Flash Question

SharksSharks Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
edited May 25, 2014 in Holy Macro
Hi everyone :)

I use "Canon 60D + Canon MP-E 65 + Yonguo YN560III + Home Made Flash Diffuser" setup. But this setup desaturate the color as you can see in the examples;

My Flash Setup;

6RaZ30.jpg

Natural Color (Almost same angel, lens and camera settings);

W2qVJm.jpg

Wyh this problem occurs and how i fix that ?

Not: My English not good, sory :(

Comments

• SharksSharks Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2014
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2014
    What bracket is this? Can you give a link to where you got it from?

As for desaturation, you are correct. Too much of it takes the life out of the shot so there is a thin line between right and wrong. I am learning as well....so that's what I know for now! Cheers!
  • basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2014
    two ways
    1 correct in image-editor or Lightroom

2 grey card trick
    i dont have a grey card myself , but a shot of my chrome Zippo works just fine for me

take a shot of anything that looks neutral gray ( outdoors ) and set whitebalance in your camera to that shot

and ,
    make sure the paper on the diffuser is white

edit
    you wil notice that when you adjusted white balance in camera ( #2 ) correcting will be easier ( #1 )

and , needless to say but , shoot in RAW , not JPG

additional note ;
    my English is no good either :D who cares !
    edited May 19, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    What bracket is this? Can you give a link to where you got it from?

As for desaturation, you are correct. Too much of it takes the life out of the shot so there is a thin line between right and wrong. I am learning as well....so that's what I know for now! Cheers!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakuba-Flash-Bracket-Metal-Ball/dp/B009VPO24A

I chance the standart head to little ball head :)
    edited May 19, 2014
    basflt wrote: »
    two ways
    1 correct in image-editor or Lightroom

2 grey card trick
    i dont have a grey card myself , but a shot of my chrome Zippo works just fine for me

take a shot of anything that looks neutral gray ( outdoors ) and set whitebalance in your camera to that shot

and ,
    make sure the paper on the diffuser is white

edit
    you wil notice that when you adjusted white balance in camera ( #2 ) correcting will be easier ( #1 )

and , needless to say but , shoot in RAW , not JPG

additional note ;
    my English is no good either :D who cares !

I shoot RAW all the time. I correct the Photoshop CS6 but some reason color ve contrast not good.

I use same setup for Sigma 150mm F/2.8 macro no problems like that :(
    edited May 19, 2014
    that says nothing
    use a different WB setting the Sigma and the MPE as they are totally different

auto-white balance does weird things sometimes

it is a must to correct it in your image editor ( ACR in this case )

i dont see anything odd , except mayby too much flash
    use some more paper , and or reduce amount of flash
    edited May 19, 2014
    edited May 19, 2014
    Sharks wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakuba-Flash-Bracket-Metal-Ball/dp/B009VPO24A

I chance the standart head to little ball head :)

Thanks man! I can't find it in Amazon-US I guess. Still trying to find best fit for me. Who knew this piece of gear would be so hard to get!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks man! I can't find it in Amazon-US I guess. Still trying to find best fit for me. Who knew this piece of gear would be so hard to get!
    The polaroid heavy duty L bracket is very similar but again the supplied ballhead is not good and you may need to change it (think it's available on amazon).
    Picture of it below with a different ballhead fitted

Brian V.

7675112472_68fa213356_o.jpgCanon 600D macro rig + butterfly by Lord V, on Flickr
    edited May 20, 2014
    Sharks - my setups are fairly similar and I do not get a problem with desaturation (I do shoot RAW). I always use the flash in a similar position to your first shot. The diffuser head is slightly to the side of the lens.
    If you use the flash in the position shown in your last shot I think there is a good chance you will be shooting some light straight in to the lens which will desaturate the image.
    I suspect the diffuser is a bit large for use with the MPE- 65 but would have been fine with a normal macro lens. This makes it a bit unwieldy to get a good position at higher magnifications.

Brian V.
    edited May 20, 2014
    Thanks Brian!!
    edited May 20, 2014
    Sharks - my setups are fairly similar and I do not get a problem with desaturation (I do shoot RAW). I always use the flash in a similar position to your first shot. The diffuser head is slightly to the side of the lens.
    If you use the flash in the position shown in your last shot I think there is a good chance you will be shooting some light straight in to the lens which will desaturate the image.
    I suspect the diffuser is a bit large for use with the MPE- 65 but would have been fine with a normal macro lens. This makes it a bit unwieldy to get a good position at higher magnifications.

Brian V.

Thank you very much for your answer, Lord Vetinari.

I think this is the my problems: "If you use the flash in the position shown in your last shot I think there is a good chance you will be shooting some light straight in to the lens which will desaturate the image."

I try different angel and material my setup. Thanks again :)
    edited May 20, 2014
    An additional question, ı use Yonguo YN-560III maneul (Not TLL) flash and connect my flash for 60D, ı use nikon compatible flash cable. This may be a reason for color problem ? Because the 60D does not detect the flash electronically.

Again sory for my bad English :(
    edited May 20, 2014
    Sharks wrote: »
    An additional question, ı use Yonguo YN-560III maneul (Not TLL) flash and connect my flash for 60D, ı use nikon compatible flash cable. This may be a reason for color problem ? Because the 60D does not detect the flash electronically.

Again sory for my bad English :(
    Possibly might cause problems for the colour settings. I use AWB set on the camera but always change the colour temperature to 5500'C during RAW processing for flash shots. If you shoot RAW and use canon's DPP RAW converter , you could always change the setting to flash in the options for DPP

Brian V.
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    Excellent learning session. I have one other question. Do any of you use a color card to capture accurate color? I shoot a lot of flowers and that is often a problem.

I use a grey card or expo disc to set white balance. I really like using the expo disc when a flash is off camera or for just ambient light.
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2014
    I use a big daft softbox for my shots. It's big enough to put the light at the end of the lens and for the most part doesn't seem to hinder my photographing of bugs. Can't get in tight spots but that isn't often a requirement for me at least.

As for WB, I shoot auto WB and correct in Lightroom. I generally bring my colour temp down to around 4500K and I will admit to using a little camera correction (reintroduce a touch of blue and reduce red) as the flash tends to warm things up quite a lot in comparison to what I was seeing with my own eyes. Macro is too dynamic to fight getting it spot on in camera for every shot.
    edited May 20, 2014
    ^^^
    using a grey card does help
    it wont change the raw , but it makes it easier to correct in LR
    because white balance in LR usually is set to "as shot"

i dont have a grey card , i use my chrome colored Zippo for it
    works fine for me , better then auto-white balance
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 24, 2014
    I have a custom white bsllance set on camera for my flash , when I remember to set it. Lol
    Think it's 4750k. To cool down wb caused by my diffuser .
    As for leaf colour , looks like flash if possibilly bouncing back giving that appearance. Try altering flash angles
  • DeeBugDeeBug Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2014
    The polaroid heavy duty L bracket is very similar but again the supplied ballhead is not good and you may need to change it (think it's available on amazon).
    Picture of it below with a different ballhead fitted

Brian V.

7675112472_68fa213356_o.jpgCanon 600D macro rig + butterfly by Lord V, on Flickr

Hi Brian,if you mind me asking,where did you get the ball head from as two I have picked up were crapheadscratch.gif

Cheers Davy