Options

OOMCZ motion

grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
edited May 26, 2014 in The Dgrin Challenges
I am in Katy (Houston) visiting grandchildren. We are going to a Karate class or two for the youngest one, and to a pop concert for the middle one and I hope that those places will be condusive to getting motion shots.

We left from the hotel this morning about 4:15 for a 6:15 a.m. flight. I thought I might get some motion shots because it was dark, but this is the only real one that I can identify (I have to wait until June to get the glasses prescription of my right eye updated after cataract surgery and right now everything at a distance is blurred with that eye)

IMG_2782.JPG
“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

Comments

• Options
    CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2014
    Karate class will be a perfect chance to catch some good motion shots!
    Just remember to switch your camera to Tv so you can control the shutter speed! Just play around with different shutter speeds till you get something you like :)
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2014
    Another thought re a possible shot that might be practical ... is one of the 'get someone to stand still whilst everyone else moves' shot ... using a very slow shutter speed.
    Whilst I appreciate this isn't new (what is?), imo if done well, they're still worth doing.

Just a thought as communal areas, such as you're probably experiencing whilst travelling - might offer some potential - and you have a ready made 'stander stiller' at your beck and call, maybe?

pp
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2014
    Good idea. I am not sure what the conditions in the karate class will be. Apparently the viewing area is cramped. But we will see what we can and do what we can do.
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    I have a lot of photos from this week (over 1800) but most of them are documenting cemeteries and those don't have much motion in them. I do have a couple from the concert, and about 200 from the taekwondo lessons, but the conditions were a bit difficult. Also I still have some vision problems. I won't get my updated prescription until June.

So these are some possibilities.

Ceiling fan

IMG_2823.JPG

In the taekwando studio we were sitting behind a big glass window (with a wall about hip high) facing out where the outside studio wall is all windows. It made everything very back lighted. This one shows the kids waiting to do the punching bags and then running back to the back of the line.

IMG_3251.JPG

This one I tried to follow the motion - not terribly successfully (this is my granddaughter)

IMG_3255.JPG

Unfortunately, this sparring couple was partly behind the side wall

IMG_3263.JPG

One of the instructors with another student

IMG_3277.JPG

Weapons practice (granddaughter on the left of the couple in the back)

IMG_3284.JPG
  • Options
    edited May 21, 2014
    I went to another session but it was in the morning and the light was even worse

IMG_3698.JPGIMG_3713.JPG

Sparing - my granddaughter is in black on the left

IMG_3740.JPG

IMG_3748.JPG

At the concert, there wasn't that much movement in my granddaughter's solo and the lighting was such that everything with a spotlight was blown out. They did have a couple of dancers

IMG_3683.JPG

including this woman

IMG_3685.JPG

who was neither a middle school student, nor a parent

IMG_3686.JPG
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited May 22, 2014
    I think the only one in the bunch that really hit the nail on the head is the first dancer image. Very strong in showing the motion!
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2014
    IMG_3682.JPG

how about this one
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,944 moderator
    edited May 26, 2014
    Glad you had a chance to visit your grand-children in Texas and experiment with capturing motion. The shot of the dancer (not showing up right now), definitely does that.