removing backgrounds

livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
edited December 22, 2005 in Finishing School
i hope this is the right place for this question.....

i do a lot of photography at work, mostly taking pix of our products to go online or in our catalog. we handle cabinet hardware (yawn, i know). i will often just take a quick shot on my desk, or even in the little photo booth i made. however, i frequently need to remove the background and make a clipping path. i use the mask and touch up around the subject as needed, which sometimes can be quite time consuming.

is there another way to do this, or do i just keep on keeping on?

laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    It would help
    if you specify the following things:
    1) OS
    2) Software
    3) Few (1..3) medium size samples of the pictures you're trying to cleanup that pose a problem...

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 21, 2005
    livinginoz wrote:
    is there another way to do this, or do i just keep on keeping on?

thanks ne_nau.gif
    Never having done this myself, I will nevertheless offer a suggestion. :D I would think that you could place the hardware on some solid colored material--red, say--then do a select color on the red to grab the background. That should get the edges. You might have to tweak it a bit if there are reflections of red in the metal somewhere, but that should show on the mask. Once the selection is what you want you can clear the background.

Cheers,
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Blue screen abd green screen backgrounds are not that expensive...under $50 I do believe.....these are the same type used in ET, where the kids are flying thru the sky.....I have never shot with a blue or green screen but I understnd it is much easier than other colors....they are really bright so most clothing and such is not going to blend into them as they do most normal backgrounds.

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    thanks, everyone. i should have mentioned my software and stuff. i'm running CS2 on a g5 imac with mac os 10.4. i read through the similar threads listed, and i have to say, i always forget about "extract." what i frequently do is select as much background as i can, make a mask and then paint in what i need to do. i saw the photo of the people with the background in one of the threads, and that's similar to what i end up with sometimes. some of our products can get a little busy. i photograph hardware and it's a yawn. the biggest problem i can see with the background in green or blue is that if it reflects on the product it adds a color that isn't there. i guess i was hoping there was an easier way to do it.....i have a little photo booth set up, but i have a hard time with the lighting sometimes.

my stuff
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    OK, then
    Magic wand, extract, pen - are all your friends.

Also you can try to get differently colored sheets of paper/fabric and each time use the one that contrasts with the subject but does not create unwanted shades.

Another, slightly more cumbersome, but otherwise very effective technique, is as follows (it can be your only choice if your subjects are highly reflective).
    What you need is a mask/path.
    What you don't need is a color shades/reflection.
    Solution: Take TWO shots, one for the mask, another for the properly colored target.
    Have the camera on a tripod and try not to move the subject if possible. Take one on the contrasty background and use it to generate to path/mask. Use the second one without any color side effects as your target image and apply the mask from the first one.
    Even if the subject moves slightly between the shots, the mask will probably still be matching it very closely (you'd need to move it anyway from one image to another), and hopefully it will be relatively easy for you to clean a few discrepancies...

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
  • Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Oh yes. This link will teach you a GREAT deal on Everything you want to know about -Selections- PHOTOSHOP.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7020106~root=avatar~mode=flat
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/
  • livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Tom K. wrote:
    Oh yes. This link will teach you a GREAT deal on Everything you want to know about -Selections- PHOTOSHOP.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7020106~root=avatar~mode=flat

thanks! i am printing it out and i will go over it thoroughly.

:):

my stuff