New Photo Editor

124»

Comments

  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Happily mirrorfree New ZealandRegistered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2014
    ChancyRat wrote: »
    In the meantime (or maybe forever), I LOVE Nicholas' tool, it is fantastic.
    I look forward to SmugMug's reworking of the new Photo Editor, but I expect Nicholas's tool might continue to be my go-to method. It just works.

    I hope Nicholas will be able to maintain it in the event future SmugMug changes, whether announced or unannounced, render it unusable.
  • mbonocorembonocore Social Butterfly Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2014
    phaserbeam wrote: »
    I just tried the new Editor a few minutes back and that was the first thing i was missing. I will not do a request... i will simply not use any gallery style anymore that will make this feature a required tool. That means: No more SmugMug gallery style... I also removed nearly all CSS code i had on my previous design, because i'm tired to keep my site up to date with all the changes done by SmugMug. Some of them are nice...but i really don't want to check my own site every day just to see if SM has released a code update that might break my layout (happened last with the vertical scrollbar in the captions in lightbox-mode).

    Well... i'll give the keyword editor a try... hopefully it is usable. bowdown.gif

    P.S. Just tried to add keywords to multiple photos using ORGANIZE > EDIT > KEYWORDS. I selected "UNSELECT ALL" and selected the photos i wanted to add a keyword to. Then i clicked on "KEYWORDS" on the right panel. Instead of open the keywords-panel like it does when you open a single photo in the editor the panel moves to the left and completely disappears then. Time for another mail to the helpdesk.

    Using FireFox 29...


    We just put a fix in for this scenario. Please let us know if you see it again! Sorry about that Phaser
  • phaserbeamphaserbeam Major grins Registered Users Posts: 452 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    We just put a fix in for this scenario. Please let us know if you see it again! Sorry about that Phaser

    I did just a quick check and that bug of unusable sidebar seem to be fixed. However, the new photoeditor is pretty useless to me. It's much better for me to add tags to photos using my RAW-converter and use a smart-gallery and journal-style-gallery to edit title+captions. eek7.gif
  • mbonocorembonocore Social Butterfly Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2014
    We also just put these changes in as well

    When you click a keyword to edit it, it will now do this on the first click:
    1 - Change the box color
    2 - Make it editable
    3 - Put the cursor after the last character
  • mbonocorembonocore Social Butterfly Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2014
    Lots of Keyboard shortcuts added to the editor to help make your editing experience quicker and easier. You will see the available shortcuts listed in the bottom right hand corner.

    i-bzsVHnB-XL.png
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 13,471 moderator
    edited July 4, 2014
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Lots of Keyboard shortcuts added to the editor to help make your editing experience quicker and easier. You will see the available shortcuts listed in the bottom right hand corner.
    These shortcuts are only available if I make a change on the photo. That means they are only helpful if I plan to change every photo.

    In addition to the options to save / save and move to next, there should always be active keyboard shortcuts to move to the next image or to the previous image.

    --- Denise
  • BaldyBaldy SmugMug co-founder Mountain View, CaRegistered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 6, 2014
    These shortcuts are only available if I make a change on the photo. That means they are only helpful if I plan to change every photo.

    In addition to the options to save / save and move to next, there should always be active keyboard shortcuts to move to the next image or to the previous image.

    --- Denise
    Hi Denise,

    Do the arrow keys not work as an always-available way to skip from one image to the next? The way they work now is when an image is selected, arrow keys move you forward and back. If the focus changes to a text box for changing, say, the caption, then the arrow keys move the cursor within that caption. With the focus change, and with a change to the caption, then we present the shortcut keys to both save and advance. Otherwise you should always have the arrow keys.

    Make sense or is that solution still lacking?

    We just added some bulk options to the tools, which I'll post about next as soon as I make a screen capture.
  • BaldyBaldy SmugMug co-founder Mountain View, CaRegistered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 6, 2014
    Hey everyone,

    A few days ago we released a change to the tools to accomplish two things: Combine title, caption, and keywords into one tool, and provide bulk operations when multiple photos are selected.

    Here's a screen shot:

    i-h4TQXwX-L.jpg

    Let us know what you think.

    Thanks,
    Baldy
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Major grins Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2014
    Baldy,

    As far as I can tell, this still doesn't allow me to put a different caption to each photo without opening each photo in a separate window.

    So, this doesn't solve my problem.

    Gary
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • snakeey11snakeey11 SmugMug Engineer Santa Cruz County, CARegistered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 6, 2014
    GaryBakker wrote: »
    Baldy,

    As far as I can tell, this still doesn't allow me to put a different caption to each photo without opening each photo in a separate window.

    So, this doesn't solve my problem.

    Gary

    Hi Gary,

    Whether you've loaded multiple photos or a single photo into the editor, you can always operate on them on a one-by-one basis. If you load more than one photo (using the Organizer), you can deselect all the photos on the left except the one you wish to modify and then when you use the save/next shortcut it will apply the changes to that photo and then automatically select the next one so you can then edit that one. It works similarly if you load only a single image into the editor: the save/next shortcut will advance to the next photo in the gallery.

    In both cases, the left/right arrow keys should change the photo that's selected if you haven't made any changes to it.

    Hopefully this helps!
    -Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 13,471 moderator
    edited August 6, 2014
    Baldy wrote: »
    Do the arrow keys not work as an always-available way to skip from one image to the next? The way they work now is when an image is selected, arrow keys move you forward and back. If the focus changes to a text box for changing, say, the caption, then the arrow keys move the cursor within that caption. With the focus change, and with a change to the caption, then we present the shortcut keys to both save and advance. Otherwise you should always have the arrow keys.
    Interesting... I find that if I select a single photo from the organizer and go into the title / caption / keyword tool that Save and Cancel buttons are shown. With those buttons shown the arrow keys do nothing. If I click save, essentially releasing the buttons, then I can use the arrow keys to move through the photos in the gallery.

    I find it odd that save / cancel pop up when I haven't made any changes.

    --- Denise
  • snakeey11snakeey11 SmugMug Engineer Santa Cruz County, CARegistered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 6, 2014
    Interesting... I find that if I select a single photo from the organizer and go into the title / caption / keyword tool that Save and Cancel buttons are shown. With those buttons shown the arrow keys do nothing. If I click save, essentially releasing the buttons, then I can use the arrow keys to move through the photos in the gallery.

    I find it odd that save / cancel pop up when I haven't made any changes.

    --- Denise

    Denise,

    You are correct in that when the Save and Cancel buttons are showing, we "lock" down image selection on the left-hand side. So at that point the arrow keys would do nothing. As for the buttons showing when you haven't made any changes, do you have LastPass or any sort of form filling plugin in your browser? I have noticed that LastPass will sometimes fill in one of the fields, which will then cause the buttons to show up. If not, I'd love to hear more about your environment, because that sounds like a bug.

    -Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 13,471 moderator
    edited August 6, 2014
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    Denise,

    You are correct in that when the Save and Cancel buttons are showing, we "lock" down image selection on the left-hand side. So at that point the arrow keys would do nothing. As for the buttons showing when you haven't made any changes, do you have LastPass or any sort of form filling plugin in your browser? I have noticed that LastPass will sometimes fill in one of the fields, which will then cause the buttons to show up. If not, I'd love to hear more about your environment, because that sounds like a bug.

    -Mike
    Hi Mike -
    I don't have LastPass or any form-filling plugin in the browser.

    I just checked again and found that this problem only occurs on IE11. It does not happen on Chrome or on Firefox. I'm running the latest versions of all of the browsers.

    I opened the manage add-ons dialog in IE and I disabled everything. The behavior remains the same so it appears that the (mis)behavior isn't caused by a browser add-on.

    If there is anything else you'd like me to check please let me know. In the meantime, if I need to use the photo editor I'll try to remember to use a different browser.

    --- Denise
  • snakeey11snakeey11 SmugMug Engineer Santa Cruz County, CARegistered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 6, 2014
    Hi Mike -
    I don't have LastPass or any form-filling plugin in the browser.

    I just checked again and found that this problem only occurs on IE11. It does not happen on Chrome or on Firefox. I'm running the latest versions of all of the browsers.

    I opened the manage add-ons dialog in IE and I disabled everything. The behavior remains the same so it appears that the (mis)behavior isn't caused by a browser add-on.

    If there is anything else you'd like me to check please let me know. In the meantime, if I need to use the photo editor I'll try to remember to use a different browser.

    --- Denise

    Hmm, I just checked on a Windows 8/IE 11 virtual machine and didn't see the issue. I'll check on a native Windows box as soon as I get the chance, but in the meantime, if you had any other details to provide that would be great (things like OS, link to the gallery in question, whether or not you launched the editor from the Organizer or a single image in the gallery, etc...). Thanks!

    Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 13,471 moderator
    edited August 7, 2014
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    Hmm, I just checked on a Windows 8/IE 11 virtual machine and didn't see the issue. I'll check on a native Windows box as soon as I get the chance, but in the meantime, if you had any other details to provide that would be great (things like OS, link to the gallery in question, whether or not you launched the editor from the Organizer or a single image in the gallery, etc...). Thanks!

    Mike
    Mike -
    I was using IE11 on Windows 8.1.

    Gallery I was using - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/organize/Wandering-near-home/Summer-2014.
    I selected a single photo in organizer before entering Title / Caption / Keyword.
    I tried a different photo in the same gallery, also tried a different gallery. The problem still occurs.

    The same thing happens if I open a photo in lightbox, select photo tools, select Title / Caption / Keyword.

    --- Denise
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Major grins Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2014
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    Hi Gary,

    Whether you've loaded multiple photos or a single photo into the editor, you can always operate on them on a one-by-one basis. If you load more than one photo (using the Organizer), you can deselect all the photos on the left except the one you wish to modify and then when you use the save/next shortcut it will apply the changes to that photo and then automatically select the next one so you can then edit that one. It works similarly if you load only a single image into the editor: the save/next shortcut will advance to the next photo in the gallery.

    In both cases, the left/right arrow keys should change the photo that's selected if you haven't made any changes to it.

    Hopefully this helps!
    -Mike
    OK. Got it. Thanks for the clarification.

    Not particularly intuitive, but the capability is an improvement over what was implemented.

    Comparing this approach with Nick's Chrome extension (or the old way of doing this on Smugmug), it still falls short of what I desire. I will keep using Nick's extension. It is much easier to use.

    Gary
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • snakeey11snakeey11 SmugMug Engineer Santa Cruz County, CARegistered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 7, 2014
    Mike -
    I was using IE11 on Windows 8.1.

    Gallery I was using - http://www.denisegoldberg.com/organize/Wandering-near-home/Summer-2014.
    I selected a single photo in organizer before entering Title / Caption / Keyword.
    I tried a different photo in the same gallery, also tried a different gallery. The problem still occurs.

    The same thing happens if I open a photo in lightbox, select photo tools, select Title / Caption / Keyword.

    --- Denise

    Thanks Denise, I've reproduced this on my Windows 7 machine with IE11. I'll try to look more into it later today.

    Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 13,471 moderator
    edited August 7, 2014
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    Thanks Denise, I've reproduced this on my Windows 7 machine with IE11. I'll try to look more into it later today.
    Thanks Mike - it's always good to hear that you can reproduce the problem!

    --- Denise
  • snakeey11snakeey11 SmugMug Engineer Santa Cruz County, CARegistered Users Posts: 88 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 21, 2014
    Thanks Mike - it's always good to hear that you can reproduce the problem!

    --- Denise

    I pushed a fix for the IE issue earlier this morning. Please let me know if you are still having problems.

    Thanks!
    Mike
    SmugMug Sorcerer
    (and an avid landscape photographer - view my website)
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Major grins North Andover, MASuper Moderators Posts: 13,471 moderator
    edited August 21, 2014
    snakeey11 wrote: »
    I pushed a fix for the IE issue earlier this morning. Please let me know if you are still having problems.
    Mike -
    I just verified that your fix works well. Thanks!

    --- Denise
Sign In or Register to comment.