Options

Can't open videos into lightbox mode

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited April 9, 2014 in SmugMug Support
In the smugmug style ... it's not possible to double-click a video and have it open into lightbox mode.

To get to lightbox mode, one has to double-click a photo first - so, before or after the video - and then arrow forward or back to the video.

It's a bit embarrassing to explain this to people who visit a gallery.

And in some galleries I have only videos, so viewing in lightbox is not even an option.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2014
    There shouldn't be any need to access lightbox as the video player comes with a full screen button. That allows the visitor to view the current video they watch full screen if they wish to view it larger. That's a standard feature I see on almost any video player on sites I visit, which means that many visitors will already know how to use the feature even if they haven't visited a SmugMug site before.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2014
    Why should we have to look at a highly pixelated distorted full screen video, it looks like garbage. Not all videos are high resolution.
    Lightbox allows us to see any size we want.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    Sebastian that is so not an answer. Lightbox gives multiple size options depending on browser size. That is what is required. Full-screen only is a wormy apple as opposed to a ripe orange.

I assume this is a bug that Smugmug needs to fix. For example, one side effect of videos that don't double-click but photos that do, is that if a viewer who is looking for options to enlarge, double-clicks a video, and nothing happens, s/he is likely appropriately going to conclude that there are No larger options for anything, because s/he has no reason to try again on another thumbnail.

I would suggest Smugmug not answer a question with something that isn't relevant, it only serves to frustrate everyone. . Is it in the bug list? If not, what needs to happen to get it there?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    Double-clicking videos to go into lightbox mode was normal in old Smugmug. This is a bug not to work in New.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    Videos DO go into lightbox mode in New - but via the wrong mechanism: double-clicking a photo first and then arrowing to the video.
    Answering with 'full screen is the answer,' begs this point.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    See my caption on every video.
    http://www.photosbyat.com/MyKeywords/Bird-Videos/

It's the only indication to visitors that lightbox exists for videos.

I've always used a single click on main photo to enter lightbox. What's with the double click?
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    Allen wrote: »

I've always used a single click on main photo to enter lightbox. What's with the double click?

You're right Allen, single click. My mistake.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    Allen wrote: »

You added an html link to every video caption? :jawdrop
    Does this mean smugmug is not considering this a bug and there is no hope for the future?
    That makes no sense because the lightbox function - of clicking an image to open it - is inconsistent, which means in essence it is broken because it works for one file type but not another. Visitors get misinformation via what they click.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    Allen, this is an aside, but I noticed your yellow note to click the page numbers to jump pages. The note is slightly unclear because in actuality the viewer must hover over the first page (left side number). Hovering over the slash or the right side page number, does nothing. This I see in FF and Chrome. In IE8 (which I have to use for work reasons), the image is different, but one still must hover over the left side number or the dropdown arrows to bring up the list of pages. It appears the difference between FF/Chrome, and IE8, is that the former have no dropdown arrow showing, and IE does.

IE8
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    Here's FF.
    The blank area to the left of the slash seems to an invisible placeholder for the dropdown arrow.
    I placed the cursor between the 2 and the 1 on the right side to show you that if I click that area, I get no dropdown list of pages.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2014
    Yal, I know it's not perfect but better then nothing. Still think some 10year old designed this back in the 90's.
    That's how ugly the page nav is. A tremendous downgrade from legacy.