Options

selling a CD of photos taken

PegPeg Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited January 10, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi everyone,
I have a question regarding a requested photo session for a person's dog. He wants a CD of the photos when it's all finished. (Not sure he wants to order prints but am trying to determine that) He is interested in modeling for his dog. So I've asked him how he plans to use the photos. I'm awaiting his answer.

My question revolves around the CD: I see that photographers offer this but doing this allows them to use the images anyway they choose. Is this a copy of the high resolution image? What would be a price range for this? And would you protect yourself by having them sign off on how it's going to be used?
Somehow I don't like the idea of taking the images and "handing over" the work on a CD to him. The most he wants to pay, BTW, is $100. We've not discussed yet what that $100 covers.

I just got my copy of "Pricing your Photographs" and realize I have many more questions than answers.
Peg

Comments

• Options
    SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    Peg wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I have a question regarding a requested photo session for a person's dog. He wants a CD of the photos when it's all finished. (Not sure he wants to order prints but am trying to determine that) He is interested in modeling for his dog. So I've asked him how he plans to use the photos. I'm awaiting his answer.

My question revolves around the CD: I see that photographers offer this but doing this allows them to use the images anyway they choose. Is this a copy of the high resolution image? What would be a price range for this? And would you protect yourself by having them sign off on how it's going to be used?
    Somehow I don't like the idea of taking the images and "handing over" the work on a CD to him. The most he wants to pay, BTW, is $100. We've not discussed yet what that $100 covers.

I just got my copy of "Pricing your Photographs" and realize I have many more questions than answers.
    Peg

I'd batch resize them using Irfanview or PS's batch processing tool, to a resolution of 1024x680 or so... enough for a 4x6 print of the photos. I'd make clear that the CD only contains images large enough for 4x6s, and make clear any larger prints will have to go through you at an additional price to be determined by you. I think that strikes a nice compromise.

That said, you really should have figured the terms out ahead of time.

[Disclaimer: I haven't got into selling my prints, yet.]
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2005
    request came out of the blue
    Thanks, Teething, for the technique of sizing images for the CD. That was completely different from what I had imagined.

This request for a photo session came out of the blue after he saw some of my pet photos on pbase. The request for having the photos on a CD came out of the blue also.

I'm not set up to do this and do not advertise myself as a pet photographer . Hence, my lack of preparation or knowledge when he asked me to take some photos of his dog. It DID get my attention when he mentioned wanting to do some modeling with his pet. And that's the area I've asked for more information. He may be better off hiring a more experienced photographer and doing the shots in a studio. I told him we both want to be happy with the results.

The book on pricing your photography has been very, very helpful, BTW.

I'll post a follow-up if we wind up making mutally beneficial deal.

Peg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    There is software called flip album...I used it to present proofs to clients....there is a feature that allows you to "protect" the cd....by 1: haveing an expiration date and 2: fix the cd so it cannot be copied at the local walmart...have not tried those features yet but I imagine the copyright protection is similar to no right cliking.

Flip album 6 pro link: http://www.flipalbum.com/products/fap6/
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 24, 2005
    Thanks, Art.
    I'll check this out. I hope it works on my Mac.
    Peg
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    My 2 cents if it's worth a penny?
    1st off should always discuss terms before doing any kinda agreement or before you snap even one frame.
    A written contract or release form might come in handy in case of a future problem for either party.
    Least this is what I plan to do.
    May sound paranoid but in this world today there are an awful lotta people out there ready to rip ya off in some way or another. Better safe than sorry.
    Not saying this person will pull anything on ya but photography IS a competive biz.
    Photo's can be easily used by anyone for personal gain even if they didn't take em.

Don't listen to me tho I'm basically a nobody round here.ne_nau.gif

I'm sure Shay or Andy can shed a lotta light on this for ya as I think they deal a lot on the selling end of things?

(I sent both of them a PM....lets see what they have to say?)
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Sorry Peg
    I tried but no reply or input.ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2005
    Good advice
    Thanks, Graphy. You've made an excellent point.

I never heard back from him regarding some basic information regarding the session, like where we would meet to take the photos or if he planned on using them commercially. I felt I asked in a courteous, professional manner but did not feel I could take on the project without more information. Too many unknowns.

Interesting experience and one that is giving me the opportunity to get better prepared if this is something I want to do in the future. Not really sure I want to be hired out to do this kind of work though.

Happy New Year to you.
    And thanks for trying to get Andy's take on it.
    Peg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2005
    Peg wrote:
    Thanks, Graphy. You've made an excellent point.

I never heard back from him regarding some basic information regarding the session, like where we would meet to take the photos or if he planned on using them commercially. I felt I asked in a courteous, professional manner but did not feel I could take on the project without more information. Too many unknowns.

Interesting experience and one that is giving me the opportunity to get better prepared if this is something I want to do in the future. Not really sure I want to be hired out to do this kind of work though.

Happy New Year to you.
    And thanks for trying to get Andy's take on it.
    Peg

This kind of work can be rewarding in more ways than monetary....portfolio building....experience.....take what the person described to you and try out what ever you think he was refering to.......
    Also take this experience and build a questionaire for prospects....but always protect yourself.....if client dosen't want to pay much ($100 is not much) then ask for rights to use for yourself.....have agreements notorized and give the client a release to use your work also (also notorized)...now this may be a little overboard buuuut...in the end it makes some clients feel better because it is legal and binding......always protect yourself.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 29, 2005
    Thanks, Art.
    You're right about looking at all the benefits of doing a session like this. That's why I inititally consented to work with him, figuring we'd talk about the details and come to an agreement. I think my numerous questions signaled something else unacceptable to him. Taking pet photos is a favorite activity so I may still keep my options open on that area.

I appreciate very much getting the tips on forms and legal issues to consider.
    This is a new world to look into but one I realize now I need to get educated on.
    Happy New Year.
    Peg
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2006
    It sounds like a joe public type thing. They are not commercial and dont understand all the commercial sides of things. They do understand flat fees however, and that is why he mentioned $100 which is his happy price. It might not be your happy price however, especially depending on how much work would be involved.

I would find out what is needed, then determine what I would need to charge to walk away happy. If the potential customer balks, then reduce goods and or services to lower the price so you and he wind up happy or at least sataisfied. If no agreement can be reached, then no deal, walk away with a smile :-)

Don't do anything until the full scope of the work is known. Get the agreement down in writting before anything happens.
    Peg wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Peg
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2006
    Thanks, Shay.
    He never contacted me again after I asked him about where the session would be held here in town (twice) and if he planned on using them commercially, for he'd mentioned getting his dog into modeling. I believe I was entering into the negotiation stage, albeit backwards.
    My mistake, I realize now, was talking price too early without determing all the things you and others have mentioned. I wasn't feeling good about what was expected of me for that low fee so while I feel like I missed a good opportunity for a new photography experience, it was his decision to walk away and discontinue contact.
    Peg