Rael (Shot With My New Lens And Reflector)

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited December 26, 2005 in People
i shot my friend rael today. she was my very first model and she was more than happy to pose for me again. i had another modeled scheduled for today but she had to reschedule and rael wanted to shoot, so we did. yesterday i bought a used canon 17-40 f4L for a very good price, so i wanted to use it today. i also got a gigantic silver/gold reflector from a friend for free (WOO!).

i decided to use both of my new toys for today's shoot. unfortunately my best friend dave couldn't tag along to hold the reflector for me so i was forced to wrestle with it while trying to compose the shot. it was very difficult and i probably won't be doing it again, but it did help a lot with shadows.

i didn't get too many great pictures today because i was dealing with the reflector and a new lens, but here is one that i am very proud of. please tell me what you think:

49362179-L-0.jpg

Comments

• JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    I like it, the two dirrection shadows are a little ovious though.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I like it, the two dirrection shadows are a little ovious though.

what do u mean?
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    headscratch.gifI didn't notice. I really love that light you got therethumb.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    To my eye the shadow differance between her hair in her neck vs her jacket is ovious, but I am prolly being really picky. All told pretty good for first time out with the reflector and having to hand hold it yourself.

James.
    binghott wrote:
    what do u mean?
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    To my eye the shadow differance between her hair in her neck vs her jacket is ovious, but I am prolly being really picky. All told pretty good for first time out with the reflector and having to hand hold it yourself.

James.

Ohh, I see what he means.

The shadow of her jacket on her neck throws off your eye when her whole face is cleanly exposed.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    I love the color in the eyes. I rarely ever get anything good like that with brown eyes. Awesome work!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    picky picky... I think the light on her face is great.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 24, 2005
    I was waiting for the urban shots with the crowds in manhattan?

This is real nice. Lookout for Barry once he masters that reflection. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    VEEEERRRRY VEEEEEERY NICE!!!! thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 24, 2005
    The shadow of her jacket on her neck throws off your eye when her whole face is cleanly exposed.

now i got it, thanks! i see what you're saying, it's a new toy, i'm just gettin used to it. besides that, i was holding it in one hand while shooting with the other, so i couldn't get the best possible angles with it.

i also realized that shooting with a wide lens makes it even harder when shooting with a reflector in my hand because the reflector wants to make it into the frame.

thanks for your comments!
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    :D I know the drill. Just watchout for the racoon eyes (not in this shot) that you get from balancing the reflector on your feet.. hehe.
    edited December 26, 2005
    here's another of rael, i didn't use the reflector very well for this shot, but i think it still came out pretty well.

49587127-M.jpg