Options

Draconian Contest rules

cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
edited August 28, 2004 in The Big Picture
I feel like saying to them, "Come on it is a scavenger hunt!" What are the chances that the students are going to be getting releases from people passing furniture in windows or sleeping in trucks. The whole thing is brain dead. And demanding ownership instead of right to use is just wrong.

"By submitting your photo(s) to Boston.com, you agree that such photo(s) and the accompanying information will become the property of Boston.com and you grant Boston.com permission to publicly display and use the photographs in any form or media for any and all purposes. You also warrant that (i) the photo is your original work, or is properly licensed, and does not violate the copyright or any other personal or property right of any third party, and (ii) you have obtained any and all releases and permissions necessary for our use. Your submission also allows Boston.com to edit, crop or adjust the colors of the image(s) on an as needed basis."
http://www.boston.com/news/education/scavenger_hunt/
Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph

Comments

• Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    What are the chances that the students are going to be getting releases from people passing furniture in windows or sleeping in trucks. The whole thing is brain dead. And demanding ownership instead of right to use is just wrong.

Model release forms at the specific level of furniture removal people and of people sleeping in trucks are needed for anything other than your own use.
    These are close up's of people who may not want to be published, maybe on a front page, seen 'sleeping off a few drinks'- as co-workers might say, could end a job.
    Removal man helping a friend move may be off sick from work. He could be a postal worker moonlighting......You might end up with a stalker..rolleyes1.gif

I agree with you on ownership. If they offer to buy it then it's upto you if you choose to sell it. But don't give it away unless your sure thats what you want to do. You may regret it if it's a great shot that gets used and used.

Don't rule out giving stuff away as it's better to be published than price yourself out the market on principle.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    Bodwick wrote:
    Model release forms at the specific level of furniture removal people and of people sleeping in trucks are needed for anything other than your own use.
    These are close up's of people who may not want to be published, maybe on a front page, seen 'sleeping off a few drinks'- as co-workers might say, could end a job.
    Removal man helping a friend move may be off sick from work. He could be a postal worker moonlighting......You might end up with a stalker..rolleyes1.gif
    I absolutely agree, but this is a photo scavenger hunt aimed at students and I'll bet the the Globe doesn't bother to check the model release forms and that none of the entries would pass muster if they did. They are callously encouraging students to submit entries that the Globe knows in advance will be not legit and when they publish and someone gets in trouble the Globe will put on a halo and point at the student.
    Bodwick wrote:
    I agree with you on ownership. If they offer to buy it then it's upto you if you choose to sell it. But don't give it away unless your sure thats what you want to do. You may regret it if it's a great shot that gets used and used.

Don't rule out giving stuff away as it's better to be published than price yourself out the market on principle.
    And again they are taking advantage of the students' lack of experience.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    What they're demanding is the minimum required by law. It does seem lazy and greedy to have the public do their shooting for them. And I agree, the real point of the legal language is to protect the newspaper. Kinda like an HR deparment is only there to protect the company, not help the employees.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au