Options

Sigma 50mm ART

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited June 2, 2014 in Cameras
Hello all!

Without doubt i need 50mm lens to complement my 17-40L and 70-200 2.8. I just love shooting with nifty fifty on full frame. Is it worth spending 800USD (price here) on sigma glass? is it as good as canon L glass (colors contrast wise) i understand it is not dust sealed and heavy.
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited May 19, 2014
    The price for that lens at B&H and Adorama is $950 USD. I would not trust a vendor with a price much below their price. Regardless, I don't think that the lens is available quite yet.

Initial sample images look very good. If the autofocus works reliably , and Sigma HSM lenses are generally very good, then it should be a capable performer.

If you don't need autofocus, and on a Canon body, the Pentax screwmount, 50mm, f1.4, SMC is still a tremendous value. Used with an adapter that has focus confirmation and it compares with Canon's best:

Pentax 50mm exclusively at f5.6 and using the focus confirmation chip on the adapter.

Just a few snaps. Overcast with no distinct shadows. ISO 800 because I was testing for sharpness.

82051204-D.jpg

82051266-D.jpg

82051298-D.jpg

82051322-D.jpg

82051370-D.jpg

And a couple of full-resolution crops:

82271260-D.jpg

82271271-D.jpg

Notes:

A very low contrast day, so moderate USM applied. Sharpness at f5.6 is very good to excellent across the frame. All shots outdoors were in focus, even though I relied on the focus confirmation instead of usual manual focus technique.

I am enough impressed that this lens has replaced the Canon 50mm, f1.8, MKII (plastic) in my standard kit.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2014
    thanks Ziggy, auto is must. i will re-check about price as it is from authorized and only sigma distributor in Pakistan.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    I own the 35mm 1.4 art lens and LOVE LOVE LOVE it.....
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    So help me out. What is an ART lens for nearly a grand $$$ ?
    Duke
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2014
    Sigma's new "luxe" line of lenses. FWIW, I got the 35mm for $750, which is way less than the Canon L 35mm. The 35mm is fast, quiet (AF is terrific), has terrific bokeh, is very nicely balanced on the camera, and is a pleasure to use. I vacillated over getting this or the cheaper Canon 35mm 2.0, but the better build and rave reviews prompted me to give it a try. I haven't been disappointed thumb.gif

PS THe ART lenses can also use the Sigma "dock" - a usb port which allows the lens to be fine-tuned/calibrated without sending it back to the factory. I actually bought the dock (found it cheap at the same time I bought the lens), but haven't had to use it yet. Thought about returning it, but Sigma's track-record with AF is a bit iffy, so decided to keep it "just in case" (like I say, I got a steal of a deal on it!)
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2014
    ylsuper.gifsuperylsuper.gif i think i will get it!

My Gallery
  • Options
    studio12cstudio12c Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 2, 2014
    You will not be disappointed. I have 5 sigma lens, an 85, 35 and 50 mm. They are all as good or (in my view) better then canon. My 35mm is an ART lens and has become my go to lens for video and landscapes.
  • Options
    edited June 2, 2014
    It arrived and i tested, great lens!
    http://www.awaisyaqub.com/Other/Sigma-50mm-Art-Lens/
    IMG_0199-L.jpg

IMG_0250-L.jpg

IMG_0273-L.jpg

My Gallery