Options

Fixed url in Gallery

ishootdkishootdk Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 23, 2014 in SmugMug Feature Requests
Is it posssible to get a fixed url on the galleryes ?

If you share a URL for a Gallery, and later move it to a new folder, the URL is broken.
If the gallery has an uniq URL id (www.smugmug.com/galleryxxxx) the URL will be correct all the time, and give more flexibility on changes on the site.

Rule of abstraction in programming.
Why no adopt :-)

Jorn

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    ishootdk wrote: »
    Is it posssible to get a fixed url on the galleryes ?

If you share a URL for a Gallery, and later move it to a new folder, the URL is broken.
    If the gallery has an uniq URL id (www.smugmug.com/galleryxxxx) the URL will be correct all the time, and give more flexibility on changes on the site.

Rule of abstraction in programming.
    Why no adopt :-)

Jorn
    You can create a link for this but you have to get the AlbumID and AlbumKey from your page source
    on NewSmug. Using these like we did in legacy still works and NewSmug redirects to current galley.

If you look about 30 lines down you'll see feed links. At the end are the AlbumID and AlbumKey.
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" ... RSS Feed" href="/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=7864888_PXsPwQ&format=rss200" />
    <link rel="alternate" type="application/atom+xml"... Atom Feed" href="/hack/feed.mg?Type=gallery&Data=7864888_PXsPwQ&format=atom10" />

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/7864888_PXsPwQ

I just checked old gallery links in my blog and they still work because they
    have the AlbumID and AlbumKey at the end. Lucky, because I changed every
    one on NewSmug by adding an extra folder level.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    My question is, in NewSmug only the gallery name is used in link so if they are moved to different
    folder there's no AlbumID and AlbumKey. Will NewSmug redirect with just the gallery name?
    If not this breaks every link no mater where like on blogs, forums, etc.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    thenickdudethenickdude Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2014
    This is a feature of my SmugMug extension for chrome:

http://www.sherlockphotography.org/Customisations/SmugMug-for-Chrome

Use the "get a permalink" feature, and it'll give you a link for the gallery that will continue to work even if the gallery is moved.
    Allen wrote: »
    Will NewSmug redirect with just the gallery name?

No, if you have a link to a gallery then it must contain the AlbumID and AlbumKey in order to find it in its new location. If you have a link to an image file though, that will continue to work even if its containing gallery is moved.