Options

smugmug vs. pbase - Does anyone use the smugmug "traditional" view?

2»

Comments

• Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I just want to put my two cents in here to add to the discussion.

On pbase, I didn't know you could click on a large image to go back to thumbnails. Now that I do know that, I really like it. However, I do not like the fact that you go back to the top of the screen.

I have to admit that after 4 years of using pbase, I didn't know that either. :)
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I absolutely hate popups. When I am showing people images from my site, I really hate getting the popup window when I click on an image. The window is a not maximized and then you have to close the window to go back. Then you have to repeat the process to open another image. I like the idea of all thumbs, then click once to view full-sized image, then click again to return to the thumbs. That would be wonderful! Especially for me, I can never get slideshow to work well on my computer.

'All Thumbs' doesn't work for you? And what's wrong with slideshow?
    NikonGirl wrote:
    And finally, I want to add that I really really really don't like the page numbers. I can't even begin to tell you the number of times I have to tell someone looking at my smugmug site that there are more pages. Half the time, they don't even notice those teeny page numbers at the top.

I'm all ears if you've got a better idea. :)

Don
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    OK, here's some concrete feedback on how smugmug's traditional and all thumbs compare to the default pbase style. I'm not a pbase expert. The pbase gallery I used for comparison was mostly this one. I'm viewing from my laptop with a 1050x1400 screen from a window that's full height and 2/3 width (my typical usage).

Seven points in all with screen shots for some of them.

1) The pbase view is a lot more compact (more thumbs visible on my screen without scrolling and less wasted space between thumbs). The pbase gallery I looked at shows four rows of six thumbs (total of 24 thumbs on the screen that are 107x160 in size) when you first open it. In smugmug, traditional shows three rows of four (total of 12 thumbs visible that are 100x150 in size) with lots of wasted space between them. In smugmug, all-thumbs view, it shows six rows of six, but the thumbs are a lot smaller 67x100. So, I'd conclude that the pbase view is a better use of screen real estate with larger thumbs than the smugmug traditional view while the smugmug all thumbs view is even more compact than the pbase view at the sacrifice of smaller thumbs and no captions/filenames. If you want captions/filenames or want larger thumbs with no paging and want an all thumb view, pbase is better.

Here are what the three different views look like in roughly equal sized windows:
    pBase:
    49300858-L.jpg

Smugmug traditional:
    49302332-L.jpg

Smugmug all-thumbs:
    49302324-L.jpg

So I'm afraid if this is the main point, we're never going to be competitive. We would consider their layout a colossal failure: it doesn't fit on an 800x600px display without horizontal scrolling. Greater than 30% of the web browsing public browses at 800x600, and we have to support that. Vertical scrolling is painful enough, but horizontal is death.

The other related points are interesting, but I think if you look at our layout with an eye to our efficient screen real-estate on 800x600 browsers, we're about as efficient as you can get.

More on the other points when/if I get time. Thanks for the great feedback and examples!

Don
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    You could do lots if you wanted to...
    onethumb wrote:
    So I'm afraid if this is the main point, we're never going to be competitive. We would consider their layout a colossal failure: it doesn't fit on an 800x600px display without horizontal scrolling. Greater than 30% of the web browsing public browses at 800x600, and we have to support that. Vertical scrolling is painful enough, but horizontal is death.

The other related points are interesting, but I think if you look at our layout with an eye to our efficient screen real-estate on 800x600 browsers, we're about as efficient as you can get.

More on the other points when/if I get time. Thanks for the great feedback and examples!

Don
    Sorry, but that is not a very complete answer. There are a lot of things smugmug could do here to be more competitive with the desires of pbase users and still stay within 800x600 if you want to. Just because some pbase users have configured their site to be wide doesn't invalidate all the other things you could do to appeal to them. Some smugmug users have configured their sites to be wide too.

I'm not going to beat my head against the wall here because this is not for me. I'm just reporting that there are many pbase users who are ripe for a change because they are tired of stability problems at pbase, but they won't consider smugmug because they think it doesn't have the kind of format they want. If you don't want to appeal to them more than you do now, that's your choice and I will not spend my time arguing with them to try smugmug.

I'm just reporting from the field what frequently happens when I enounter a pbase user who is frustrated with pbase and ripe for a change, but doesn't think smugmug measure up. Do with the info as you want.

Some things you could do if you wanted to:
    • Tighten up the dead space in traditional and all-thumbs. pbase has larger thumbs that use less space.
    • Offer an option to show captions in all-thumbs. Smugmug has no all-thumbs view that also shows captions.
    • Offer an all-thumbs link after the last page in traditional. This is a really nice touch in pbase. You can default to paging in case people have slow links, but let users opt to view all the thumbs and eliminate paging. Paging can make it very, very inefficient to find and compare a couple images among many pages.
    • Offer a view that's in-between all-thumbs and traditional that has the thumb size of traditional and captions, but shows all thumbs and is as compact as possible.
    • Fix the wasted line of screen at the top from the style picker to fit more of a vertical image on screen. This could be incorporated into the other lines of the header with a redesign. FWIW, the places that smugmug uses drop-down lists are just plain ugly on the PC and not very space efficient.
    • Make a theme that looks and works as much like pbase as possible. You could call it "simple" or "clean". A bunch of the "look" can be done with CSS. You'd minimize the chrome at the top and simplify the lines to what a pbase user would call a "cleaner" style.
    • Fix the navigation model from traditional and all-thumbs so it works as easily as it does in pbase without popups, without accidentally encountering giant image sizes, etc...
    • Let the user configure number of thumbs across in all-thumbs and traditional and the total number of thumbs in all views. Regular smugmug users would love this too. If you want to limit the format to 800 wide by default, that's fine. Smugmug users can use CSS styling to change the width if they want.
    • Create a new view that's a combination of the smugmug style and the pbase style. Have all thumbs on the left side of the screen and the medium image on the right (just like the smugmug style today), but let the all thumbs on the left scroll independently so the medium size image stays on screen while you scroll and select thumbs. For people with enough bandwidth to not mind loading all thumbs or for galleries with a small number of pages, this would eliminate paging (which is a major gripe of some smugmug users), but retain the efficient browsing of the smugmug style.
    • Implement a navigation shortcut that let's you do the following: All thumbs (with captions). Click on a thumb to view the large version of the image in the same window. Click on the image to trigger the back button (via JavaScript) to take you back to the exact same scrolled location in the all thumbs view.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2005
    A comment on 800x600
    onethumb wrote:

This is a completely separate comment from the other things that can be done without affecting screen width.

As I expect you know, the world is moving away from 800x600. According to the W3C statistics I saw, 30% of users used that resolution in Jan of 2005, down to 25% in June and the latest statistics aren't out yet, but one can assume it has dropped from there.

I'm personally disappointed at the number of web-sites that hard-wire their content to half the width of my screen, choosing NOT to let the user have the option of configuring a wide window and have lots of content on the screen at once. Smugmug has made that same choice to my disappointment - widths are hard wired in the CSS and do not adapt to a user's window width. Photo browsing is probably the ultimate example of where you'd like to use all your screen real-estate to it's maximum advantage because not doing so just makes you click and scroll more than need be.

You could choose to innovate and offer the maximum experience at a number of different screen widths rather than subjecting everyone to the 800x600 limitations of <25% of the world with a fixed width that is optimized ONLY at 600x800.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    'All Thumbs' doesn't work for you? And what's wrong with slideshow?
    When I select slideshow, everything becomes very "jerky". The images change from one image to another in a jerky way (it's the only word I can think of to describe what it does). As it goes to another image, it flashes darker and darker until it's gone and the next image flashes lighter and lighter until it displays. But it's not a smooth transition, it's very jerky. I turn off fade, but that doesn't seem to help. Even my mouse behaves in a jerky manner when slideshow is on. It's difficult to control when I want to change the amount of time between transitions or turn off fade.

However, and I just discovered this, I selected "Full-screen" and it works great! I'm very pleased with how it works!! I'm so glad I just "discovered" it - thank you!

But the slideshow style that is not full-screen just doesn't work on my computer. I use Firefox, if that might be the reason???

As for the page numbers, I have no idea what to suggest. I'm just stating a fact. Again, they are hard to read and I know that, unless I'm standing right next to them, people have missed the other pages.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm personally disappointed at the number of web-sites that hard-wire their content to half the width of my screen, choosing NOT to let the user have the option of configuring a wide window and have lots of content on the screen at once.

Interesting. I hate it when my browser takes over the whole screen. I may be capable of more than 800x600, but I don't really want to use it...I've got too much going on behind it to want the whole screen taken up by one app. Just me.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    Any smugmug comment on better thumb views?
    jfriend wrote:
    Sorry, but that is not a very complete answer. There are a lot of things smugmug could do here to be more competitive with the desires of pbase users and still stay within 800x600 if you want to. Just because some pbase users have configured their site to be wide doesn't invalidate all the other things you could do to appeal to them. Some smugmug users have configured their sites to be wide too.

I'm not going to beat my head against the wall here because this is not for me. I'm just reporting that there are many pbase users who are ripe for a change because they are tired of stability problems at pbase, but they won't consider smugmug because they think it doesn't have the kind of format they want. If you don't want to appeal to them more than you do now, that's your choice and I will not spend my time arguing with them to try smugmug.

I'm just reporting from the field what frequently happens when I enounter a pbase user who is frustrated with pbase and ripe for a change, but doesn't think smugmug measure up. Do with the info as you want.

• Tighten up the dead space in traditional and all-thumbs. pbase has larger thumbs that use less space.
    • Offer an option to show captions in all-thumbs. Smugmug has no all-thumbs view that also shows captions.
    • Offer an all-thumbs link after the last page in traditional. This is a really nice touch in pbase. You can default to paging in case people have slow links, but let users opt to view all the thumbs and eliminate paging. Paging can make it very, very inefficient to find and compare a couple images among many pages.
    • Offer a view that's in-between all-thumbs and traditional that has the thumb size of traditional and captions, but shows all thumbs and is as compact as possible.
    • Fix the wasted line of screen at the top from the style picker to fit more of a vertical image on screen. This could be incorporated into the other lines of the header with a redesign. FWIW, the places that smugmug uses drop-down lists are just plain ugly on the PC and not very space efficient.
    • Make a theme that looks and works as much like pbase as possible. You could call it "simple" or "clean". A bunch of the "look" can be done with CSS. You'd minimize the chrome at the top and simplify the lines to what a pbase user would call a "cleaner" style.
    • Fix the navigation model from traditional and all-thumbs so it works as easily as it does in pbase without popups, without accidentally encountering giant image sizes, etc...
    • Let the user configure number of thumbs across in all-thumbs and traditional and the total number of thumbs in all views. Regular smugmug users would love this too. If you want to limit the format to 800 wide by default, that's fine. Smugmug users can use CSS styling to change the width if they want.
    • Create a new view that's a combination of the smugmug style and the pbase style. Have all thumbs on the left side of the screen and the medium image on the right (just like the smugmug style today), but let the all thumbs on the left scroll independently so the medium size image stays on screen while you scroll and select thumbs. For people with enough bandwidth to not mind loading all thumbs or for galleries with a small number of pages, this would eliminate paging (which is a major gripe of some smugmug users), but retain the efficient browsing of the smugmug style.
    • Implement a navigation shortcut that let's you do the following: All thumbs (with captions). Click on a thumb to view the large version of the image in the same window. Click on the image to trigger the back button (via JavaScript) to take you back to the exact same scrolled location in the all thumbs view.

I was wondering if this thread got lost in the holidays as my concrete suggestions for how to better attract users from certain competitors never got any smugmug response?

Since there appears to be a lot of emotion around pbase, maybe we should think of this as "improving smugmug's all-thumb views" such that smugmug users would like them more and smugmug could more easily attract users from competitors that have more flexible all-thumb views.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I was wondering if this thread got lost in the holidays as my concrete suggestions for how to better attract users from certain competitors never got any smugmug response?

Since there appears to be a lot of emotion around pbase, maybe we should think of this as "improving smugmug's all-thumb views" such that smugmug users would like them more and smugmug could more easily attract users from competitors that have more flexible all-thumb views.

Hi John,

Nothing is lost. I'm sorry we're trying to work as fast as we can on these sorts of things. I'm working with a pro now, who is looking to accomplish this, but I'm on his schedule. Another SmugMugger-hacker, has also written a Pbase "backup" utility that also happens to be great for getting images from Pbase to SmugMug deal.gif

We really appreciate your input and suggestions - and time - but remember please that these things take some time thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    A couple thoughts about human nature
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John,

Nothing is lost. I'm sorry we're trying to work as fast as we can on these sorts of things. I'm working with a pro now, who is looking to accomplish this, but I'm on his schedule. Another SmugMugger-hacker, has also written a Pbase "backup" utility that also happens to be great for getting images from Pbase to SmugMug deal.gif

We really appreciate your input and suggestions - and time - but remember please that these things take some time thumb.gif

If you want to encourage customers to make thoughtful and detailed feature proposals, those postings (when they happen) should be acknowledged and the poster should be given some feedback.

It's human nature that if no feedback is given, the poster will not find a whole lot of encouragement to produce further detailed feedback. On the flip side of the coin, the deeper the engagement and discussion of a given issue, the more encouraged everyone (the original poster and the others who read the disucssion) will be to bring more new ideas here.

There is sometimes great engagement so this is not an indictment of the process here in general. But, I asked about this one again because I made a fairly long list of what I thought were very concrete suggestions and things went completely radio silent after that. In this particular thread, OneThumb did initially engage, but I disagreed strongly with his arguments, made a new proposal to explain that and then heard nothing after that.

As one example of what can happen, I stopped providing any feedback to Adobe because I never get any feedback from anyone at Adobe. That's not meant as a threat, just an illustration of how human nature works.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    If you want to encourage customers to make thoughtful and detailed feature proposals, those postings (when they happen) should be acknowledged and the poster should be given some feedback.

It's human nature that if no feedback is given, the poster will not find a whole lot of encouragement to produce further detailed feedback. On the flip side of the coin, the deeper the engagement and discussion of a given issue, the more encouraged everyone (the original poster and the others who read the disucssion) will be to bring more new ideas here.

There is sometimes great engagement so this is not an indictment of the process here in general. But, I asked about this one again because I made a fairly long list of what I thought were very concrete suggestions and things went completely radio silent after that. In this particular thread, OneThumb did initially engage, but I disagreed strongly with his arguments, made a new proposal to explain that and then heard nothing after that.

As one example of what can happen, I stopped providing any feedback to Adobe because I never get any feedback from anyone at Adobe. That's not meant as a threat, just an illustration of how human nature works.

John, I and others gave lots of feedback here. I don't know what else we can do, short of showing you all of our internal emails and chatter :D Some things take time - and get prioritized along with everything else. I sure hope that you don't feel we're not listening to you - we've acknowledged each and every one of your posts - and we value highly your contributions - really we do! Please, give us some time.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    Confused at this point
    Andy wrote:
    John, I and others gave lots of feedback here. I don't know what else we can do, short of showing you all of our internal emails and chatter :D Some things take time - and get prioritized along with everything else. I sure hope that you don't feel we're not listening to you - we've acknowledged each and every one of your posts - and we value highly your contributions - really we do! Please, give us some time.

This will be my last post in this thread as apparently I'm not making myself clear. I acknowledged that, in general, you provide excellent feedback. That's why I'm participating here in the first place.

I was trying to explain that the reason I asked if this particular issue fell between the cracks is that neither this post or this post in this thread received any response from anyone at smugmug. I was having a dialog with OneThumb on the issue and then all communications went completely dark after I submitted some concrete proposals for what could be done and disagreed with his earlier postings. I was left with the impression that nobody from smugmug wanted to discuss the topic any further, but I really didn't know whether that was the case or things had fallen through the cracks over the holidays. I still, to this day, have no idea if anyone at smugmug thought my proposals were useful or not or whether they even considered them.

When you say, "give us some time", are you asking me to wait longer to hear any response from my feature suggestions (it's been 17 days)? Or were you referring to something else?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    This is a completely separate comment from the other things that can be done without affecting screen width.

As I expect you know, the world is moving away from 800x600. According to the W3C statistics I saw, 30% of users used that resolution in Jan of 2005, down to 25% in June and the latest statistics aren't out yet, but one can assume it has dropped from there.

I'm personally disappointed at the number of web-sites that hard-wire their content to half the width of my screen, choosing NOT to let the user have the option of configuring a wide window and have lots of content on the screen at once. Smugmug has made that same choice to my disappointment - widths are hard wired in the CSS and do not adapt to a user's window width. Photo browsing is probably the ultimate example of where you'd like to use all your screen real-estate to it's maximum advantage because not doing so just makes you click and scroll more than need be.

You could choose to innovate and offer the maximum experience at a number of different screen widths rather than subjecting everyone to the 800x600 limitations of <25% of the world with a fixed width that is optimized ONLY at 600x800.

Thanks John. Yes, more and more people so have larger monitors - and such a feature would be very interesting, indeed. We discucs things like this all the time - but remember, such changes get prioritized along with everything else we've got on our to-do list.

We *really* appreciate your suggestion - and may I ask that you put a reference in the features request thread to this post, so that it can be with the rest of the feature requests - and NOT get lost in the sauce. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    jfriend wrote:

John, thank you very much for this great info. I'll make sure that JT and Ben see it.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2006
    jfriend wrote:

When you say, "give us some time", are you asking me to wait longer to hear any response from my feature suggestions (it's been 17 days)? Or were you referring to something else?

Yes, give us all a little breathing room, please. Don's made no secret about what's going on in his life for the past couple of months and then finally the great news 2 nights ago that he and his wife have twins! Also - Don and JT don't and can't possibly post to every thread and post - if they did, well then it's hard to continue innovating and developing new stuff :D I try hard to keep up with things.. and count on you guys to keep us honest. I've tried to give you assurances that everything is read and digested by us. These are important topics - but we don't only rely on this forum for our product direction, John. It's also not unusual at all for a discussion like this to go on over a period of time. Please have patience with us. Thanks for telling it straight - and I do hope that you will continue to post in this thread - we sincerely do "get it."

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2006