Options

OOYCZ 4 - Silhouettes from Pawley's Island, SC

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
edited March 25, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was in Pawley's Island for a few days and had a chance to capture a few silhouettes. Have done a quick processing to get input before looking more thoroughly through the photos I captured.

The last photo was taken when my son and I were both on the beach trying to capture the moonlight dancing on the water. When he turned to capture Myrtle Beach in the distance, I took a few photos of his silhouette. I was bracketing my exposures and found that I had captured some movement on the longest ones.

1a.
i-FSB4VXF-L.jpg

1b.
i-7K59sTk-L.jpg

i-Lp45zJT-L.jpg

i-FZzJSp9-L.jpg

May be able to add a few more options tonight or tomorrow - where the silhouette is more distinct.

Thanks,
Gretchen

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    I would say the first one with a tight crop for the roof and sky would work better for the theme , but I am still working on it to understand .
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2014
    I like the first one in B&W. I would crop some space from the right side to put it more into the Rule of Thirds. You may need to take a bit of the top , too.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2014
    Thank you for the input! Here are a few more silhouettes from my trip to Pawley's Island:

4a.
    i-2kgchFH-L.jpg

4b.
    i-4t9n2Z6-L.jpg

5a.
    i-TdFggCG-L.jpg

5b.
    i-S4gPxf6-L.jpg

i-W48vvmf-L.jpg
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2014
    This gave me such a feeling of nostalgia (I've been to Pawley's Island). I do like the last one of your son. And while sunsets are really good ways to get silhouettes, I would prefer 5a which has some color but not too much.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2014
    One more for consideration...

i-w35B3Jn-L.jpg
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    I like that last one, as you can see the weather vane. How about a shot just of the weather vane?
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2014
    Thanks for the input, Kate, GrandmaR, Chris, and Jeff.

I may get a chance to reprocess #1 a bit. I tried cropping #1 a bit differently and didn't like the result but may get a chance to reprocess it.

Kate, I am back home in PA now, so no opportunity to try something else on Pawley's Island. A tighter "shot" of the weather vane would mean significant cropping. I do like that last one for its simplicity.

The silhouette of my son is somewhat "lost" in overall scene but I am still drawn to it.

Fun challenge!

Gretchen
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2014
    Now remember this is not my thing but everyone has an opinion so #3 the close up version on 6 I would really like .( 6 with a close up crop ) On 7 my eye goes right to the blue bars and not the shot other than that I like it
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    I'm going to be the oddball here (this always happens lol) and vote for #5. To me, in the ones with the structure and the tree line, the structure gets lost in the tree line. With the structure next to the large tree in #5, it still happens a bit, but to a lesser extent. In this case, it works a little bit better because of the clear contrast in form (organic of tree vs strong lines of the structure). I do love your processing on these, especially the BW. Beautiful!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited March 24, 2014
    Thank you for the input! We've been away (in Dawson Creek, BC). Hoping to get home in time to enter one if these.
  • Options
    edited March 25, 2014
    Two more variations for your consideration:

i-KQ3tvQ2-L.jpg

i-Cs8DWdP-L.jpg