Options

[Resolved] Lightroom plugin occasional race condition changes gallery info

FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
edited April 3, 2014 in Bug Reporting
This is reproducible but not every time I try, so I may be missing some aspect.

Scenario:

1) Create a gallery with some set of attributes (let's say Description = X)

2) Move a bunch of photos in, and start a lengthy upload

3) While it is uploading, edit the gallery, e.g. change description = Y. Note this happens immediately and you can go to the Smugmug site and see the Y description.

When complete at least some of the time, the description reverts to X at Smugmug.

I think there's some kind of residual impact of the running process, as though it is saving and restoring some value(s).

But I have also tried to reproduce this and had it not work, so for a while I convinced myself it was working correctly.

But it just happened to me again yesterday -- I found by accident I had a "Photos coming soon" description showing when I had changed, and observed, the correct description.

There's some kind of caching/race condition in long running uploads going on.

On an unrelated (?) note, why does it show "may not work" on the plugin manager? The attached screen shot is from my 5.3 64 bit Lightroom on Windows 8.1x64.

Comments

• Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 18, 2014
    Ferguson,

I can see how that could be an issue under certain limited circumstances. I've reworked slightly which should hopefully helping. Grab this version and see if you can reproduce it.

In regard the the "Installed, may not work" thing, that's just Adobe/LR being dumb....there are certain places where we might intentionally throw an error message to a user or cancel an action using the SDK's framework, but that somehow flags something internally which shows that status in the Plugin Manager. Unless it's red, I'd pretty much ignore it.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    My apologies, I apparently didn't have email notifications turned on and did not see your response until today. I just grabbed this and will see if I can reproduce, but as I said, it doesn't always happen.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    OK, it's still broken.

I think you can reproduce it as follows:

1) Create a gallery, empty, set description to "A"
    2) Start an upload of a bunch of photos (enough to give you time for step (3))
    3) while it is uploading, edit the gallery, and set the description to "B"
    4) Exit the edit normally, then sit and let the upload finish
    4a) Note that if you check Smugmug now the description is "B"
    5) Edit the gallery and add a keyword (notice the description is "A")
    5a) If you check Smugmug now the description, not manually touched in (5), is now "A"

What I think is happening is that the overlapping operations actually work with regard to Smugmug, but the completion of the upload restores the galley description it had at that time into the local definition (not Smugmug), so the next time you change anything (my example of a keyword was just an example) it writes the old values back to Smugmug.

I did the whole thing again, and instead of actually editing in step (5), I went to the surrounding folder, and did a synch hierarchy. That pulled down the latest ("B") description from Smugmug into Lightroom.

Hopefully that helps. It also explains, now, while I thought this hard to reproduce -- it's not screwing it up on Smugmug, it's screwing it up in lightroom, leaving it as kind of a time bomb for the subsequent update to screw up on Smugmug, a delayed impact. So when I tested before and checked -- not screwed up. Yet.
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2014
    Hey Ferguson,

Thanks for that...I still think that this issue is somehow timing related. Can you please try to reproduce with debugging logging enabled ?
    Lightroom-Plug-in-Manager-and-Lightroom-5-Catalog.lrcat---Adobe-Photoshop-Lightroom---Library.png

Then post the "SmugMug LrPublish.log" file here or via PM.

Thanks,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2014
    I did, I am sending a PM next with the log (not sure how much of what's in it may be confidential, keys, etc.)
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2014
    Thanks Ferguson, your logs were useful, at least in highlighting why I could reproduce your problem.

You have this option, deselected...right ?
    Lightroom-Publishing-Manager.png

If so, you may find that enabling it makes the problem go away, but I'm going to do some digging to see if I can resolve it.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited March 30, 2014
    ok, I reproduce and fixed the issue, please give this version a try with the option above unchecked.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    That version works correctly, thank you.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    Great, thanks Ferguson
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos