Options

Back roads wildlife

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited May 23, 2014 in Wildlife
I live in San Jose, heart of Silicon Valley. However, driving on backroads, once in a while you find some wildlife treasures! Below are my attempts.....all criticism and helpful pointers are cherished!

1)

IMG_4636-X2.jpg

2)

IMG_4570-X2.jpg

3)

IMG_4605-X2.jpg

4)

IMG_4612-X2.jpg

5)

IMG_4637-X2.jpg

6)

IMG_4642-X2.jpg

7)

IMG_1935-X2.jpg

8)

IMG_1880-X2.jpg

9)

IMG_1895-X2.jpg

10)

IMG_1848-X2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited May 23, 2014
    No criticisms. Love #5 and #6. What a happy set of images. Yes, there's game out there all right, when you go out looking for it.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Well, fwiw ...
    Think 1, 5 are v. similar shots and getting rid of the 2 bits of green veg would be on my radar... prob work on 5 as got space under feet.
    2 doesn't do much for me - rear quarter shot and the poles.
    3 is nice, but wonder if cropping a bit off the top and LHs would improve comp so's RHS bird is looking into greater space ?
    4 nice close(r) up, but wonder about crop re having head in upper L thirds rather than upper R thirds position ... prob better shifting AF point at capture?
    6 As 1, 5 but also wonder about a portrait crop?
    7 pick of the bunch(to me) nice pose, complementary bg col, nicely diffused, hand of man gear doesn't detract ... only minor nit is re tail tip ...and whether a small crop to remove even more would take it into the 'deliberate' pic rather than 'just missed' realm?
    8,9 can't help but wonder what these would've been like from a lower pov ... which you probably couldn't achieve / get to :)
    10 as 2

All to be taken with 500g of salt, of course - as always :)

pp
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    David_S85 wrote: »
    No criticisms. Love #5 and #6. What a happy set of images. Yes, there's game out there all right, when you go out looking for it.

Thanks David!!
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Well, fwiw ...
    Think 1, 5 are v. similar shots and getting rid of the 2 bits of green veg would be on my radar... prob work on 5 as got space under feet.
    2 doesn't do much for me - rear quarter shot and the poles.
    3 is nice, but wonder if cropping a bit off the top and LHs would improve comp so's RHS bird is looking into greater space ?
    4 nice close(r) up, but wonder about crop re having head in upper L thirds rather than upper R thirds position ... prob better shifting AF point at capture?
    6 As 1, 5 but also wonder about a portrait crop?
    7 pick of the bunch(to me) nice pose, complementary bg col, nicely diffused, hand of man gear doesn't detract ... only minor nit is re tail tip ...and whether a small crop to remove even more would take it into the 'deliberate' pic rather than 'just missed' realm?
    8,9 can't help but wonder what these would've been like from a lower pov ... which you probably couldn't achieve / get to :)
    10 as 2

All to be taken with 500g of salt, of course - as always :)

pp

Hi Paul, much appreciate the feedback! Below is my attempt to express my admiration and gratitude!
    #1 and #5 are indeed similar, was excited to get this bird so had trouble reducing count....zapped #1 now...
    #2 had back lit fan so kept it for now....frontal shot indeed would have been better....and when I get it, I would delete this one...:D
    #10 I have been chasing these doves forever....and this one was glowing in morning light....but wish it sat on a pretty branch......
    #8 and #9 are odd in the sense that these guys were WAY ABOVE on TOP of a ridge....so not sure why they appear like I was above them...headscratch.gif

#3 I got too attached to the scenery in background, initially wanted the whole flower tree behind it...but really like this cropped version more...

IMG_4605-X2.jpg

#4 Was over valuing the plant behind so wanted whole branch, but its not about the plant is it?:D

IMG_4612-X2.jpg

#5 portrait was better but for sake of variety left it as landscape...but got rid of greens...to be honest, I went back and forth initially on cloning out greens...but could not decide...

IMG_4637-2-X2.jpg

#6 portrait rocks....why I changed #4 to portrait based on this result

IMG_4642-X2.jpg

#7 Had the full tail in original shot but the wire it was sitting on was tilted so when I straightened it out, tail had to be clipped and it was painful....but yes, zooming in makes it look intentional so here it is...

IMG_1935-X2.jpg

Thanks again!bowdown.gifivarclap.gif
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Didn't expect that rapid a response :)
    I've no idea what others will think, but for my money (or lack of, being tight) these are better - esp. 3 imo.

3 is the sort of shot - that if I think about / remember at the time - I'll lock focus and take an extra shot (or 2) of the plain bg* - to the right in this pic, to allow a stitched pano later. May not be what you're after, but sorta gives the impression of the bird looking out upon its patch / 'kingdom' ... as well as keeping an eye on its mate :)
    Having its pinky / red bit at a thirds point would make a good shot even better (to me,anyway)

I suggested getting rid of the green veg since that altered the bg colour palette (as am sure you realised, but maybe others didn't) ... and created a bit of an 'eye pull'

Can see 8,9 now - me not being on the ball - so suppose orig comment should've been - to get down to their level (and shoot up the hillside) ... but they prob would've run off anyway.

* Also useful - imo - with tracking action shots, to add canvas in front of subject ... another benefit of clean bgs, making overlapping / stitching bgs for panos (as per a couple of shots I dumped in my ooycz5 thread.)

All depends on what you're after, of course :)

pp
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Great set. Light, color, resolution are all very good!
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2014
    Very awesome to see the set, then the redo set to appreciate the time taken to analyze. Way to go everyone involved!

My only comment is that #2 is a good shot, IMO. I like things like fence posts, wires, etc. in a shot. They provide the link through which humans can relate to the animal's existence/environment. Seeing the pole in the picture makes it feel more like I might have a chance of seeing a wild turkey. Why? Because I know where to find fence posts with tall grass. Now all I need to do is stake-out until / if / when the turkey arrives.

It's cool to portray an animal in the wild living without the influence / knowledge of humans, and I really never tire of trying to capture that romanticism. However, the reality is that we don't live in that world. This planet has 7 billion humans and some animals are gonna live near us. Therefore, I also like photos that portray that delicate co-existence.

Great work on the entire set, I really dig the adjustments as well!
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Very awesome to see the set, then the redo set to appreciate the time taken to analyze. Way to go everyone involved!

My only comment is that #2 is a good shot, IMO. I like things like fence posts, wires, etc. in a shot. They provide the link through which humans can relate to the animal's existence/environment. Seeing the pole in the picture makes it feel more like I might have a chance of seeing a wild turkey. Why? Because I know where to find fence posts with tall grass. Now all I need to do is stake-out until / if / when the turkey arrives.

It's cool to portray an animal in the wild living without the influence / knowledge of humans, and I really never tire of trying to capture that romanticism. However, the reality is that we don't live in that world. This planet has 7 billion humans and some animals are gonna live near us. Therefore, I also like photos that portray that delicate co-existence.

Great work on the entire set, I really dig the adjustments as well!

Thanks JBR! Your words are NOT lost on me and I would venture a guess, not lost on others as well! From the dude in beach that I thought about cloning out, to beach campers, to the lady who shot the lake in Washington with the tree enhancing the Jefferson monument....I hear you and it is making a difference! Less afraid of humans and signs of humanity now!:ivar

Of-course tastes vary, and sometimes a thing may or may not add to the photo, but one thing is for sure, huumaaans themselves and any sign of their handiwork that creeps into my shots are not automatic deletes any more! Thank-you! Keep on educating brother and keep on shooting!
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    Great set. Light, color, resolution are all very good!

Thanks Phil! Always appreciate your input!!
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2014
    For me, feelings about (obvious) signs of the human virus in a w/l pic will depend on what the pic is about / trying to show / achieve.

With respect to the OP's #2, I'd suggest that there could still have been a pole / fence whatever in frame, still identifiable etc ... but in the bg, somewhat blurred and the feeling of 'connection' would still have been present ... but it would probably have been a 'better' pic (whatever 'better' means :) )

My thoughts re 'wild' have already been stated - so I'll not flog that particular nag any more :)

pp