Options

Hockey - Not For Sissies

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited March 3, 2014 in Sports
I thought these were an interesting series from tonight's regional playoff game.

Not too sure mom's going to be wild about them.:D

12826878515_3d425d77c7_o.jpg

12826943503_6eff3eb0bf_o.jpg

12827290154_faa060148d_o.jpg

12827294164_09b9c799f0_o.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited February 28, 2014
    I've seen worse lol3.gif

I like the progression. Good photos but the white balance isn't consistent. I think the first looks the best with regard to that.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2014
    ian408 wrote: »
    I've seen worse lol3.gif

I like the progression. Good photos but the white balance isn't consistent. I think the first looks the best with regard to that.

Thanks for the comment.

Consistent white balance is indeed a struggle for me with hockey. With these, I manually set WB in camera to match the florescent lighting and then tweaked it a bit with the "eyedropper" in Lightroom and applied the WB from the tweaked image to all via sync.

Number 3 (helmet) would have issues as the other three were taken above the glass and three was shot through the glass which has a tint.

Is there a better way to go about this without doing a custom WB on every individual image?
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    Would a tool like ExposDisc work if you used in once, or would you have to use it often depending on where the subject is on the ice?
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2014
    Would a tool like ExposDisc work if you used in once, or would you have to use it often depending on where the subject is on the ice?
    The ExposDisc is a nice tool, but there are ways to set WB in the same manner without using one. Maybe not as quickly.

I could be wrong, but I think the biggest problem is the color temperature change during the power cycle of florescent lighting along with the lighting not being completely consistent through-out the playing surface.

This is a image I tweaked individually. See if this is closer to correct. Thanks.

12826880095_4360e0133c_o.jpg
  • Options
    john ljohn l Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    Great stuff Bryce. It's a challenge to shoot hockey. The lighting is always inconsistent and in many arenas you have dark areas as well as bright. The lights cycle and if you are shooting throughout the glass it for the most part is always tinted. j
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    I used ExpoDisc for this shot and a series of hockey photos. I was not using a FAST lens, so I had to use ISO 6400 to get reasonable shutter speed. And shooting from above through a screen.

But I think the white balance turned out well. Post processing to increase vibrance, saturation and clarity only.

Not a great sports shot, but for discussion purposes.

20140111%20Chandler%20Hockey-7564-2-L.jpg
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    jheftijhefti Registered Users Posts: 734 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2014
    If you're getting significant differences in WB from shot to shot, then you most likely have a light cycling problem. Unfortunately the only work-around for this is to use strobes or to tweak each individual shot. And even with tweaking, there are limits to how well you can correct the WB.

And there are issues with the color beyond the WB when shooting under these conditions. Most of these indoor lights have poor color rendering indices, meaning that the intensity as a function of wavelength is highly variable. The result is that some colors appear richer than others. To make matters worse, the color rendering index (CRI) is usually a function of where the light is in its 60 Hz cycle. So beyond just adjusting the temperature and tint, I find I have to adjust the individual color channels for saturation and hue as well. It's an enormous amount of work unless the lighting is stable and you can apply WB and color channel correction to all the shots; never possible with cycling lights.

I always shoot RAW under these conditions and adjust by eye in the post. I've never found an ExpoDisk to be very helpful. YMMV. I also find that the ambient light during editing will affect how your eye sees the WB. An edit may look fine as you do it, but it may be off when viewed later with different ambient light.

I think the last two shots have much better WB than the first set.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2014
    John, you forgot to mention if you want to rid yourself of light cycling you should shoot at 1/60th. :P KIDDING

With lights that cycle there isn't much you can do but process each frame or strobe the rink.