Bees Knees

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited April 26, 2014 in Holy Macro
Didn't know crop sensor would help macro as well, so thanks Paul + Ian!:bow
Below are my attempts with 7D. Bees were very active so hard to get lock on. Could not clean up the back ground for two shots where pure black would have helped but pattern is what too intricate.

All helpful pointers and criticism is cherished!

1)

IMG_1058-XL.jpg

2)

IMG_1075-XL.jpg

3)

IMG_1149-XL.jpg

4)

IMG_1164-XL.jpg

5)

IMG_1102-XL.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2014
    Lovely series - esp like #5.
    As a general pointer I would try using a more open aperture say around F11/F13. This should help brighten the backgrounds a bit.
    Brian V.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2014
    Thanks Brian! I will give bigger aperture a go. I think it even helps with focus, but I may be misreading data.
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Brian! I will give bigger aperture a go. I think it even helps with focus, but I may be misreading data.

One point I'm not sure of- when you talk about focus lock on are you talking about autofocus ?
    Just most macro shooters when shooting near 1:1 magnification or higher use manual focus.
    Brian v.
  • silvio000silvio000 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2014
    Uau Stumblebum, you managed to do the hard part, capturing bees.
    I find it so hard to lock on Bees :-(

As for focus lock, as Brian, i was also confused because it seemed like you were using autofocus.

I always get the best results in using manual focus, or at least manual override. I set the focus to the shorter distance and then i move towards the subject until i see a focus point.

Sílvio Oliveira

Sílvio Oliveirawww.silviooliveira.net

edited April 25, 2014
    silvio000 wrote: »
    Uau Stumblebum, you managed to do the hard part, capturing bees.
    I find it so hard to lock on Bees :-(

As for focus lock, as Brian, i was also confused because it seemed like you were using autofocus.

I always get the best results in using manual focus, or at least manual override. I set the focus to the shorter distance and then i move towards the subject until i see a focus point.

Sílvio Oliveira

Thanks Silvio! I was going to bring up that question......the bees never stop moving....ever...so getting close and then reaching for focus ring is exercise in futility....but NOW I know the right strategy.....get relative focus on some subject and then do I hold shutter half way?.....see the focus point come up and beep....if that works....then next step would be to practice the art of moving back and forth...as at that depth of field, slightest movement and focus is lost.

Thanks again brother! This helps a lot! Will give it a go! Cheers!clap.gif
    edited April 25, 2014
    I use the back button to focus, so that i dont need tô half press the shutter. Using the back focus button is the greatest trick i learned. My shutter is just for shooting. Give it a go, you might like it.

Silvio

edited April 25, 2014
    silvio000 wrote: »
    I use the back button to focus, so that i dont need tô half press the shutter. Using the back focus button is the greatest trick i learned. My shutter is just for shooting. Give it a go, you might like it.

Silvio

Back button?headscratch.gif Live view? How do I find it on canon bodies?ne_nau.gif
    edited April 25, 2014
    How to Set Back Button Focus on a Canon 7D: http://youtu.be/Gbs6dlNGLhY

Hope it helps.

edited April 25, 2014
    Thanks Silvio! Have to check this out! Saw other goodies there too!
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2014
    for close-up work its almost undoable to use auto-focus , for several reasons

just use your eyes
    move back / forward , when the eyes come in focus you shoot
    edited April 25, 2014
    Thank Bas! That's what I have to learn to do...and lose the fear of MF! Cheers!
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited April 26, 2014
    Good shots, like last frame best , when shooting bees I use higher iso , say 400. And with a slower shutter speed. 1/60 th - 1/140 th to balance flash to slow more background light into the frame and prevent black background .
    Always manual focus :)