Damsel Silhouette

SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited December 25, 2005 in Holy Macro
Looking for a little feedback on composition, perspective, and especially sharpening.

This was taken early in the afternoon sometime this past summer in a pretty dense forest. The damselfly pictured is the black winged variant. It has a wonderfully colorful body, usually a either iridescent blue or green, or a mix of both. Not that you could tell in this photo... but thats kind of the point.

One more thing - Hello to all of you. This is my first post here... followed on the coattails of Tom K. He posted a link to the LAB thread at the www.dslreports.com digital imaging forum... And then I got to browsing these forums. Great site you've got here. Its a big change from a site that has 247 non photo related boards and 85,000 active registered users.

- Sam

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    Have you considered this?
    SCS_Photo wrote:
    Looking for a little feedback on composition, perspective, and especially sharpening.

This was taken early in the afternoon sometime this past summer in a pretty dense forest. The damselfly pictured is the black winged variant. It has a wonderfully colorful body, usually a either iridescent blue or green, or a mix of both. Not that you could tell in this photo... but thats kind of the point.

One more thing - Hello to all of you. This is my first post here... followed on the coattails of Tom K. He posted a link to the LAB thread at the www.dslreports.com digital imaging forum... And then I got to browsing these forums. Great site you've got here. Its a big change from a site that has 247 non photo related boards and 85,000 active registered users.

- Sam

Neat pic. I'm wondering if you've considered boosting the background with a simple curve like this:

49308579-L.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    I agree jfriend made it look much more alive.

kc7dji

jfriend wrote:
    Neat pic. I'm wondering if you've considered boosting the background with a simple curve like this:

49308579-L.jpg
  • SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    jfriend wrote:

49308579-L.jpg
    How about this.

I kind of liked the smoothness of it. Do you think it would be better with a less diffused light source in the background? I'll play around with lighting effects a little...
  • Tom K.Tom K. Registered Users Posts: 817 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    I am partial to the original image. It's uniqueness sets it apart from the pack. The others are OK....but......they attempt to make it more conventional. To me unique is a very tough thing to come these days.
    Visit My Web Site ~ http://www.tomkaszuba.com/