Options

Facebook Likes Not Registering?

Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
edited April 4, 2014 in SmugMug Support
Lately I've been creating pages, using my photos, that sort of "blog" about whatever. I then use the various tools to post these pages to social media. When I post the URL of the page to Facebook, whenever people would "like" my post, that number would show up in the FB social media button on that particular page. I've noticed that the number is pretty close to real time. At lease usually.

Today I posted a new url for a new page. While the G+ & Twitter numbers updated, the FB is not updating at all.

Here's the FB, 30 minutes after posting, with a few "likes."

i-grW2ZTF-L.jpg

Here's the pages social media buttons.

i-8kwFvvS-L.jpg

Is this a bug, or has something changed in how this all is supposed to work? I'm not trying to be "snarky," I just know that sometimes SM makes changes behind the scenes that can have unintended results. Anyone else noticing this?

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2, 2014
    Never mind. It just updated.

Note to self, it takes about an hour for numbers to appear in the FB button, while the other two are pretty much instant.
  • Options
    edited April 2, 2014
    Sorry to back peddle again, but there is indeed something wonky going on with the social media button counts. I've tested this with Firefix, Chrome, and Internet Explorer on two different machines, and it's a consistent error I am seeing.

When I first open the new page this is the count I get, which is incorrect.

i-sbKsb5w-L.jpg

I'll then go to an older page that has it's own social media buttons with counted numbers, and then when I navigate back I show hits on FB, but now all the G+ are gone.

i-Ht4J5BS-L.jpg

Again, I am seeing this same result using three different browsers on two different machines located at different locations.

Anyone have a clue what could be causing this?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2014
    Social buttons are URL specific. It looks like you're using a custom domain on your site, so you'll need to make sure that you're looking at the page using your custom domain. If you use the SmugMug nickname address instead, it won't show any likes generated via your custom domain.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    I only use my custom domain to access my site. So that's not the issue. Thanks for trying though. It's still happening on my end, using both machines.

Here's how to see if you can replicate it.

1. Go to my page here: Belt Advancement
    The media count buttons are in the lower right, under the slideshow. When I first open the page they read, "0, 1, 2."

2. Using the bread crumbs, click the "Visual Anthology" link. This takes you to a new section of my site, which is essentially a collection of pages made to look like a gallery. Click the image of the baby with the octopus. The media numbers there are all working, no problem.

3. Again using the breadcrumb, go back to the collection of pages. For some reason, just hitting the back button on your mouse will mean when you go to "Belt Advancement" the numbers will still be "0, 1, 2." So using the breadcrumb, go back to the collection of pages, and then click on "Belt Advancement." The numbers should read "39, 0, 2."

I'm starting to wonder if the buttons are being affected by the slideshow? I have a problem where the slideshows effect my rounded corners using Chrome. While that issue is seen only in Chrome, this problem with the numbers is seen on three different browsers, at least here it is. I guess I'll see if you Smug folks can replicate it.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    I'm not seeing what you describe. Regardless of which browser (Firefox, Safari or Chrome) I use, I always see 41 likes, 0 g+, 2 Tweets on step 1 of your instructions. That's the same number I get on step 3.

You may have to clear the browser cache and cookies, close your browser and then open it again.

I'd also check on any extensions, toolbars or add-ons installed in your browsers. See if disabling them all and then clearing cache + closing and restarting your browser helps.

If the issue still persists, it might be an issue with something blocking parts of Facebook or our site on your computer, network or ISP. Try again on a different connection / computer.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2014
    Try again on a different connection / computer.

As I mentioned from the third post, I am seeing this on two different machines, and on both using three different browsers.

I just created a new post on FB for a new page, one without a slideshow. The button counters on this new page are all updating real time as people click the like button. I'm really starting to think it has to do with the slide show somehow. I'll move/delete it next as an experiment and will post what I find.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2014
    I'm not seeing what you describe.

Out of curiosity I clicked the link I placed in the "step 1" above. The numbers read "41, 1, 2."

At first I thought, "cool, this is working." Then I access the same page via my homepage, there you'll see my latest blog post. Clicking on the photo takes you to the specific page. The numbers through there read, "0, 1, 2."

Following the rest of the steps mentioned above, click the breadcrumb, go up a level, click a different page, click the breadcrumb to back up, and then click the original page. The numbers all read, "41, 1, 2."

I haven't had time to experiment with moving/deleting the slideshow yet.
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2014
    Darter02 wrote: »
    At first I thought, "cool, this is working." Then I access the same page via my homepage, there you'll see my latest blog post. Clicking on the photo takes you to the specific page. The numbers through there read, "0, 1, 2."
    The problem is that the feed content block on your homepage does not match exactly the link you have on your "Visual Anthology" folder. The link from the homepage includes a / at the end, while the link from your custom page does not. Apparently that results in Facebook seeing that as a different link. So you'd need to somehow adjust the link on your homepage to match the proper folder link without the / at the end.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2014
    Well I'll be darned! I went into blogger and deleted that "/" from the end. Low and behold, it now all works correctly! Mystery solved, and something I now know I have to be sure to look for when I create that image link. That was the very first time I created it for my blogger account. Before, I'd just embed the image using the code copied from the "get a link" menu. Naturally, it'd just open the actual image when click from my homepage. I then realized all I had to do was copy the page URL into where the image URL was. I did not notice the "/" at the end, and even had I noticed, would not have realized it would cause this to happen.

Long story short, THANKS!