Options

Multiple sections in same gallery?

akcorcoranakcorcoran Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited May 8, 2014 in SmugMug Support
So, I've just come over from Phanfare where I had the ability for an "album" to have multiple sections - e.g. My sister's wedding had a section for the rehearsal dinner, the "Getting ready," the ceremony, the reception. Great.

I know I cannot do that in Smugmug - each has to be its own Gallery. But as far as I can see, then they have to be in a Folder - and a Folder canNOT integrate in with galleries?!! So, I'm left with my sister's wedding stuck somewhere else out of chronological order for the year?

Here's a page with an example of the current dynamic - London trip was in June of 2012 - but I can't achieve that without having 18 Galleries - all for the trip to England - in the middle of my galleries, and not in a folder? ARGH!
http://teamcorcoran.smugmug.com/2012

Seems like a pretty simple thing - to gather multiple galleries into a gallery?

Any workarounds? I'm comfortable with CSS and the like so willing to do some work if need be. Thanks for your help -

Comments

• Options
    FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    Having a folder with galleries inside is probably the simplest and most straightforward way.

You can also have separate gallaries and then display the photos on a web page, by putting the galleries in manually, but I think that will be less flexible. Variations on that them where the galleries are smart and populated by keywords, etc. might allow you to have one physical gallery and more than one display.

But offhand I think just a folder with each gallery in there is the simplest. In Collage Landscape it's very attractive (example: http://www.captivephotons.com/Events has a bunch of sports galleries).

In the older smugmug, and maybe in the classic current UI (though I have not tried) you could embed URL's in the description which would take you to a specific position in the gallery, like a table of contents. I do not know how to do that in Collage Landscape (which I did), as that allows you to have a huge gallery with quick jumps into it.
  • Options
    ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    akcorcoran wrote: »
    So, I've just come over from Phanfare where I had the ability for an "album" to have multiple sections - e.g. My sister's wedding had a section for the rehearsal dinner, the "Getting ready," the ceremony, the reception. Great.

I know I cannot do that in Smugmug - each has to be its own Gallery. But as far as I can see, then they have to be in a Folder - and a Folder canNOT integrate in with galleries?!! So, I'm left with my sister's wedding stuck somewhere else out of chronological order for the year?

Here's a page with an example of the current dynamic - London trip was in June of 2012 - but I can't achieve that without having 18 Galleries - all for the trip to England - in the middle of my galleries, and not in a folder? ARGH!

Seems like a pretty simple thing - to gather multiple galleries into a gallery?

Any workarounds? I'm comfortable with CSS and the like so willing to do some work if need be. Thanks for your help -

I believe you can achieve what you want - but I'm not sure what you want exactly. What does "a folder cannot integrate in with galleries" mean?

You can drag the folders, galleries and pages content blocks into any folder, gallery, or page, and choose specific galleries, folders, or pages, to populate them.

For example if you have a gallery for the Wedding Total - what photos would reside there?
    Then you can drag a galleries content block into the page, and choose the galleries to populate (as thumbnail image links). The contents of each of those galleries would be organized elsewhere on your site.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    You do things like:

Top Folder>Sub-Folders>Galleries or any combination. You can name a folder anything, and treat it like a gallery. You can also make a custom page to place both galleries and folders on one page in a layout you like. For instance. In my Family & Friends folder (which I call a category), I have both galleries and sub-folders displayed on a custom built page. Here's another custom page I created to house sub folders and galleries. You can even make pages that host pages made to look like a gallery.

Here's a help page showing how you can go down 7 levels.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    Is your head spinning yet? :)
    Not only can you put blocks of anything almost anywhere, you can name them or call them anything than what they really are.
    What you see in Organizer mode, can have no resemblance to how you set up your site for visitors.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    Well, I understand those are all viable options but I organize my photos chronologically - any of those options will remove a very significant event from the narrative of the year? With children growing and happenings every month, I don't want to stick an important event somewhere else out of that timeline? It's so illogical to me?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    Well, I understand those are all viable options but I organize my photos chronologically - any of those options will remove a very significant event from the narrative of the year? With children growing and happenings every month, I don't want to stick an important event somewhere else out of that timeline? It's so illogical to me?

Can you sketch a line drawing of how you want it to work?
    If you had "a section for the rehearsal dinner, the "Getting ready," the ceremony, the reception..." didn't those exist as links to other pages/galleries?
    And - what does this mean, you think " a Folder canNOT integrate in with galleries"?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    Another thing that would be helpful, if you know of a Phanfare example that is laid out as you want it?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    Sorry if I'm not being clear - I will post examples as soon as i can.

Basically if you look at the example link above from my 2012 page, i just want that little thumbnail for the FOLDER for the Trip to London (example link above) to appear in June 2012 - after the May 2012 gallery thumbnails and before the July 2012 galleries. Then when you click on it, it could have the 18 sub-galleries in it. I wouldn't want one gallery for 2 weeks on vacation, too much at once.

But the narrative of the year - the chronology isn't interrupted.

I will post the Phanfare link when i am able - it's only giving me mobile links right now.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    P.S. I do understand that there are many lovely ways to organize other than chronological order, but I need time as the organizing principle right now. It's the rhythm of our life right now. :)
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    For this, "i just want that little thumbnail for the FOLDER for the Trip to London (example link above) to appear in June 2012 - after the May 2012 gallery thumbnails and before the July 2012 galleries." - do you mean on one URL page, you want, in a vertical organization:

May 2012 photos [NOT A LINK TO A GALLERY where the photos are]
    June 2012 FOLDER LONDON TRIP
    July 2012 Gallery link A, Gallery link B, Gallery Link C

Does your entire history exist on one URL? All of time?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    No - I will repost the links. Ignore the design bc I have much to do there but just wanted to get structure and 12 yrs of photos over from Phanfare first.

Top page has slideshow, Year by Year (to folders for each year), and some other stuff (still working on that.)
    http://teamcorcoran.smugmug.com

Each year has it's own page:

Then you'll see that the galleries proceed (reverse chronological right now). Plan was to add a slideshow with "best of" at the top of the page. But I would like the whole year in uniform thumbnails.

Does that make sense? If I have to make our trip to London multiple galleries, it's too much. I would love to design a fabulous separate page for it with all sorts of fun, but want it to be listed among the others chronologically -

Thx
  • Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    I think I understand what you want to do. This may work for you:

1) Click Customize > Customize site
    2) Click the All Folders heading
    3) Drag a Folders, galleries and Pages content block to the main view (under Content > Navigation). This content block allows you to display folders, galleries, and pages all within the same area (rather than divided sections)
    4) Edit that content block and set it to be arranged by name. Since you are naming your galleries and folders with a date system, that should arrange them in order by date, putting the folder in the middle of the galleries in the correct position.

I hope this helps!
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    You're kidding! I thought that was what had led to the current separation of "church & state" - making folders on top, then galleries, then pages, thinking that was already the layout used. I'll try it as soon as I get home. Thanks!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2014
    You're kidding! I thought that was what had led to the current separation of "church & state" - making folders on top, then galleries, then pages, thinking that was already the layout used. I'll try it as soon as I get home. Thanks!
    Keep in mind that order you select items is the order they will appear. That can not be changed without
    re-picking in another order.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    Allen wrote: »
    Keep in mind that order you select items is the order they will appear. That can not be changed without
    re-picking in another order.

OK - so, I'm back and that DID work for me, but I did find that I could choose (in the second tab of the settings for the "Folders, Gallieries, Pages" module) that I could choose to sort by a couple different options - one of which says, "Organizer Position" - does that not mean manual? For me, by date can work b/c I have a naming system (Year-month-day - so then I can choose ascending of descending) and lo and behold, the trip to england in June is between the May photos and the July photos - wahoo!

Thank you so much!

i-ZnmZTqG-S.png
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    "Organizer Position" means it will sort according to how you set it via the Organizer. See this help page, it's detailed partway down the page.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    Darter02 wrote: »
    "Organizer Position" means it will sort according to how you set it via the Organizer. See this help page, it's detailed partway down the page.

That's what I thought but you can't move the folder - is that what you were saying? So, it will slot the folder in wherever it lands, but by name or date? I can't move the folder in the organizer, so that's what I'm trying to figure out.

For some reason, on two of the years, the transition to the one grouping worked perfectly. But for some reason, one year it's not correctly sorting the names (and I double checked the names as well as the smugmug short URLs) - hmmm…
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    I was just telling you what organizer position meant.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2014
    Yes, thanks - and that's definitely my preference. I guess I'm just wondering where the "folder" goes when you choose "Folders, Galleries and Pages" because you can't actually MOVE the folder around in the organizer? (A folder within a folder is locked in position in the organizer, you know?)

Anyway, I'm just thrilled that I can get my photos back to being organized the way I like them. :-) Thanks, all!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2014
    In the organize screen, you can arrange not only photos and galleries, but also folders. Just make sure that you open up the folder in question and do the arranging on the main part of the screen on the right. You can't arrange items in the tree on the left. For additional details on using the organize screen, check out this page.

That said, there's an issue with the folders, galleries and pages content block on where it may not always respect the positions you've set up in the organizer. Right now, the only option to avoid that would be to set up different content blocks for folders and galleries.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2014
    I see you got it! Looks very nice. :)