Options

Older film body and new off-camera speedlights?

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited April 9, 2014 in Accessories
I'm having a lot of fun with my old 35mm film Nikon FE/MD12/50mm f1.4 combination these days shooting the Fuji Neopan Acros 100. Great fun in the daylight or natural light for sure.

What would be required to use that setup in more of a controlled lighting environment such as a studio or additional lighting outdoors with the use of speed lights/modifiers? I have a SB900, couple 700's and a 600 and four CactusV transceivers.

If I place the flash units on Manual each with a receiver, can I simply put a transmitter on the hotshoe of the FE and fire away adjusting each flash at the flash unit itself? Could I use the SB900 as a Commander for the other off-camera speed lights? And since I can't 'chimp' the shots for evaluating exposure, is this a futile exercise without a light meter?

I don't want to fry anything, that's for sure. Yet I'd like to try and get some off camera speed light working with this old film body.

Comments

• Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2014
    You could go old school and use optical triggers along with a PC sync cord to one of the other flash units, or a smaller flash on camera with the power adjusted just enough to trip the others.

Edit: Oops, forgot about the exposure bit. I'd just play about for a bit with whatever digital your using(flash and body in manual) as an experiment to see what settings work out the best for what you're doing.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2014
    FYI there are some cheap and free light meter apps for I phones. They work fairly well as a light meter. I shoot the same Nikon FE and a Bronica ETRS 120mm with my speed lights. I enjoy film and the darkroom process as well. It keeps the passion fun and alive for me.
    2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator
    edited April 9, 2014
    M38A1 wrote: »
    ... Could I use the SB900 as a Commander for the other off-camera speed lights? And since I can't 'chimp' the shots for evaluating exposure, is this a futile exercise without a light meter? ...

I don't believe that the SB900 can act as a Commander unless it is hooked to a compatible camera body which also supports advanced flash automation. I don't believe that the Nikon FE has such capabilities.

OTOH, I believe that the Nikon FE2 "does" have flash automation, but I'm still not sure about Commander mode operation.

I am not clear about how you wish to use the external flashes, but if you require advanced flash automation then I cannot recommend the Nikon FE as a desirable host body.

I believe that your SB900 has an "auto" mode, capable of basic autonomous flash automation (thyristor output control), and I believe that the SB900 also has an optical slave capability, allowing you to trigger it from any other simple manual or auto flash unit attached to the camera. (I'm unsure about the SB700 and SB600 capabilities.) You can purchase additional flash units with similar capabilities (to the SB900), but I have to caution that simple auto/thyristor flashes don't work very well in outdoor and large venues. (Very dark and very light backgrounds, including backgrounds with mirrors, etc., can also throw off exposures.) Negative film does have a bit more headroom than digital, so you might find it better to slightly overexpose in those situations.

Experience will help to guide you with exposure if you persist.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2014
    Thanks for the replies....

Ziggy - I'm not sure 'why' I want to try this other than I saw some very nice shots done with B&W film and it got me thinking about maybe using my old film body to try and shoot something like similar. After consideration, I think I'll just try to do those types of shots with natural light and strategically placed reflectors as needed.