Options

OOYCZ 6 - Motion

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited May 26, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hadn't gone out with this gig specifically in mind, but having to use a slow-ish SS because light was different / lower from what was forecast (there's a thing - difficult to believe, huh :) ) produced this result.

I know what my feelings are about it - but am keeping quiet this time ...

pp

btw ... apols that it's another boring CG shot

_MGL1712-1-800_zps55fe914f.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2014
    Personally I think it is fantastic. Besides hitting the motion theme dead on, the lighting is absolutely perfect. The only thing I would do is remove some of the noise.

Fantastic shot IMO! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2014
    Jeromy - thanks for having a look and commenting ... and yes, I suspect that you'll not be alone re suggesting a bit of NR wouldn't be amiss :)
    (I also have a love / hate relationship with noise, too ... )

Comment about lighting is interesting, as I think I'd have preferred it to have been going the other way ... and I might have got a catchlight, but then the spray pattern would've been different. Swings n roundabouts.

pp
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2014
    I don't know why you say it is a boring shot. I don't think it is boring at all.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2014
    Well, Canada Geese aren't exactly rare (over here), aren't high on the average person's radar as regards 'most loved species', more or less totally discounted by most bird watchers / twitchers etc etc ...

Consider a common scenario (for me) at my local venue (where this was shot) ... I'm grovelling around at water level with fairly substantial cam kit, a twitcher / birdwatcher sees me and very often (mistakenly) assumes that I
    a) Am another 'birdy' type ... 'cos of the gear I'm using
    b) Can identify various species other than the very common - by both sight and sound
    etc
    ... and then at some stage ... usually early on - they enquire whether I've seen anything rare / interesting or am I after a partic bird.

If I respond by saying I haven't got a clue about any of this lot, would prefer a decent shot of a common / boring bird over a rubbish shot of an exotic species (which Ido,) ... oh, ... and btw I'm trying to get a decent shot of that Canada Goose over there, doing something interesting ... the response is generally similar to one that I'd also get if I said I'd just arrived from planet Zod :)

So... the comment was mostly about the subject :)

Even had one guy - who saw me at both the start and finish of his 'doing the rounds' - about a couple of hrs ... tell me that in this time 'I've seen about 20+ species ... what've you seen ... about 3? ...

Glad you don't think it's a boring 'shot', btw.

pp
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2014
    Birders are sometimes a little bit snotty. Not all of them - my college roommate is one but she doesn't look down on me because I can't identify all the bird species. If I had been doing the last challenge, it would have had to be a cardinal or maybe an English sparrow or perhaps a pigeon.

Everything counts.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2014
    Nice shot Paul ... and not boring at all !

Your comments on twitchers really made me laugh out loud - or Laughing.gif as the youngsters might say!. I can really relate to your views.
    I love photographing birds & wildlife and confess I can actually identify a couple now (sadly perhaps, but one or two even by sound)
    However I also dread someone just wearing the binocks, or the "spotter scope" trying to engage me expectantly in deep conversation on it - I mainly just enjoy the photography.
    That all said, I still hold a respect for anyone that is passionate about anything - even if its not my thing. They possibly think photography is pointless - who knows.

Alan.

PS - I camped out around the pond in my garden today and photographed common garden birds bathing. Hopefully also not considered boring!
    I might chuck a couple into this comp for the fun of it ... but they're not as good as yours.
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2014
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    ...Your comments on twitchers really made me laugh out loud - or Laughing.gif as the youngsters might say!. I can really relate to your views.
    I love photographing birds & wildlife and confess I can actually identify a couple now (sadly perhaps, but one or two even by sound)
    However I also dread someone just wearing the binocks, or the "spotter scope" trying to engage me expectantly in deep conversation on it - I mainly just enjoy the photography.

Glad it raised a 'laff', Alan and yes, whilst even I have added a few sounds to my 'knowledge base', I did become a little confused one evening. Thought I could hear the AF acquire 'beep' of another regular snapper ... but couldn't see him - so assumed he was in the bushes / reeds having a go at smaller birds. Needless to say, it wasn't him, but some bird pretending to be a 70D :)

Fortunately, 'binock' wearers ... and if parading in pairs, especially the female of the species ... are generally minded to bypass me in 'lo down bum / bike park mode' since they presumably have misgivings about what might confront them if it stands up:)
    ...That all said, I still hold a respect for anyone that is passionate about anything - even if its not my thing. They possibly think photography is pointless - who knows.

Likewise ... unless it's a passion for GBH (of the non-avian kind) or any similar anti-social activity. I'm lucky enough to know / have known some really great people (within this field) who are totally different from the exaggerated caricatures I've sketched - and it's a pleasure being out and about with them.

PS - I camped out around the pond in my garden today and photographed common garden birds bathing. Hopefully also not considered boring!
    I might chuck a couple into this comp for the fun of it ... but they're not as good as yours.

Even more of a challenge, imo - to get half decent pix of small, fast subjects ... and judging by your usual contributions, I suspect any results will be far from naff.

As is often said with w/life, luck is involved ... and that was true with this shot, too - to some extent.
    I was half expecting some sort of action because of the noise being made, but was still only half ready when things 'kicked off'

Don't think anything other than stupidity is involved re getting up @ 0330 to be on site for sunrise, tho ... for this 'night owl' anyway :)

Thanks for looking and commenting, Alan.

pp
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited May 26, 2014
    Yes, Canada Geese can be a nuisance but this is a very nice shot. Love the lighting, the spray and the reflections in the water.