Options

Gmail invites

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited September 3, 2004 in The Big Picture
I have some gmail invites to give out. If your interested, send me an email. davidkapp@gmail.com

**All invites have been sent out**

Dave

Comments

• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    e-mail sent
    dkapp wrote:
    I have some gmail invites to give out. If your interested, send me an email. davidkapp@gmail.com

Dave
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    e-mail sent
    Just curious, what's a gmail? and why would I want one?ne_nau.gif
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Just curious, what's a gmail? and why would I want one?ne_nau.gif

Gmail is an email account that provides 1gb of storage and 10mb attachments. Right now it is still in beta stage, and the only way to get an account is through and invite from an existing user. When Gmail goes into full release, it will be free for everyone. The main reason to get one now is to get a good username before they are all taken.

When I get more, I'll post again.

Dave
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, David. gmail is a free e-mail account from Google. Why free? Because you grant them permission to scan your e-mails for key words. I believe that your e-mail box is then adorned with ads, like a Google search page. The difference is that these ads are targeted to your interests, based on the information gleaned from your e-mails.

Am I close?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, David. gmail is a free e-mail account from Google. Why free? Because you grant them permission to scan your e-mails for key words. I believe that your e-mail box is then adorned with ads, like a Google search page. The difference is that these ads are targeted to your interests, based on the information gleaned from your e-mails.

Am I close?

That is what I have read, but I have not seen any ads in my email yet. This may be because its still a beta. For myself, and many others we have a primary email account and use the Gmail just for mass sorage.

I upload my favorite D70 raw files while I travel for safe keeping until I get home. This to me is a great feature. I don't know of any other free email that allows such large attachments.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2004
    Ah, good point re: the attachments.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    That is what I have read, but I have not seen any ads in my email yet. This may be because its still a beta. For myself, and many others we have a primary email account and use the Gmail just for mass sorage.

I upload my favorite D70 raw files while I travel for safe keeping until I get home. This to me is a great feature. I don't know of any other free email that allows such large attachments.

Dave

All mail sent and received from gmail is not just archived but is indexed for key words. It is important to realise that those key words are not just a few chosen for marketing purposes but are mined from the total content. The email addresses of your friends and relatives, your and their political views, sexual preferences, jokes, literally *everything*. By using gmail you are sacrificing not only your privacy but also the privacy of your corespondents. Do you actually feel moral doing that?

All domains that I admin block send to gmail and receive from gmail.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    All mail sent and received from gmail is not just archived but is indexed for key words. It is important to realise that those key words are not just a few chosen for marketing purposes but are mined from the total content. The email addresses of your friends and relatives, your and their political views, sexual preferences, jokes, literally *everything*. By using gmail you are sacrificing not only your privacy but also the privacy of your corespondents. Do you actually feel moral doing that?

I'm not sure how reply to this. Thanks for the attack?

I may have to come back to this one. Right now I don't feel like taking you off your soap box to stand on mine.

Enjoy.

Dave
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Works for me.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:

dkapp wrote:

I may have to come back to this one. Right now I don't feel like taking you off your soap box to stand on mine.

Enjoy.

Dave
    No attack intended. And no soap box. Just folks should realize that what gmail gets from subscribers they feel is profitable enough to 'give' away the free storage and mail account. And it is true that it is not just the subscribers privacy but also the corespondents' privacy that is lost. Except they do not get anything from it. The subscriber provides his/her bud's privacy to gmail just by engaging in email. If the subscriber uses gmail to subscribe to a mailing list then s/he is handing over the entire data of the list. Thus the question.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2004
    This argument could go on forever. We are looking at this service from two different perspectives.

This thread was created to give away invites to people who want them. All invites are gone. If you want to discuss the merits of gmail & your conspiracy theory behind it all I suggest you start a new thread, or hijack another.

Your methods of discussion have much to be desired. Maybe no attack was meant on your behalf, but from where I sit, it was an attack and was not welcome.

My discussion on gmail & involvement in this thread ends here.

Hopefully this will not hinder our discussion in other threads.

Dave
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 30, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Hey thanks for making it hard for some people to send quick messages!

Gmail rocks BTW.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2004
    Or, you could get 3GB of email storage for $18.99/year. Not free, but darn close to it.

http://www.spymac.com/mailpro/
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2004
    dkapp wrote:

Enjoy.

Dave
    THAT WAS A VERY GOOD COME BACK JW
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2004
    jwear wrote:
    THAT WAS A VERY GOOD COME BACK JW
    You may say so but not a single detail of the facts of gmails operation was rebutted or even addressed and the only thing done was a personal attack on me for presenting those details. Look back over the thread carefully.

Now I had let it drop and JW had also... How about you also let it drop.
  • Options
    edited September 3, 2004
    Time to bring in the soapbox removal company.
    Sid.