio/

Disclaimer: I do not work for Scott Robert Lim, nor Creative Live. I just like the products Scott sells, and Creative Live offers the best online learning, with the best instructors in their field.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2014
    Hi thanks, theory wise I am fine. I am travelling everyday with train and I read books for photography... now I really luck the gear..

Regards
    Alex