Options

Kodak Standard flash (1950's model)

NSMNSM Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited March 17, 2014 in Accessories
Does anyone know if a vintage Kodak Standard Flash can be used without a camera? I am wanting the flash to actually flash, just for a prop not for taking a photo. thanks for the help in advance!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited March 17, 2014
    I believe there were several different models and styles of Kodak flash guns. I believe that they were generally 2 or 3 wire connectors. If you have a valid battery in the flash gun plus a good connection to the bulb and a viable bulb installed, then you should be able to short out a pair of connectors to make the bulb flash.

I suggest using an insulated screwdriver to short out the connectors to find which ones flash the bulb. Once you know which connectors to use, try to find an old automotive remote starter switch. You should be able to connect the remote starter to the proper connectors and make it easy to fire the bulb.

Use a long shutter duration on the taking camera and verbally/visually direct someone to flash the bulb during the open shutter on the taking camera (unless you plan to do this yourself). It may take some practice to coordinate this process.

Alternately, use post-processing (Photoshop) to "fake" the flashbulb firing. This may be easier to achieve and to expose than having the flash bulb fire.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums