Options

What portable storage do you use?

2»

Comments

• Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    What size is the drive of the $150 version? I looked at the website but it didn't say.

Hi Mike,
    Their website is a bit confusing, it took me a while to figure it out. Maybe they should get you get it up to par with some good old CSS! umph.gif

Try this link, it may be more helpful http://www.eastgear.com/shop/index.php?currency=USD&cPath=17_66

To summarize:
    The $150 price is for the PD70X alone with no memory.
    PD70X+ 40gig - $211
    PD70X + 60gig - $241
    PD70X + 80gig - $272
    PD70X + 100gig - $296

I got the 40 gig one. It comes with an AC adapter and a Car Cigarette lighter adaptor.

When you consider a 1 gig card is ~$80-$100 and a 2 gig card is ~$200 .....$211 is a damn good price for 40 gig's.

Happy New Year,
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Rohirrim wrote:
    To summarize:
    The $150 price is for the PD70X alone with no memory.
    PD70X+ 40gig - $211
    PD70X + 60gig - $241
    PD70X + 80gig - $272
    PD70X + 100gig - $296

Whoa, good to know. I almost went with the $150 one. Does that mean that you can easily put any drive you want into the thing?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

359519.jpg

equals teh s01ut10n!

Which model of the CF reader is that? And are you sure it works with the iPod and it's camera connector?

The reason I ask, I bought the iPod and camera connector and could not find ANY CF readers that worked. I spent an afternoon at Fry's Electronics trying every USB CF reader they sold. None of them worked. The clerk that helped me was just as supprised as I was to find none of them worked.

I finally gave up and returned the camera connector. Sure it worked when connecting to my DRebel, but it sucked the batteries on both the iPod and camera dry, and it was slooooow!
  • Options
    CrispinCrispin Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Whoa, good to know. I almost went with the $150 one. Does that mean that you can easily put any drive you want into the thing?

I like this! They seel it empty and you can stick your own drive in clap.gif
    http://www.compactdrive.com/product.php?p=pd7x
    There's a German guy on eBay selling a 120GB for around £95! Dirt cheap! clap.gif
    Very cool!
    Cheers,
    Crispin
    http://crispin.smugmug.com
    SQL Mechanic
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

I think you could put any drive you wanted in as long as it's compatible. I don't know enough about hard drives to know for sure. If you buy one with the Hard Drive already in it the drive is a Samsung 5200rpm if that helps. Since I bought the one with the drive in it, I don't know how hard it would be to put in a drive or to change a drive.

I hope that helps ne_nau.gif

There is a very detailed review on the unit at http://www.phidong.com/archives/000405.php

The advantages of this unit for me were/are:
    • Small- can easily be carried on a belt/large pocket.
    • Fast
    • Long battery life- according to the Company up to 50 gigs on a single battery charge.
    • Excellent $/gig value. I carry 2-1 gig cards in the field. When one fills up, empty card into PD70X, until the other card is full then switch.
    • It could also be used as a back up while out shooting. Since it's so small you could store a copy of your CF cards on the disc. That way you would have 2 copies of your shots immediately.
    Iv'e only had it since Christmas and it's worked very well so far. I havn't been able to get out much though because of the weather. I'll add more info of my own as I get to use it more.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 2, 2006
    I bought a PD70X last June. I was entirely happy with it and recommended it to others on this site. Unfortunately, I now have two problems with it. First, the battery charger seems to have stopped working. Second, and more serious, one of the pins in the CF socket is bent so badly that it is not possible to insert a card. :cry From it's appearance, I would say that it happened on removing the card. It's almost pulled out of the mounting and bent to one side. I guess I could call myself lucky that the pin didn't come out altogether and get stuck in the card. If you call that lucky.

I noticed as soon as I got the unit that there was a lot of play on inserting a card. I consider this to be a design flaw. I had been very careful about inserting the card precisely because I was worried about bending the pins. Guess I wasn't careful enough on removing it.

Anyway, now that the holidays are over, I will be contacting the local service dealer and I'll let you know what the warranty service is like. In the meantime, if you are considering buying a PD70X (or already have one) be aware that you must be very careful when inserting or removing a CF card.

Cheers,
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    I got the Epson P2000 /40G with CF card capabilities and love it! Simple to use, and took it with me to play with at relatives house for the holidays---couldn't resist, lol. Everyone enjoyed seeing our photos on the trip, and for me, to see the photos in that large size is wonderful when shooting.

I knew I wanted it when looking at some photos at the beach I took the week before on a gloomy day. The 20D viewfinder and histogram showed them slightly dark, but I wanted clarity so I shot at that shutterspeed of my kids surfing. When I got home, they look horrible in full size. I knew then it was the large screen Epson rather than the ipod, just for viewing my work while shooting.thumb.gif

Very well thought out pice of hard drive. Just slip the CF card after a few shots, and you'll see real quick if your exposure is acceptible. It also has music downloads for itune capable too. And I love the 4 choices for slide show. Very impressive. Mainly the large screen sold me.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I almost went with the $150 one. Does that mean that you can easily put any drive you want into the thing?

Mike, the iPod not the ideal solution? If the PD70X is anything like my Nexto CF, it will fit any 2,5" (say: notebook) harddisk that supports FAT32. My Nexto CF (ordered through jaldigital) even came with a little screwdriver to help you do that. Being the typical me, I still ordered one with a harddisk preinstalled. Earlier on in life I found out that I can use technology, but not build it.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    The iPod is not good for portable harddrive solution... Damn it :splat

• Options
    StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    I have the P2000. The screen is awesome. thumb.gif I have a Sony F828, which I use CF cards for and a Nikon D50 which uses SD cards. The P2000 takes both of them! I do need to see if I can get an adapter for the CF to MS so I can download hubbies pics from his 717 and my snaps from my Sony P200. Does anyone know if something like that even exists? I have looked in all the stores and can't find anything. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I bought a PD70X last June. I was entirely happy with it and recommended it to others on this site. Unfortunately, I now have two problems with it. First, the battery charger seems to have stopped working. Second, and more serious, one of the pins in the CF socket is bent so badly that it is not possible to insert a card. :cry From it's appearance, I would say that it happened on removing the card. It's almost pulled out of the mounting and bent to one side. I guess I could call myself lucky that the pin didn't come out altogether and get stuck in the card. If you call that lucky.

I noticed as soon as I got the unit that there was a lot of play on inserting a card. I consider this to be a design flaw. I had been very careful about inserting the card precisely because I was worried about bending the pins. Guess I wasn't careful enough on removing it.

Anyway, now that the holidays are over, I will be contacting the local service dealer and I'll let you know what the warranty service is like. In the meantime, if you are considering buying a PD70X (or already have one) be aware that you must be very careful when inserting or removing a CF card.

Cheers,

Oh, sure now you tell me! rolleyes1.gif

1drink.gif
    The CF card slot on mine fits really well. There doesn't seem to be any play at all. I wonder if they either fixed the problem since you got yours, or if you got a bad copy.

I hope all goes well with their customer service for you!

Regards,
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    Guzzler wrote:
    Which model of the CF reader is that? And are you sure it works with the iPod and it's camera connector?

The reason I ask, I bought the iPod and camera connector and could not find ANY CF readers that worked. I spent an afternoon at Fry's Electronics trying every USB CF reader they sold. None of them worked. The clerk that helped me was just as supprised as I was to find none of them worked.

I finally gave up and returned the camera connector. Sure it worked when connecting to my DRebel, but it sucked the batteries on both the iPod and camera dry, and it was slooooow!

Yes, this is almost exactly what I did (except I looked online at wikipedia to find out that next to no cf card readers work). My camera connector has since been returned.

• Options
    edited January 2, 2006
    I was just made aware from a PM that there is another PSD that appears to be the PD70X but with another name. The Hyperdrive HD80. As far as I can tell it's the same as the PD70X.

Bad news for me is that it's cheaper than the PD70X and the shipping is less expensive as well. But thats good news to anyone that is considering buying it now.

Site info http://www.hyperdrive.com/shop/information.php?info_id=7
  • Options
    GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Yes, this is almost exactly what I did (except I looked online at wikipedia to find out that next to no cf card readers work). My camera connector has since been returned.

Dang it! I thought you might have found a CF reader that worked.

Don't feel bad, I bought the iPod just for the ability to copy off my images to the iPod for long trips. Now I'm stuck with the iPod. Had I done more research I wouldn't have bought the dang thing and gone with some other MP3 player that DID work with CF cards.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 4, 2006
    Mike,

I ran out at lunch and bought a 30gb Ipod after reading your earlier posts.

Now I read this. Dang you.... Oh well, I am copying workout music to it now. I can finally listen to what I want working out this afternoon. :-)

If you figure out a way, please let me know. I was hoping to use it as a portable storage device as well.

Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Mike,

I ran out at lunch and bought a 30gb Ipod after reading your earlier posts.

Now I read this. Dang you.... Oh well, I am copying workout music to it now. I can finally listen to what I want working out this afternoon. :-)

If you figure out a way, please let me know. I was hoping to use it as a portable storage device as well.

Doc
    Uh... Sorry about that. :uhoh

I'll go and edit that post... Enjoy the iPod though!

• Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    Do edit it so that others do not fall prey to the ipod god.

I have already uploaded 3 of my celtic CDs to it. Now I am trying to figure out if you really can get images on this thing. I need to get them off of my work computer.

Do not worry, I am not mad at you :-) I have learned a lot from your posts. That more than makes up for one mistake.

Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Do edit it so that others do not fall prey to the ipod god.

I have already uploaded 3 of my celtic CDs to it. Now I am trying to figure out if you really can get images on this thing. I need to get them off of my work computer.

Do not worry, I am not mad at you :-) I have learned a lot from your posts. That more than makes up for one mistake.

Doc

If you're just going from computer to iPizzy, you can perhaps use Riorad's anapod explorer. One cool thing about that is that it lets you stream music from your ipod over the internets from anywhere!

• Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    Mike, I did some looking at the apple site and I see 3 devices for handling picture imports into iPods.

One is the camera connector
    Two is a camera connector with a battery so that you do not use the iPod battery to power the download.
    Third is a compact flash reader module that connects directly to the iPod.

Which of these did you test? I think they are all from Belkin. I also saw them in a review at CNet.

The reader looks like it would be the better option for me if it works. I have 2 1 gig CFs and alternating them would be really handy.

Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Now I am trying to figure out if you really can get images on this thing. I need to get them off of my work computer.

Enable the hard drive features of your iPod. Info here.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    Thanks,

I gigured that out last night. Now I am trying to see if Mike tried the 3 methods listed. That CF reader would work good as you do not need the PC to load files.

Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    Hi Stef
    Stef wrote:
    I do need to see if I can get an adapter for the CF to MS so I can download hubbies pics from his 717 and my snaps from my Sony P200. Does anyone know if something like that even exists? I have looked in all the stores and can't find anything. ne_nau.gif

I couldn't find one specifically for the P-2000 but it does exist for other portable storage devices. I would imagine that they would work just fine with your P-2000 since the adapter fits into a CF II slot (but you should verify with someone more reputable than me). :D

I believe that you are looking for something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=378926&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I hope that helps...

Thanks,

Lee
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    Mike, I did some looking at the apple site and I see 3 devices for handling picture imports into iPods.

One is the camera connector
    Two is a camera connector with a battery so that you do not use the iPod battery to power the download.
    Third is a compact flash reader module that connects directly to the iPod.

Which of these did you test? I think they are all from Belkin. I also saw them in a review at CNet.

The reader looks like it would be the better option for me if it works. I have 2 1 gig CFs and alternating them would be really handy.

Doc

I'm not seeing any of those on the apple site (except for the camera connector). Do you have a linkypoo?

• Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    The last two won't work with the iPod video...

• Options
    edited January 5, 2006
    Dang it. Another avenue shot down.

I will keep looking.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    Next to that, I have the Belkin Media Reader (with its own batteries), and it's dog slow with my 3G iPod. Next to that it kills my iPod battery anyhow. Up to now, and iPod plainly sucks for huge photo storage. It might be ok for the occasional offload, but don't build your more advanced portable solution solution around an iPod.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    iPod plainly sucks for huge photo storage. It might be ok for the occasional offload, but don't build your more advanced portable solution solution around an iPod.

Yep.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops