Another "End Of An Era", Calumet USA closing all stores

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,102 moderator
edited March 18, 2014 in The Big Picture
From the Chicago Tribune:

"Calumet Photographic, a Chicago-based camera supply and photo services provider that first opened 1939, has abruptly closed its doors and filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection.

Calumet said on its Facebook page that it was closing its stores in the United States, but that its European stores would remain.

Some employees took to Facebook and Twitter to express anger over the sudden closure, saying they were not given prior notice.

In its Chapter 7 filing, in which a company prepares to liquidate, it listed between $50 million and $100 million in assets and $10 million to $50 million in liabilities.

"It has been a joy to share our passion for photography with you all of these years," the company posted on Facebook. "We'll miss each other and we'll miss all of our customers. Thank you for everything.""
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited March 13, 2014
    Yikes! They were quite the place for pros around here.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Yikes! They were quite the place for pros around here.
    Same, same, here in San Diego County - very few SLR/DSLR/MF retailers left... The Interweb strikes again!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • photobikerphotobiker Registered Users Posts: 4 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2014
    It must have been sudden. I just got an e-mail from them Wednesday advertising a new 50MP Hasselblad. They are taking Pre-Orders.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,102 moderator
    edited March 14, 2014
    photobiker wrote: »
    It must have been sudden. I just got an e-mail from them Wednesday advertising a new 50MP Hasselblad. They are taking Pre-Orders.

The new "[thread=245667]Hasselblad H5D 50c[/thread]" perhaps?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,935 moderator
    edited March 15, 2014
    The managers found out the night before. Couple people had stuff in for repair and were wondering what was going to happen-fortunately, they were able to get their stuff back.

PetaPixel had something suggesting employees saw this coming as fewer and fewer suppliers were willing to extend Calumet credit. When UPS refused to pick stuff up, most thought that was the end.

Anyway, there's a chance the place might open again with fewer stores. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    Very sad. I knew quite a few of the guys and gals at the Tyson's Corner, VA store, who'd worked there when it was Penn Camera, before Calumet bought them out. I always got good advice and service there. Usually I tried to buy from them if they had what I wanted. It was always nice to walk into the store and have someone call me by name.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.