Spider on the garage door

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited May 7, 2014 in Holy Macro
Saw this think jump while parking car! It is not very big, but very colorful!

What did I get? All helpful pointers and criticism is cherished. Below are my attempts:

1)

IMG_1489-X2.jpg

2)

IMG_1491-X2.jpg

3)

IMG_1494-X2.jpg

4)

IMG_1500-X2.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2014
    Lovely series SB- looks like a male lynx spider.
    Trying to work out if it was shot in strong sunshine as you do have some hot spots and fairly strong shadow suggesting you either need more diffusion on the flash or perhaps lower it's angle or try shading the subject with the camera or your body when shooting in strong sun. The latter does not work for many flying bugs though as they will fly off if you try shading them.
    Brian v.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2014
    Thanks Brian! All flash. Came after work so it was evening and garage had very little ambient light. I did brighten it. At some point the flash was banging on the garage door. Was very close to the subject. I did have plastic diffuser on.
    Considering Ring-Lite from canon. It also has E-TTL built in. What I don't know is what they do for diffuser.
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2014
    Amazing eyes and a fat head!

Very nice!

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

edited May 1, 2014
    Paul Iddon wrote: »
    Amazing eyes and a fat head!

Very nice!

Paul.

Thanks Paul! I like its hands too! Never seen that before!
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2014
    forget the ring-flash
    Canon also has twin-flash , which is better , but for diffuser you are on you own ( DIY )

a better option would be to use a regular flash unit , as shown in the stickies http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=579810&postcount=1
    this way you can also use the unit for other purposes
    edited May 1, 2014
    basflt wrote: »
    forget the ring-flash
    Canon also has twin-flash , which is better , but for diffuser you are on you own ( DIY )

a better option would be to use a regular flash unit , as shown in the stickies http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=579810&postcount=1
    this way you can also use the unit for other purposes

Thanks Bas! I asked about ring-lite diffuser and answer was that bulbs are spread out so you don't have to deal with it, but I didn't buy it.

The picture looks like paper towel wrapped aound with electrical tape!!! LOVE IT!

I have a FOTOIDIX soap box diffuser. Will give it a try soon. If that disappoints, then paper-towel and tape!

Thanks much again!
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2014
    actually you can use whatever you want , as long as it white

if then the light seems still too strong , experiment with settings to lower the amount of flash

combination of plastic factory diffuser and paper towel is also possible
    trial and error is keyword here , just experiment what suits you best

oh , before i forget
    check here if you are interested in ID
    edited May 1, 2014
    basflt wrote: »
    actually you can use whatever you want , as long as it white

if then the light seems still too strong , experiment with settings to lower the amount of flash

combination of plastic factory diffuser and paper towel is also possible
    trial and error is keyword here , just experiment what suits you best

oh , before i forget
    check here if you are interested in ID

Can't express enough gratitude for instruction and info! Will experiment! Cheers!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 1, 2014
    I agree with bas fit's suggestions, and I do own and use a Canon ring light and the dual flash head device from Canon as well.

The ring light is great for flat subjects, like stamps or coins, or even intra oral dental shots, but does not give good cross lighting like you might think it would. The dual light can give nice cross lighting, but is large, heavy, and I find, rather awkward.

I prefer a single ETTL flash with a diffuser off camera - either an ETTL cord, or one of Canon's off camera flash controllers, IR or radio. Paper towel and duck tape seem to work quite well the diffuser. One can always use a nice soft reflector opposite your single flash for fill if needed. White card board, or a nice Lastolite Triflector, if you have one, and you should...
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 1, 2014
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I agree with bas fit's suggestions, and I do own and use a Canon ring light and the dual flash head device from Canon as well.

The ring light is great for flat subjects, like stamps or coins, or even intra oral dental shots, but does not give good cross lighting like you might think it would. The dual light can give nice cross lighting, but is large, heavy, and I find, rather awkward.

I prefer a single ETTL flash with a diffuser off camera - either an ETTL cord, or one of Canon's off camera flash controllers, IR or radio. Paper towel and duck tape seem to work quite well the diffuser. One can always use a nice soft reflector opposite your single flash for fill if needed. White card board, or a nice Lastolite Triflector, if you have one, and you should...

Thanks Pathfinder! Some of those things I would have to look up, but I got the diffuser part down! I will try the paper towel and tape as well....I guess folding it couple of times is enough?

I am already concerned about the weight as it makes it tough to hold everything steady and tripod is not always an option.

Thanks much for the detailed input!!
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 7, 2014
    Good looking spiders.

Single or double kitchen towel works ok as a starting point for home made diffusers
    edited May 7, 2014
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    Good looking spiders.

Single or double kitchen towel works ok as a starting point for home made diffusers

Thanks Phil! Needed that clue...gonna try it this weekend!!!
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    Sorry I missed this thread.

Excellent shots of a very cool looking spider. Can't add any more to the advice on the diffuser as it's pretty much covered. Getting the light as close to the front element is important as I've read plenty of times. I use a ridiculously large softbox for my shots but it does get the light right down there :)
    edited May 7, 2014
    Thanks Ian. I found that for soap box, if the angle is not right, it blocks the ambient light....so came back to plastic latch on one for outdoors....and gonna add a kitchen towel to it for little more diffusion! Cheers!